Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

It's like a cat died in my PC case.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Seraphine, Aug 16, 2011

1. Jul 23, 2010
    So, since I've become addicted to Elder Scrolls:Oblivion, I've noticed that my computer started making some weird sounds. Intermittently, it sounded like my PC was about to take off into outer space. The fans were really loud and it only happened when I played the game. More often it happened when the graphics got a bit heavy.

Admittedly, this computer shouldn't even be able to run the game. It's a cheap old Compaq with a crap ass video card, motherboard that should be burned, and a processor that a Pentium 4 shits on.. But alas, my other computer is the one I game on (Counterstrike) and the man has taken it over. (If you haven't noticed, I'm not on a lot because he tends to be on it..a lot)

I assumed that the loud noise was my computer working extra fucking hard to handle this not so graphic heavy game. After I posted today and got some advice, I decided to open the little fucker and see what was going on.

What follows are pictures of my dust/cat hair/dog hair incrusted fans and power supply. Oh the pictures do no justice. It was like a cat died in my computer a year ago.

After the cleaning, I started it up and started the game. No loud jet-pack sound. Go figure. There was so much dust I had to SCRAPE with a cotton swap to loosen it up. Being without an air can, I found my blow dryer on the cool setting did just fine.

2. Oct 5, 2010
    Looks like the same stuff i got under my bed, but was a good idea to clean your pc, would also do that, but now i got my laptop so i never really use my old pc lol.
  3. Mar 19, 2011
    Dang well at least you're cleaning out your PC, I know mine could probably use a good cleaning.
  4. Jun 23, 2010
    Wow that's a lot of dust :razz: I remember when I open my friends computer, it was FULL of dust. It's good to clean your PC every month or so, to prevent Overheating and whatnot. And if you haven't change the TIM in a while, I recommend that you should. Shin Etsu is one of the best TIM you can get.
  5. Mar 26, 2011
    It's Called Dust Bunny!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

EDIT: You need to clean out ur computer every 6monts.
  6. Jul 23, 2010
    I cleaned it out 2 months ago! My house is a haven for dust though. The hardwood floors really don't help either.
  7. Jul 23, 2010
  8. Oct 29, 2010
    Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago:

Laptop kept overheating when playing CSS -- temperature in my laptop was hovering at 99°C.

A few blasts of air to the fan and vents later. . . temperature of the laptop when playing CSS was at 60°C.

9. Feb 17, 2011

ur dust is clean .... compared to mine lol

10. Sep 21, 2008
    extra noise= harder working fan. only reason cpu fan would work harder is that it is overheating. I think at this point most comps don't have varying auxiliary fan speeds unless you have software to control that. I just let mine collect dust and clean it when shit starts slowing down in graphics intense games. :neutral:
  11. Nov 29, 2010
    Reminds me of a computer I had years ago... Basic computer maintenance is key, it's reccomended you clean your pc every 2-4 mo- Holy shit dat dust.
  12. Jan 7, 2009
    TIM = thermal interface material
    Basically the pasty shit that goes between the CPU itself and the contact plate of the CPU cooler, to fill in any micro-gaps so that there aren't air pockets (which'll degrade the performance of the cooler).