Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Jake's Guide To Vista Performance

Discussion in Tutorials started by jaketerminate, May 22, 2008

1. May 22, 2008
    Hope you guys like it! :thumbsup:

Jakes Guide to Improving Vista Performance

1. Turn off UAC:
    UAC or User Account Control was put in place to increase security in Microsoft’s new operating system. To turn UAC off go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts and Family Safety>User Accounts>Turn User Account Control on or off

2. Disable Aero:
    You can easily disable Windows Vistas “Aero†feature (Included in the Home Premium and Ultimate Editions) by Start>Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Personalization>Windows Color and Appearance>Open Classic appearance properties for more color options (At the bottom of window)>Click on Windows Vista Basic in the new window and click apply.

3. Using ReadyBoost:
    ReadyBoost is technology included in vista that allows you to boost system performance by using flash memory as virtual “RAMâ€. To do this Insert a flash memory device (Flash Drive, USB Drive, SD Disk, etc) into your system, format it by navigating to My Computer>Right Click Your Device>Format>Start Formatting. Once done My Computer>Right Click your Device>Properties>Click on ReadyBoost Tab>Select “Use this Deviceâ€>Adjust the “Space Reserve for system speed†bar to adjust how much memory you want to allocate for ReadyBoost>Click apply.

4. Tweak Indexing Services
    Windows Vista has an indexing service that runs in the background that indexes all your files to receive better search queries. To change some of the files that it indexes go to Start>In the search box enter Indexing Options>When it pops up where all programs should be open it>click Modify>then Show all Locations>Look through the tree and uncheck everything except Start Menu>Click Ok.

5. Get rid of the sidebar:
    Windows Sidebar may decrease performance drastically, If you have it load each time you log on then simply Right Click the icon on the taskbar that looks something like this: > Properties> Uncheck “Start sidebar when Windows startsâ€

6. Get rid of Defender:
    Windows Defender is a firewall service that was mainly designed to prevent spyware in the Windows OS’s. It only serves as two purposes, to let you know that you don’t have antivirus installed and to work as a firewall. So when you do have antivirus install (McAfee, Norton, etc.) it usually comes with its own firewall so now there is no use for Windows Defender. To disable windows defender from starting when Vista boots click Start>All Programs>Accessories>Run>Type “msconfig†then click ok> Click continue (unless you turned off UAC)> select the startup tab>then uncheck Windows Defender>Click Ok>Restart your computer when asked.
  2. Apr 2, 2008
    .... You copied that from ZDNet didn't you? :smile:
  3. May 22, 2008
    No, why do you say that? I did my research and typed this up to help someone on another forum site.
  4. Mar 15, 2008
    I found this very helpful. Ive done most of it but for people new to vista this is a great Guide. Great work
  5. Apr 2, 2008
    Funny you should say that because the steps are exactly oriented like how the article was written in ZDNet... Then again I may be proven wrong.
  6. May 22, 2008
    Can I see the article? How I wrote this was I took the first things that came to my mind, which I would think would improve performance, and wrote the steps on how to "activate" them.
  7. Mar 12, 2008
    enough -_-

its a guide, who cares if it's copied or not
  8. Feb 21, 2007
    since when was this a firewall? it started out as and I always understood it to be just a spyware checker, like ad aware
  9. May 22, 2008

Yea I got that wrong... my mistake. :wacko: Same concepts though.
  10. Posts
    /* TOP SECRET Microsoft(c) Project: Longhorn(TM) SP1
    Estimated release date: 2008
    #include "win95.h"
    #include "win98.h"
    #include "leopard.h"
    char chew_up_some_ram[10000000];
    void main() {
    while(!CRASHED) {
    if (first_time_install) {
    if (still_not_crashed) {
    set_graphics(aero, very_slow);