Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Josh gets LASIK.

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Josh, May 31, 2014

  1. Mar 16, 2008
    I'll update this periodically with updates. I'll also answer questions. I'll do formatting and cleaning up when I can see better and it doesn't strain my eyes.

    Week before: per exam to check my eyes
    Just a week before I got LASIK I went in for my consultation. I wasn't fully sure what to expect but I had talked to a friend who had got her eyes worked on from the same doctor not that long before and her word alone was enough to get me to go in for a consultation. I had looked up getting it done previously however the price and mixed reviews online had thrown me off. Every place I looked online for a review seemed to be the businesses themselves giving perfect reviews and nothing ever went wrong. On the flip side, if it wasn't perfect, it was a horror story. My friend explained her eyes beforehand and we actually had similar prescriptions and types of eyes, her words were what I needed so hopefully mine can be enough for someone else.
    I entered the office and I filled out a bunch of documents going over allergies, types of contact lenses I wore, and legal information to cover the businesses ass if something went wrong. After I explained that I had astigmatism and wore soft contacts, they made sure that I hadn't been wearing them in the last two weeks. Any contacts will shape your eye so they ask you to go without for two weeks so when you do your consolidation, your eyes will be in their natural shape. For me with my astigmatism, that would be a football. One of the first things I noticed when reading the documents they gave me was that I had a choice of LASIK or PRK which is an older method. I'll first explain the difference between the two.

    LASIK is a procedure where they cut a flap of your cornea and pull it back to then zap your eye with lasers. Doing this is not recommended for people who are physically active with sports as that flap can shift during the healing process. It's also not recommended for older patients as it weakens the eyes as a whole. A lot of cases where people have issues are elderly doing the LASIK process. The recovery time to see clearly from LASIK is about 24 hours.

    PRK is an older method as I said but does essentially the same procedure without making the flap in the eye. By not having the flap, the eye has to heal more because it isn't protected by the layer that would be placed over the sensitive zapped eye. The recovery for PRK to see clearly is about 72 hours and also requires eye drops for a longer period of time after the procedure.

    Back to the consultation, I went in and they mapped the cornea and pupil of my eyes. I unfortunately have wide pupils and blue eyes a long with my astigmatism so the mapping of my eye looks like a mountain going up and down. The old procedure of doing the lasers would only go in a straight line however they offered a custom choice with newer hardware which would go around my mapping. If I hadn't chose the custom choice, I would see "halos" at night when I saw lights. With my blue eyes, wide pupils, and astigmatism, I chose the more costly choice and said I would do custom.
    Something the mention here is they also checked the thickness of my cornea which I was unlucky and had a thin cornea from my astigmatism. For LASIK to be viable, they wanted a thickness of 500 at the thickest point and I was only at 480.
    They said that I would still have the choice to do LASIK if I wished but they would make the flap they cut less thick and it would still weaken my eyes. Since I really didn't want to do PRK at this point I said I would let them know on the procedure day which option I would choose.

    Before I left I was handed more documentation to help with paying for the procedure a long with a choice to run my DNA against a possible disease that they can check for which causes blindness in patients after they've had LASIK. It isn't an immediate side effect but it is said to be carried in 1/1000 people. I actually chose to do this test on the spot as it had a two day turnaround before they knew the results. I really didn't feel like finding out after the fact.
    The last thing they mentioned while I was at the consultation was that I had a choice of tear duct plugs that I could get installed after the procedure. These essentially stop tears from draining into your nasal passage. These are recommended as your eyes after the procedure need to keep liquid so they don't get sticky and slow the recovery. LASIK can permanently effect your tears so they offer two options, one is a three month that dissolves eventually, the other are permanent silicone ones that will hopefully always keep your eyes wet. I chose the three month option as I don't know how my tears will turn out.
    I left their office with fully dilated eyes and a lot of information to think over.

    Three days before:
    I called in to schedule my surgery, they gave me 3:00pm on Thursday. I requested Friday off from work before so I would have more time to recover.

    Day before:
    After scheduling my surgery, they placed a eye drop prescription for my pharmacy. I picked that up as I was told to have it before I arrived for the surgery. They also called me that day to let me know that the test results came back and I wasn't a carrier of the disease.

    Day of:
    I work on most week days from 5am-1pm, that day I got stuck working until 2pm which wasn't ideal as I hadn't had time to eat lunch. I had a small amount to eat before I went to the office but my nerves were getting to me so I didn't get much down. I arrived at the office and the doctor took me into the room that they did the mapping of my eyes and did it once more. He gave me the option of the LASIK with a very thin layer removed or I could do PRK. I chose PRK because it seemed like a safer route. The recovery time is slower however I didn't want to further put my eyes at risk. They gave me a valume type drug to calm my nerves but I don't think it helped much. The doctor made it very clear that my eyes would be 100% numb during the procedure. I guess I forgot to mention you have to be awake during it. After they drugged my eyes with a numbing substance, they did a clamp on my eyelids to keep my eyes open during the procedure. A machine with a blinking orange light was then pulled over me. This was the laser and it was simply blinking at first. After they had every thing in place the doctor glazed my eye with more liquids and I was told he pushed some cells off my pupil. I couldn't really see from his perspective but I'll believe him. Each eye took about seven minutes but it was interesting to take part in. A metal flap would block the laser for a moment while it warmed up and seemed to test fire on the metal. After that a tube came near my eye to pull the smell of burning flesh away. The laser started zapping and it simply sounded like a click. The goal was to keep your eye on the orange dot. Near the end of each process I could tell my vision was getting funky. The color of the laser changed from orange to green. I assume this was the laser hitting the middle.

    After the first eye, he did the same process to the second eye. The procedure wasn't really uncomfortable but I didn't enjoy it. I could still smell my eye for a moment during the procedure. After both eyes were done, they stuck contact lenses in since I chose the PRK method. Since PRK doesn't have the flap, they use contacts to protect the cells. As soon as the contacts were in, they had me look around. I could see semi clearly but the liquids in my eyes didn't help. Unfortunately I didn't have my good drug hydrocodone as they didn't know if I was doing PRK. I immediately left after the procedure to go with Alyssa to the pharmacy to pick it up. This sucked as I had to be present to get the drug. The light sensitivity had already jumped and I was in massive pain. We got the drug, she took me home and we started the process of eye drops. I have two different types of prescription drops and one preservative free one that I can use when ever my eyes feel dry. The prescription ones are used four times a day and have to be set for two minutes before the next set can go in. Wake up, set one, two minutes, set two, two minutes, now the non preservative ones. This process only last for the first five days but it still sucks.
    I had soup the first night, sucked but I managed. My eyes were KILLING me the first night. Everywhere I read online said the first night sucked the most. It did. Took some z-quil before I went to sleep but I never opened my eyes after getting home the first night other than doing eye drops.

    Morning after:
    You're a bat, seriously.. Any light can go to hell. The first day after wasn't horrid. It was already better than the night before but I was still extremely sensitive to light. No tv, no lighting. I slept for at least 20 hours that day. Sleep is the best thing you can do. It really is.
    Something to mention now. the prescription eye drops they give you help a lot, however they seep down through your nasal and then mouth. They taste horrible and make anything you eat after the drops taste horrible. Don't eat anything that is strong. Go for mild tasting food.
    When I opened my eyes late at night, I could somewhat see. Still blurry but I could see.

    Second day:
    I had to go to the doctor in the morning. I actually managed to take a contact out the night before. That's a big no no as the doctor could clearly see the cells I pushed away. That was my fault as I thought I could take the contact out if it was irritating. My bad. He replaced the contact and said I am doing well besides that. I'm told to take 1000mg of vitamin C daily to further help my eyes.
    I also had the tear duct plugs placed in. They are smaller than an average needle head and my eye was numbed to place it in my tear duct.
    After I left the doctors, I went home to sleep some more. Doing my best to sleep but I've been doing it so much that I started typing this. I still can't see that we'll but I can make out the keyboard on an iPad. I could actually stand light today which would be mentioned. I didn't enjoy it but I could walk around the house without sunglasses.

    Third Day:
    Woke up at 4 am, eyes in pain because they were dry. Used some of my non prescription drops to get through the night.
    Woke up again at 8am, same issue. more drops.
    Finally got up at 9am, I could actually see! I took my dog on a walk to the park and my eyes had slight pain from the sun but I could see pretty clearly. Now that my eyes have mostly healed to a point where I can see, the healing process now should focus on layers so I won't need eye drops as often the light won't be as harsh.
    I spent most of the day awake which was weird when referencing the previous days. I had 2-3 naps for a few hours which helped. I went to sleep wishing I had more naps throughout the day though.

    Fourth Day:
    Going to work today. Not planning on enjoying it as I know another day or two of resting would help but I'm going to bite the bullet and go. I can see clearly at 5am as I start doing computer work at remote locations. Going to be using a lot of eye drops today I assume.

    Sixth Day:
    I went to the doctor to have my eyes looked at, they took the contacts that I've been wearing out and checked my eyes. I'm 20/20 and they said that my eyesight should only improve over the next 24 hours of sleep.
    I also don't have to wear a facemask anymore as my eyes aren't as fragile.
    Finally, I get to stop taking one of the eye drops and I only have to take the other one three times a day instead of two times a day. I get to phase that out one time a day each week until I'm down to zero.

    Eighth Day:
    I finally needed to use non prescription eye drops again, I hadn't needed to since I got the contacts out but my eyes got somewhat dry overnight from having the fan on. Eyesight is only getting better and the length of time for my eyes before they strain out has improved significantly since getting the contacts out. My eyes don't get extremely tired after being open for 12 hours anymore. I'm looking forward to day fifteen as I can't swim until then. It's becoming increasingly hot in Sacramento.

    Fourteenth Day:
    I have noticed halo effects when I'm looking at a single source of light with nothing else. Gaming late at night can be rough unless I use eyedrops. There is a chance that this will go away once my eyes recover more as I'm still reliant on eye drops when my eyes get dry..
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 2
      Josh, May 31, 2014 Last edited by Josh, Jun 13, 2014
    • Aug 7, 2012
      CAN YOU SEE ME!???
      • Like Like x 1
      • Apr 9, 2007
        :nerd: -> :smile:

        I don't think I've read an actual account of someone getting this done, but I approve of the style. Hopefully it all works out, it sounds like it's mostly going okay.
      • Feb 1, 2011
        Sounds intense. Hope your eyes heal up quickly and that you have awesome vision once they do!
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I asked him to make this because there are a lot of people in pF who want to try Lasik. The small details in a personal account can make a world of difference to someone. I am glad Josh was able to enlighten us. ^.^
      • Aug 7, 2012
        i'll grape your face if that'll help
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Also, this reminds me when I went to my ophthalmologist to treat my floaters. They gave me cyclopentolate drops that dilated my pupils. I couldn't focus on any object and light became my worst enemy. I squinted my way home and after several hours, it finally started to fade off. But man did that light hurt...
      • Apr 1, 2012
        Total cost? Also, how many fingers am I holding?
      • Feb 21, 2007
        I've seriously thought about doing this...but the 0.1% chance that it doesn't work, or actually makes your vision worse, is what has deterred me away from doing it. I can recall 3-4 close friends accounts of doing it and no complications.
      • Mar 20, 2012
        Was your eyesight still changing the last years or was it constant? When I was 17 I had 1 dioptre (myopia/nearsighted), now it is above the double and I'm not really sure if it will stay like this...

        I just heard about LASIK once..some time ago. And they mentioned that you should be above your 20s and that your poor eyesight should stabilize at some point so it doesnt get worse after the surgery. I wonder if that's still true

        And long-term studys... mh

        I feel like retslag1 a little, there is still the small chance and I dont trust my eyes...blame pc games and rem sleep

        I've seen some reports about prices...well for europe at least.
        It is like a few thousands € (1-4k) depending of how worse your eyes are and what you want. But there are lasik centres in east european countries which do it for like 50% and they are well-frequented in comparison to german ones, so they should have more experience...but who knows, if there are complications you might wanna want to solve them in your own country.
      • Dec 1, 2013
        I wanted to do Lasik, however, my eyes are not bad enough to warrant it. They offered PRK and I told them that I was not interested in a longer heal time. Hope everything works out, Josh.
      • Mar 16, 2008
        I chose the 'custom' laser route so it cost me 50% more than if I went with the classic laser. I paid 3k, classic was 2k.
        I'm 24, I got glasses when I was about 15. I was nearsighted and I had an astigmatism. Everything after 6~ feet away had a static blur. It wasn't an intense blur but It prevented me from seeing detail at a distance.
        The doctor said he's had almost 50k patients between his four offices and he's never had one go wrong. He travels between the offices throughout the week and only does surgery at the offices on specific days. I can't say anything of what he said was true but he had a ton of thank you cards posted. There was a hallway of Christmas cards from his patients from last year that was easily a 9 foot span.
        I found one online that was somewhat similar but it was also from ten years ago. The technology has changed and its become a lot different than back then so I thought this would be appreciated since @sajak asked for it.
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Mar 16, 2008
          Eyesight has improved. I've updated the first post with information. I won't bump again but I wanted to remind people.
          • Like Like x 2
          • Jul 20, 2010

            But bitchiness has increased :razz:
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              But he has sweet angel puppy eyes! :kissed:
            • Feb 13, 2014
              Welcome to the club! Glad to hear it was a success! Here to the future successful recovery process! :beer:
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Bump @Josh . Were you able to go swimming, etc.? Updates, please! :thumbsup:
            • Mar 16, 2008
              I haven't had time yet. I might go swimming this weekend.
              • Like Like x 2