Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Just A "Sneak Peak"

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Orange, Jan 15, 2015

1. Feb 8, 2013
    Hi, my name is Orange. So, some of you may know I've been working on a map for a while now (actually stopped a while back while Dawnter is making some progress). I have always wanted to make a map of my own, so this will be the first and possibly the last map I'll ever make. The reason being is because I like making things to it's perfection, so even with Dawnter trying to push this map out ASAP and me yelling at him a ton of times about it not being at my satisfaction, the map is 80% finished, which a lot of progress have been made already.

A brief summary of the map:
    Basically, my idea was to have a very natural map. One that's back in time; ancient, maybe alpha. At first, I had this imagery in my mind that it would be somewhat very... "loggy" as you can already see. My ideas revolved around surf, ladder strafing, climbing, long jumps and bhop, especially. So, the map has a high similarity to kreedz maps, but in ZM instead of bhop servers. Now, I'm not going to intimidate you players too much, because overall, I try to keep it simple and easy so we can all enjoy the map. I have asked of several mappers to volunteer and contribute their works and creativity onto this map. Tuxxi, a good friend of mine, also a great bhopper and map maker, said that it'd be an honor for him to collaborate with Dawnter and I, so I'm pretty glad. @Soft Serve and @Tony the Tiger!! :grin: MIGHT also collaborate with us and help us further progress in the goal towards completing the map, although, SS has already helped me learn hammer and have given me basic advice here and there and some general idea of how my map should look like and how it'll function at it's best.

I have to give a lot of credit to Dawnter(a.k.a @Dark_Gunner) because he's been so much help. I don't think I'd be able to accomplish this if it wasn't for him. More credit goes to him than me since he's been working on it much more than I have. Dawnter was the one who made the underground part of the map and it looks fantastic, but maybe a little too huge, but that's alright since hiding spots are limited. Also, most of the textures and cool lighting, fog, etc... are made by him. So, @Dark_Gunner, here's my appreciation remark for you.

So, to conclude everything else, the map is not yet complete and we'll be giving our best efforts into bringing you all a map you'll enjoy. Finally, here are some screenshots of the uncompleted, yet gorgeous map:

Sample4 Sampe1 Sample2 Sample3 Sample5 Sample6
    • Like Like x 8
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 6
    • Artistic Artistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
      Orange, Jan 15, 2015 Last edited by Orange, Jan 17, 2015
    • Aug 7, 2012
      Looks pretty, can't wait to check it out!
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I'm still willing to help. I've got nothing else better to do lol.
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Jan 12, 2015
        neat map friend, the part with all the lil twigs u have to jump on looks op.
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Feb 8, 2013
          Just an update on my recent works and changes.

Update: Color coding:

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
          • Mapping King Mapping King x 3
          • Like Like x 2
          • Artistic Artistic x 1
          • Jan 28, 2013
            Excited for to play this soon, good job Orange.
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Mar 10, 2014
              Wow this looks great, really excited to to try it out, the maps we currently have are getting old in my opinion
            • Apr 28, 2013
              Good job orange.... Remember Tony is waiting! :razz: I for the other hand, don't need to change anything major. But please notify me when you give it to tony ja?
              • Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Sep 1, 2014
                Looks naice. Can't wait to play it :laugh:
              • Jan 3, 2013
              • May 31, 2012

I don't want to mess with your idea if you are not open to suggestions, but I would like to make this suggestion and let you debate over it yourself: surf. You have a really good set up to hop up spots, but switching between spots might make things more interesting and might help prevent "illegal spots" in your map; surf from higher spots to lower spots or in between. Some of the surfing spots could really intensify bhopping spots too. It could be something done like Tarzan.

Whether you take it or leave it I am certain the map is going to be really good, and it has very good progress.
              • Feb 8, 2013
                Of course. I'm always open to suggestions. Since this is kz on zm, the map is very diverse in skills. So, you have to know each set of skills to be able to completely understand the map. Surf has already been added onto Dawnter's part of the map. I'll keep it in mind and consider a spiral rail maybe around the cylinders.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Apr 9, 2012
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  If i'm not mistaken, it was for the level of difficulty skill it takes to climb each location. So, i assume red would be hardest and green would be easiest.
                  • Winner Winner x 1
                  • Apr 9, 2012
                    Oh I see, I thought that he ment like changing the colors based on a code or script or something. That would have been cool for static props. Unfortunatly, but anyways it looks really cool! So this is an MG map or something?
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Feb 27, 2012
                    • May 31, 2012
                      That's going to be sick if you make it happen. I can't wait for the release :smile:
                    • Feb 8, 2013
                      There are too many ideas in my head, but I lack the knowledge of how to use hammer like a master. I'm relying on people, but sometimes they're busy also, so what's in my way is the fact I'm not able to put my imagination into the program.
                      Post Merged, Jan 26, 2015
                      When the map releases, it won't be surrounded by rocks. It'll be in a forest.
                    • Sep 9, 2012
                      I know source is dated and what not but I still love the look of this engine for some reason! Also the map looks good can't wait to play it!
                    • May 5, 2011
                      This looks like a bhop map lol...but besides that it looks good can't wait to see it in game.