Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Just Cause 2 Multiplayer - Public Beta Testing

Discussion in Gaming started by Vadleon, Jul 28, 2012

1. Jan 12, 2011
    [IMG][IMG][IMG] Just Cause 2 Multiplayer is officially open to the public!!! [IMG][IMG][IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[IMG]

Perhaps some of you have already heard about this mod, but I wish to make a thread announcing it to everyone. For those who don't know the game, allow me to give a small introduction.

Just Cause 2 is game about chaos. Not to get into the plot much, but the primary (and really only) means to progress through the game is by exploring and destroying facilities of the Panauan dictatorship. What this entails is going around to military bases and villages and destroying things like silos, water towers, radar dishes, and the like. It may sound boring after a while but the game gives you plenty of toys to make use of, including but not limited to: your grappling hook, infinite parachutes, black market drops, cars, jets, helicopters, gunboats, and every centimeter of the 1024 sqKm landscape you can reach. It lends itself to doing crazy stunts, so get creative!

On top of the gameplay, JC2 is a beautiful game. Honestly I think it has one of the best game engines I've seen because it renders the whole map seamlessly. You can fly from one end of the map to the other without loading screens or texture popping (minimal if going super fast). The day/night cycle is amazing to watch, the explosions are pretty, and the physics allow for some interesting experiences. Little details like washing your car in a river or following a scorpion on the beach are also great.

Anyway, to stop myself from gushing, let's get on to the point of this thread. Over the last couple years, a dev team has been working to make this single-player-only game into a massive multiplayer game. To quote the main website (link here):

Before you guys explode with questions like "Where do I download this?", please direct your attention to the FAQs here. However, just to answer a couple big questions 1) this hasn't been officially released yet and exists solely through dev-hosted servers, 2) there is no known release date yet, but they're doing public betas to coax out bugs, and 3) yes, it is every bit as chaotic as you might expect on a server with hundreds of players (not kidding). As far as I know, they will post the necessary content to connect to their servers when they host public events, which as it so happens, one will be this weekend. I'll try to provide updates to this thread each week and post event times at the top, so keep an eye out.

If you don't already own the game and wish to buy it, find it here on Steam for $15. (Worth it!) Additionally, sometime in the future I'll figure out a fun way to distribute my gift copies of JC2. DO NOT ASK FOR THEM YET.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some handy links in one place (so you don't have to read and hunt for them):

This is where you will find information about the mod and events.

Please read this. More than likely your important questions will be answered here.

Stay up-to-date on developments and event times here.

Purchase the game here!

Just 'cause! Actually, I'm just putting this here as a resource since there's a lot in the game. Read at your leisure.

To give a taste of what to expect, here are some videos for your gaming pleasure:

Absolutely superb videos:
    BenBuja Multiplayer Impressions
    via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYoI13P3Gfs

Official teaser videos:
    We're Back!
    via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtOwWoOiggc
    Perspectives

Fan videos: (There are many of these, just search for more!)
    (These two guys are recording together online. Be warned, they get a bit loud.)
    via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loYMCXU7xO8
    via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFn7RzHf4M8
    • Like Like x 1
      Vadleon, Jul 28, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Dec 16, 2013
    • Nov 11, 2011
    • Jun 2, 2012
      The only reason why i bought Just Cause 2 during the Steam Sale.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Alright, so in about 30 minutes the timer on the JC2-MP site will hit zero and a client download should appear. I'd expect some moderate (or severe) traffic, so bear with it since I'm not exactly sure how this will go. I can't wait! :nailbiting:

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that there are tweaks to the MP server compared to normal SP. First off, NPCs are disabled (so no pedestrians, military grunts, or passing vehicles). Second, no Black Market or Extractions, since those typically have cutscenes and loading screens associated with them. Third, probably more stuff I can't think of.

More importantly though, compared to previous public tests, is that hijacking vehicles from other players should be disabled. It was a royal mess last time with people clusterfucking around airports and parking lots, so hopefully this will help. Key word here is should, and I'm not sure what other changes have been made. It's all best guess and that's why these are public beta tests.
      Vadleon, Jul 29, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Jul 29, 2012
    • Apr 29, 2011

However, I am quite shocked your post right above mine doesn't take up its own page.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Alright, since the site crashed under so much traffic, they've redirected to a direct download of the client to be more efficient. It's small and should be easy to run, so I don't think I'll need to mirror it anywhere like on Mediafire. Good luck everyone!
    • Jan 11, 2012
      Hell yeah! That's epic, thanks Vad! :grin:
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Alright, so the event is going quite well! The server is still working out hijacking bugs, but it's quite fun and running quite smoothly with about 860 players on right now. IIRC one of the devs said the peak was 1306 earlier, with quite a lot more room to spare. This time the cap is set at 5K! Join up online and join us on Mumble to coordinate our assault on the world with BUBBLE GUNS! :meeting:

Also for those who see this later, no worries - this event lasts 24 hours. So you have until 4am EST 7-30-12 (1am PST) to get in on the action!
      Vadleon, Jul 29, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Jul 29, 2012
    • May 14, 2011
      Its a shame you lot left. You missed me attaching a Stonewall to the back of a military cargo jet, and using the tank like a flail.Helicopters were no longer an issue. You also missed my heruclean task of driving a Hedge up the side of a mountain, and into that one airbase with the cargo planes.

Good times....can't wait for full release.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      After a doing some things and a small nap, I'm ready for more! I'll be online shortly if anyone wishes to join me!
      @Kyron The Wise @Ghost @Satsukii @everyone :grin:
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Just a quick update - no JC2 MP this weekend guys. Sorry, but the devs are working on it. On the plus side, we should have a new feature(s) to look forward to. What will it (they) be? Who knows, but stay tuned!

Also, I'll try to upload some pictures soon of last weekend's shenanigans. Unfortunately the multiplayer doesn't tie into the Steam overlay, nor do I have my PrtSc button bound to auto-save screenshots, so you guys will just have to live with me using a camera on my computer screen.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • May 14, 2011
      • Jan 12, 2011
        Something I also hope to get running at some point, but I meant picture camera. Sorry for the confusion, and inevitable awkward colors/distortion. :frown:
      • May 14, 2011
        No, i knew you ment a photograph but why don't you just install fraps, takes 5 secs and you can effectively print screen and record on any moving screen that has a frame rate. :smile:
      • Jan 12, 2011
        How much of a resource hog is it? Also, as much as I wish I could, I can't record video right now since I don't have enough harddrive space.
      • May 14, 2011
        None unless your recording, then it starts to eat your resources significantly. Recording is a nightmare. But pictures just give a small lag blip if you know what I mean.
      • Oct 29, 2010
        I'm curious as to what the plan is to keep people playing this? It's a fun little sandbox, sure, but with no NPCs it seems like it might be kinda bland.

Is the goal PvP? If so, how is it so far?
      • Jan 11, 2012
        Just version 0.0.3 of the Beta yet, there will be NPCs and other stuff later. At the moment it's just a hilarious mega clusterfuck ^^
      • Jan 12, 2011
        Twitter Update -- 48 hour weekend test starting Saturday [6PM AEST] [4AM EDT] [1AM PDT] [10AM CET] [8AM GMT]

Now some other things. As promised, here are the camera pictures of my monitor during the last beta test. Like I said before, I didn't have any other way to screenshot it so this had to do. Just to help out file sizes and resolutions, I've already rescaled/cropped them a bit from the original camera sizes.
        I gotta say that out of all the things done that day, my favorite was picking up and flying Kyron and Ghost on the wings of my jet. That was a combination of skill/luck that I'm not sure I'll pull off so well again.

The second thing I have to show was not made by me, but is a very amusing video posted on the JC2-MP twitter:

Edit: Why do I keep breaking spoilers?? Fixed

Edit 2: Sorry to tag you guys again, but I forgot some important news that I was talking to Kyron about. On-foot weapons should now be sync'd with the server, so you can use your submachine gun, grenades, and other weapons on people in vehicles. This means that people can FINALLY deal with griefers hanging around airports in helicopters. While I don't know yet if weapon drops will be available to refill/switch weapons, I'm hoping they are provided at bases and choice spawn locations around the map for the thousands of eager players. :grin:

Also, here's the teaser announcing it on their Twitter:

@Ghost @Satsukii
        • Like Like x 2
          Vadleon, Aug 8, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Aug 9, 2012