Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Just started mapping...

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Zio, Apr 24, 2011

1. Apr 20, 2011
    I just decided to start mapping, I'm going along well but I would like to know if there are any good resources I should look at..
  2. Feb 1, 2010
  3. Mar 25, 2011
    3kliksphillip has some good short tutorials, you can of course ask a community mapper for help, and something i find VERY useful sometimes is the Valve Wiki.
  4. Oct 10, 2010

the best mapping tutorial resources i know, are in german.

i even dont know any good english tuts
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    I've been looking at the valve tuts.

I've already drawn up some plans for a knife fight map(a minigame map - like knife-multi but with the multi-game-style of picking the map).
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    I died looking at those videos, a lot more complicated then I thought(well, I knew it would be hard, but with all the lighting and stuff?).

I think I may just make a couple knifing maps and possibly a disco-type map just for fun, play it with my bro over lan.
  7. Oct 10, 2010
    dont trust Valve tuts,
    they dont know what they do...
  8. Mar 25, 2011
    Yeah don't use the tutorials, just read up on the specific entity you want to use.
  9. Oct 10, 2010
    for a basic shit tip from me,
    be on the 8 unit grid...

always be on the grid!!
    use at the default texture ToolsNoDraw

make func_detail at your best friend

(also func_areaportal one of your best friends)
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I'll just learn eventually, I'm not giving it my all or anything, but I'm a quick learner anyway.
  11. Jan 12, 2011
    New mapper? Awesome and Welcome! :thumbsup:
  12. Apr 20, 2011
    I made a little knifefight level(water, secret passage, a little house with glass windows, teleporters), just to test out those little things. Took like, 3 hours. >_<

Then hammer crashed....
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    Any ideas on what to make?
  14. Jul 14, 2010
    What are you planning/want to make?
  15. Oct 10, 2010

i even cant find any english tutorials...
    interlopers probably outdated or down

so what kind of maps you plan to make?

zombie or other?
    the fps part isnt such important for non zombie maps

just give it a try

Pretty useful:

NoDraw: http://optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=nodraw
    func_detail: http://optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=func_detail
    areaportals: http://optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=areaportals
  16. Mar 25, 2011
    Depends on what you want to make.

ZE: Since you're new, do something basic. Learn your triggers and pointcommands. Maybe try to base it off something, a game or movie. (maybe the book of eli, it's mostly open area and 2 small shanty towns.)

ZM: Something medium sized, enough for 64 players, try to lay off on long jumps and stuff. An idea for it? Hmm, maybe something really original like a mall.

MG:I personally don't like death-match mini-game maps, i go to mini-games for unique game-play, which isn't easy to make. Think about it for awhile, and record your ideas, look up how to do certain things as you go, but stay away from knife fighting.

GG: Gungame is pretty basic, just a map with lots of walls and its basically a deathmatch map, not too big.