Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Kernel upgrade

Discussion in News started by Kyle, Mar 15, 2011

1. Apr 9, 2007
    Well, might as well make a news post about it. We upgraded our Kernel to 2.6.38 from 2.6.36 (Kind of old, yeah I know, whatever). We also upgraded a bunch of packages (Including our Base Linux one).

If there are any new issues, please PM me. Otherwise... uhm, yeah. Performance should be better as we've removed BKL and are running with Transparent Hugepage support.

There was also a 200line scheduler patch to improve desktop responsiveness.
  2. Aug 18, 2006
    Don't forget the 200 line scheduler patch is now integrated into the kernel.
  3. Apr 9, 2007
    Added, I didn't think it was significant as it was for increasing system responsiveness under load.
  4. Aug 18, 2006
    Exactly. So when there are multiple srcds instances whoring up the CPU, they won't effect each other as much.
  5. Feb 20, 2011

I got a package you can upgrade right here!

People think I luck into these situations, but its really a lot of work.

6. Feb 17, 2011

but i think this is doing what it supposed to do well "the upgrade"
    today no lost connection issues on ze or zm
    good job NERS!! hahah jk :razz:
  7. Apr 9, 2007
  8. Nov 25, 2010
    does this have anything to do with why I cannot connect to the vent?
  9. Oct 22, 2010
  10. Oct 10, 2010
    (this includes me)
  11. Jan 12, 2011
    The kernel in a Linux OS is essentially the core of the system. It is a protected set of critical files set aside from the user profiles. Windows has been working on the whole "user profile" thing for years, but Linux has separated the two since a long time (the beginning?). That way, if something like a virus corrupts the profile (which due to the nature of Linux is extremely unlikely), it can be disposed of without harming the necessary files that run the whole thing. I'm not terribly familiar with Linux, but my brother runs it and I know something about it through him. Feel free to elaborate/ correct me, Kyle. :grin:
  12. Apr 9, 2007
    Todd is from Scrubs, which was a 9 Season Television Series that was near canceled at the end of every season.
  13. Oct 22, 2010
  14. Aug 18, 2006

And here I am expecting feedback from the kernel update. Guess my expectations were too high.
  15. Apr 9, 2007

From the sheer amount of views and lack of replies, we're not going to get anything. Especially after this was replaced by the Ventrilo update. Hopefully things are better off, though. HLX:CE broke or something :unsure:
  16. Jan 12, 2011
    Sorry, but I haven't played that much on the servers today (yesterday, technically now). Also, I kinda think this would be more a long-term observation of stability than something immediate for the servers, unless there was something wrong that I didn't notice before. I trust that yall's work on the kernel did some good for the servers, though I can't be really specific due to my lack of really technical knowledge with servers. I'll be happy enough if the servers can keep a consistent latency below 100 on all the maps and not have weird lag spikes. :thumbsup:
  17. Dec 7, 2010

So far the upgrade is doing well. I have not seen any significant problems and overall it seems to run smoother.

Good job guys!! :thumbsup:
  18. Dec 7, 2010
    Kernel is a developers term when they speak of the nucleus of an operating system. So basically it is the intelligence that makes the operating system go.

If you want to be educated about OS Kernel's check out Wikipedia, I am sure they have a good definition.
  19. Jan 12, 2011
    I already answered this if you read up. :razz:
    Sorry for more derails...
  20. Aug 18, 2006
    Well, I am mostly concerned about unseen issues popping up. The changes to the kernel code were very extensive in the filesystem, CPU scheduling, networking, and driver layers. On top of that the kernel config is very different. And we recompiled the dependencies. It's practically an entirely new OS install.

The main goal of this was to improve performance. I think I've observed slightly higher frame rates and ticks in the ZE server, but it could be placebo. That's why I need feedback.