Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Killing Floor Server?

Discussion in Future Servers started by Calivier_Killer, Apr 9, 2012

Should There Be A killing Floor Server?

I Hate That Game 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Agree 4 vote(s) 50.0%
Disagree 4 vote(s) 50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 3, 2012
    Will There Be A Possibility That There Will Be A Custom Perk Killing Floor Server. in the future?
  2. Feb 18, 2011
    Meh, I like Killing Floor and we occasionally play in a group (See: Killing Floor General) but to be honest, Killing Floor is not really worth it. Only 6 slots can be used and is a waste of resources if we dedicate a whole portion of the box to filling and maintaining a six slot server that has the possibility of going empty easily (a nice group of people on KF just join a server with people in it, myself included. However parties may join occupying all the slots.) If we go with one of the custom servers that have 32 (Not sure what the cap is anymore.) slots then we have restrictions to what maps we can play. The only one I remember was the castle map where it was dug in and easy to defend, but hard to get money because people sit and camp in the easiest visible spot and gets all the cash for himself. @Vadleon Any ideas on this since you are one of the Killing Floor lovers?
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    If the intent was to just kill things and try to survive, not try to level up perks, custom slot servers are the way to go. Though I like to host my own server for KF, the settings aren't very complicated or in-depth, nor have I really done anything out-of-the-way besides the vanilla settings. I know relatively little in how difficult it would be to host a server, though I do know can rapidly become a resource hog depending on the difficulty and number of players present in the game. Since the numbers of enemies that exist in a round directly scales to the number of players present, it can reach ridiculous volumes should the player count exceed 6. Granted, only a limited number of the enemy total will actually spawn at one time (~30), but it can still result in pretty long matches and many deaths by even highly leveled and seasoned players such as myself.

The difficulty and maplist will have to be carefully chosen or it may evolve into a ragefest. In addition, custom slot servers need to provide preset levels and abilities that players can use, since perks are automatically disabled by non-whitelisted server settings (KF is very specific about these things...). How to program any of those custom settings is far beyond me, so research will be required by someone who is both patient and code-savvy. No promises on how buggy or how many resources a custom game will consume outside the intended usage, but then again we've taken CSS to another whole level.....

All in all, it is a very fun game, and even custom servers are a blast, but I'd leave the question of a KF server to the owners. My unofficial response to it is "unlikely" because KF is a game that thrives on its default settings with few players and, like I mentioned, it's not difficult for random players to host their own local games. The way it was made keeps it balanced and fun for everyone, as limited a player count as that is. If you wish, I can bump the KF General thread sometime this week to see who is interested in playing this weekend. It's not dead (trust me), but myself and others have just been occupied by various other things recently. A number of people play the game too and we irregularly meet up, so sometimes I just bump the thread to coordinate it. Lemme know your thoughts, and if it's game night related, please post in the Killing Floor General thread, as linked. Otherwise, I'd encourage all other KF players to share their opinions about an official server in here.

Edit: To give a more direct/honest answer to your question, I'm not sure, since I'll need to investigate the relative demand, success, and challenges of maintaining a custom server for Killing Floor. There are other game types within KF to investigate as well, but I will need more time later to research it. Again, it's a better question for the owners and techies. @Ray @Brian @Kyle @Josh

Edit 2: Didn't there used to be a 'Future Servers' subforum to suggest these ideas in? What happened to it? @Brian
  4. May 27, 2008
    I really don't think so. Except for a handful of people in this community, there really hasn't been a whole lot of people here who would stick to it. In my opinion, I don't believe it would bring the traffic we want it to. It just doesn't seem like one of those games that have high demand.
  5. Feb 14, 2012
    Yeah we wouldn't want to have a server playing a game with only about 100 players world wide during prime time or anything. Traffic is important. :giggle:

[IMG]
  6. May 27, 2008
    I know it sounds hypocritical. But to be fair, when we initially started the ND Server, there wasn't 100 people on at any given time. The game was in high demand, and servers were everywhere. It still has potential, but I don't think that the devs are doing anything to work out the kinks that still exist in the game. If it doesn't get fixed we may just trash the ND server and chalk it up as another loss.
  7. Jan 12, 2011
    I wouldn't call it so soon. True, there aren't many people relative to the whole who actually own or play the game. However, there is potential for the game to increase in popularity if it is accepted as a proper server and advertised more. I'm not saying that'll happen, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

In the end, I'd have to agree with you here. Killing Floor as a whole has a much smaller following than CSS, and expecting it to bring in an equivalent amount of traffic would be optimistic at best. It's one of my favorite games to play with friends, but usually it's just easier to round up a few buddies to play with than to throw up a server and wait for people to join from the Internet. (It should be noted this is only in terms of comparative traffic, not potential server filling.) :neutral:
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    Well, I for one love the game, especially when retslag can't play Hell On Earth with level6 perks. :razz:

I think it would be a waste with only 6 slots at any given time. The game has demand, Peter, it just doesn't have a central base to populate on. PF KF can go either ways and it all depends on weighing the benefits against the cons. How about someone with a 20mb upline start a server and record how it gets populated to give us some benchies?
  9. Jun 4, 2006
    It's hidden as we're not looking for input on future servers at this time. We've got the next few months mapped out. Also just to note, zero plans on hosting anything KF related.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.