Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Laptop review: Asus g750

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Clam Chowder, Aug 23, 2014

1. Nov 29, 2010
    Also @Nezumi, sorry I picked a new laptop, this one was going for the same price with slightly higher stats.

Alright since University is around the corner and bringing up my desktop PC was a huge pain in the ass, I had to resort to buying a gaming laptop and I settled with this monster:
    Costed me $1450 on amazon (Thank you prime)

Let's get this out of the way, this thing is a fucking beast. It weighs ~10-11 lbs with the battery and is a 17" laptop, this thing is a behemoth and portability WILL be hampered by it, this isn't something you'd want to bring to class on those little shitty writing surfaces.

Specs: 2.4ghz Quad core i7 processor, 1.75tb memory, 12 gb ram and a gtx 860M video driver. 4 USB 3.0 slots and a firewire slot.

First thing I noticed out of the box was how tiny the battery pack was, like shit look at this thing,
    That's what, 6 inches? it's tiny, but surprisingly enough one can easily get 3-4 hours on a single charge which is pretty impressive in of itself.

Secondly this thing looks sexy as hell, the top part has a matte texture that is easy on the fingers (though is a finger grease magnet) and the overall build quality is great with no play in the parts and everything just feels solid to the touch. Not to mention it doesn't feel like cheap plastic.

As for performance specs, my home PC scores 11k points on the FFXIV character creator benchmark, this PC scores 7k, not as powerful, but it's a sacrifice that needed to be made for portability.

the screen is great, featuring 1080p with good colour contrast to boot, my only complaint about this is the vertical viewing angle is a little dodgy but it's a minor complaint at best.

Any questions? I'll be glad to answer.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
      Clam Chowder, Aug 23, 2014 Last edited by Clam Chowder, Aug 23, 2014
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I've always wondered, how is heat management/ overheating on those laptops? They're really popular here too.
    • Nov 29, 2010
      Surprisingly fantastic, I ran a few heavy load games and I hardly felt a difference, the laptop's fans spun a little faster and the exhaust was slightly warmer but it was comfortable. The hottest part of the laptop was the battery when I tried to game with the battery only.
    • Feb 21, 2007
      I've had the G75V for almost 3 yrs now. Never had an issue with heat at all. I set it on flat surfaces (have a laptop tray for when i want it on my lap) so that it can vent well, and even after hours of games or w/e, heat is never an issue.

Only issue I had with mine was the hard drive became fault at just over a year out from buying it. After several months of playing around with it, I ended up just buying the exact same hard drive (there are 2 hard drive bays), and using the new drive as the main hard drive, and the (semi) faulty one as simply a backup storage one.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Interesting. With a design like that I'd hope it was good. I really like it too.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    • Mar 14, 2013
      for that price nice specs love the design too looks super fucking durable-- my only meh is the screen its matte rather than a glossy screen but u can pretty much change the screen out for 50 bucks ^^
    • Dec 31, 2013
      looks sweet man, what kind of fps do you get with all your games and on what settings?
    • Dec 6, 2011
      I'm surprised your battery gets even that long. Most 'gaming' laptops are a desktop PC with a 45min battery backup.

I'm having trouble parting with my desktop, I decided I'm going to take it across the country instead of selling it and buying a laptop for half the specs, at the same cost.
    • Feb 21, 2007
      Mine gets about 2 hrs with internet browsing. Maybe 1hr 1.5 hrs with gaming. Personally, I like it just as much with my desktop except it allows me to be more mobile. Not sure I'll get a desktop again.
    • Nov 29, 2010
      My school requires me to move every year and I don't like trusting anyone else other than myself to handle my desktop, when I got home after my school year ended I noticed that a couple of fan brackets had broken, most likely due to rough treatment at the airport. (not to mention the extra $50 needed for a suitcase dedicated for my PC)

I'm going to miss my desktop's power, but it's not worth ferrying back and forth.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Well there's your problem right there, flying your PC at the airport. Bunch of fucking burnout irresponsible youths tossing your luggage around for $9 an hour.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Nov 29, 2010
        Irresponsible youths tossing my shit or some delivery guy tossing my shit, makes no difference to me. Either way it's not worth the effort to constantly pack and unpack my rig.
        • Agree Agree x 1