Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Laptop severely overheating, suggestions?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by zenzr, Aug 10, 2012

1. May 31, 2012
    Giving a laptop room to breath is always very important. Buy a can of compressed air, and blow out all the vents, fans etc. If you're feeling fancy, or this doesn't help, take part of the chassis off and really get in there with the can of air or even a moist (NOT WET) paper towel to really get that dust and grime out
  2. Oct 27, 2010
    Are the fans clogged? Cleaning out the cat hair and potato chips usually makes a world of difference. You can also try out something like Speedfan to adjust your fan speed but I doubt it'd do much good considering they're already going 100% when it gets hot.

Alternatively...

It's a laptop, it's going to get really hot and this will, most likely, be what kills it in the end. That's the cost of having something that's semi-portable (Burns twice as brightly, so on and so forth).
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    Yea, if it's really overheating that bad, you have a major dust problem. Laptops get hot, but they shouldn't overheat like that, especially if you have a laptop cooler. Like what Sater said, buy a can of compressed air. blow out all of the dust, and what I really suggest is taking the chassis apart and cleaning that out as well, since that'll be the only way to really get the dust out and make your laptop cooler.
  4. Jun 20, 2012
    SgtSater has a good point. Alot of the overheating ive experienced in years past has been due to grime and dust on the fan. The fan you posted might help a little, but Ive used a similar device in the past to test its worth and i still had an overheating laptop. Also each laptop can have its own model specific problems. For instance, I had a laptop with a 8600 nvidia card in it. For that laptop, it was like putting a ferrari's engine in a civic.... So the laptop was not prepared physically to prevent overheating and eventually it ruined the video card, causing the screen to go insane. I would type your laptop model into google and add "overheating" at the end to see if any very specific results pop up.... Although if you overclocked your shit, then LOL G/L <3
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    I've taken compressed air to it a few times. It's almost always given a good half inch to breath when I game. I've just resorted to dropping graphics down sadly :/. I do have speed fan and i've recorded it at anywhere from 45ish-60's just surfing the web which is acceptable. But when I game or have any graphics set anywhere decent they soar through the roof to 80+ which I understand is not good at all.
    Post Merged, Aug 10, 2012
    Sadly I've found out that the dv7 series are famous for heating issues lol. I think it's more along the lines of what you said Kolme. was maybe hoping for some external fan/cooling advice.
  6. Oct 27, 2010
    Step 2: Buy 1000 gallons of mineral oil.
    Step 3: Take scuba diving lessons.
    Step 4: Replace your hard-drive with an SSD.
    Step 5: Game with computer in fish tank filled with mineral oil.
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • May 31, 2012
      45-60 (if your talking about celcius) is hardly acceptable while gaming 0.0 my CPU temps are 20 or below right now, and I have DOTA 2 running in the background. I'd suggest getting a bit creative, I'm sure solutions do exist out there for your particular model, may need to do some forum crawling.

P.S. you can buy a desktop for $700 that can run BF3 on ultra. just sayin.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      yes celcius. well at least it's not hot. I was hoping for some creative ideas. I have looked up some pc fans rigged together and wired up to be powered from an oulet, only problem is I'm not very good with that kind of thing. and I know, I'm trying to get creative for my laptop as I have money in it first. It's for my dorm room so less money spent is better.
    • Jun 20, 2012
      LOL thats the laptop model I had Zenzr!!! If it does have the nvidia series in it, then its basically a blacklisted product. They even had to extend their laptop warranty a full year because of the problem. What happens is that the card gets so incredibly hot that the connections melt just enough to make the card glitch out. Eventually your screen becomes of a flurry of hell and you have to purposely overheat your computer in order to get the connections to melt back. Still this is just a quick fix and itll get worse and worse (also its HELL on your other components so dont do it). You can send it to HP to have em fix it... kinda... but its EXPENSIVE. There is another way though. A guy up north runs a business off of this problem and uses his stuff to fix the connections and then spaces the card correctly to prevent further overheating... I dont have his shit saved, but he posts on ebay. just search your laptop and use duh tabs!

(Although I just bought a new laptop when all this happened.. wasnt worth the trouble on a 3 or 4 year laptop)
    • Mar 4, 2012
      2) Open window while gaming
      3) Profit.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Mines about a year and 5 months old. So it's right in the middle of the replace or fix spectrum. :/
    • Jun 20, 2012
      lol, ah well just try ur best to keep it clean and cool. If you do eventually get the problem then i guess give the guy a holler. make sure he covers your specific model... <3
      • Winner Winner x 1