Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Laptop shopping

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by meeko, Feb 7, 2015

1. Oct 29, 2010
    With fat paychecks and tax refunds incoming, I can finally justify looking around for a replacement to my nearly five-year old laptop (that is very rarely used).

My needs: Photo, much more storyteller than artist (read: photojournalist). Everyday I'm shooting something. I import, edit, move large numbers of photos at a time, and under deadline, hiccups and bottlenecks anywhere are not welcome at all. I currently use an older desktop at another place, but only because dual monitor + 3 TB storage (since November, I've used 2.5 TB now, which should give you an idea how often I shoot).

Wants: minimum 12 gb ram, 1 TB+ SSD, ultra hi-res display, portable (<15.6" screen, i carry around with me everywhere), good battery life, competent processor.

Dedicated graphics for gaming would be nice, but I literally have had no time or energy (or the appetite) to game to require such.

Macbook sounds like a perfect fit to me, and I'd like one, but I can't justify the price tag, esp when i prioritize spending money on glass or travel rather than computer hardware.

Dont care if i buy used or not. Might do video when I upgrade bodies.

Ideally, budget <$1500 or so, but under $1000 = yes yes yes
    • Like Like x 1
    • Zing! Zing! x 1
    • Aug 7, 2012
      I would also say Macbook 15.6 pro but your budget is not enough camels to afford it.

Thinking...
    • Oct 29, 2010
      I can go over my budget, but all i really do one the computer nowadays is edit and move photos, music, internet.

A couple of these classifieds kinda catch my eye though, and i plan to negogiate the price :

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1345220

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1344429

im spending munz on bodies first though, my D3's are aging rapidly.
      Post Merged, Feb 7, 2015
      You have one?
    • Aug 7, 2012
      Yeah, I've got the latest one. It's a beast and the display is just amazing for photos.
    • Apr 28, 2013
      1. DO NOT GO FOR ANY FORM OF MACBOOK. Get windows instead.
      2. Go for an intel processor (i5 or i7). They have the raw processing power you need.
      3. Try to find a dedicated laptop with a video card (nvidia or amd). Avoid integrated graphics.
      4. Try to avoid alienware products. I think they aren't reliable and building your own desktop pc imo is better.
      Well that's all I can think of for now but if you want a good laptop of that needs, it will cost you a lot. Battery life for a laptop of this power will probably not be that good.

This suggestion would probably be a good example.
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232122
      • Funny Funny x 1
        Hydreigon, Feb 7, 2015 Last edited by Hydreigon, Feb 7, 2015
      • Dec 30, 2006
        Yes. For photography and other media productions, I would recommend a mbp for starters. After that, you can advance into windows and adobe products or other stuff. But I don't know where your expertise stands....or how comfortable you are with other software.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jul 8, 2012
          As a Media student I hate when people go "OMG Appl3 IS BAE".

Sure it's usually okay, and good for some people, but for the price you can get a much better windows laptop lol. I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head, but I would suggest looking for other ones at least to look at your options. I'll look around and see what I can find.

When it comes down to the choice, if you really want a Macbook, then sure get one. But don't just blindly go get one lol I guess is what I'm trying to say.
        • Oct 29, 2010
          Dunno where my "expertise" stands either. . . I get paid to take photos for a daily paper.. It's a bit of a lucrative source of income (for me, at least) for me. So, there's that.

Software usage-wise, the only programs I really use for photo editing is Lightroom (5) and PS CS6. Nothing really more. I do alot more work on the field than on the computer.

Again, macbook seems like a perfect fit for me, but I much rather save on computer and splurge on glass/bodies/lighting crap.

I'd probably be content buying an older used laptop off ebay then upgrading it with 16gb ram + 1 tb ssd, speed, storage space and display are my main concerns in the scheme of things.
        • Jul 8, 2012
          I would actually agree, for you a Mac seems to be a good fit. I would maybe look at not brand new ones, and then upgrade them yourself (because it's not hard to do it's a Mac lol). That way you can save and still spend more on extras.
        • Oct 29, 2010
          If I decide to go Macbook route, I'm buying used. One big reservation aside from price tag: will I have to buy all those programs for Mac OS again? Etc.

Not too concerned about computers (more preoccupied with bodies/glass wider than 24mm, 24-70 ain't wide enough for me)
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jul 8, 2012
            I would look at 2013ish Mac's then. My 2011 I have is great still, besides no dedicated GPU this thing flies still with a 128gb SSD and 8GB ram (Less than a $150ish upgrade) and it's still great.

Anything 2012+ should have the high res screen which I think you probably already knew, which would be good for you lol. One of the full time staff at work got a brand new late 2014 15" with 16gb ram and 1tb ssd. Man that thing flies.
          • Feb 21, 2007
          • Aug 7, 2012
            i've had a ton of hardware fail in the first year from ASUS and ACER but never from apple.
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Feb 21, 2007
              ah, ya my ASUS laptop hdd had some faulty sectors that i couldn't repair. started around 14 months or so after i got the laptop. Just replaced the hdd with the exact same one from newegg and had no prob since.
            • Aug 7, 2012
              The worst was an ACER desktop I picked up new from retail. It had bad RAM and they made me pay for shipping just to send it in so they could run diagnostics and replace the module. :/
            • Jul 8, 2012
              Apple does scumbag stuff like that too, sometimes lol.

They downgraded my friends ram from 8 to 4 and 750gb hdd to 500 when he turned it in for warranty because it wasn't what came with it.

Granted it was a accident (I think) but he wasn't happy at all.
            • Aug 7, 2012
              That's your friend's fault for not taking out his custom parts or noting it on check-in...
            • Jul 8, 2012
              They shouldn't touch that though for just a check. That's some bull shit.

They did. That's the bull part. They noted it had 8gb and a bigger HDD. But the check out guy was like hur dur.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
            • Aug 7, 2012
              Then your friend should have asked for a manager. They obviously knew it didn't match the specs and there was a discrepancy.