Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Laptop suggestions

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Angel/Latino King, Feb 13, 2013

1. Jul 14, 2008
    Hey guys, so I'm looking to purchase a new laptop and I thought I could get some suggestions from the community since I have hit a dead end in the local stores (Best buy). I'm looking for something between 11" - 14" as portability is very important, with that being said, I'm planning to use it for light gaming so it must be able to run recent games at least between low-mid settings (Example: Dead space 3, CSS:GO, Minecraft, that sort of stuff). Some other features I'd like are HDMI, maybe a USB 3.0 port and a USB 2.0 port and SSD drive. I don't really care if it has a CD/DVD drive as that's something rarely used nowadays. Another part that I don't really care about I the size of the hard drive as this wouldn't be my main computer, I think 250GB is fine, or if SSD 128GB. It seems like I'm asking for a lot, specially since I'm looking for small size. Since I'm not too informed about laptops I'm hoping you guys can tell me whether it's possible to find a laptop like that, or at least something similar, even if I have to discard some features to keep the small/gaming factors. My budget is $1100 CAD. Keep in mind that I have a desktop computer so I'm not really looking for suggestions on getting one, also I'm in Canadia with Kyle and Dani.

Just as a side note, I bought the Surface pro on Monday and I'm really enjoying the portability of it to take it around the house and pretty much do everything intuitively with the touch screen, however the Surface just doesn't seem to have enough capability for gaming (DUH it only has an integrated Intel HD graphics 4000 lol, though I tried a couple of games such as css, don't starve and minecraft and they were all playable) but I'm afraid I will regret keeping it down the road. I appreciate all feedback!
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Jun 11, 2012
      I would suggest any of the Dell Xperion Line. My brother has that line and I think I payed about 1000+ or something but it's a 15.4 screen. He was playing FC3 the other day on it and it was running smoothly at above medium settings. I think that small screen size you ask for may a huge limiting factor for you when you search for laptops since the hardware coincides with how big the laptops are.

SSD is something I always recommend to do it aftermarket. Just hit up a local place or Newegg and you can get a SSD cheaper than trying to get it as a option on your laptop. Also opening a laptop and installing a drive/ram is really easy.
    • Jul 14, 2008
      The Xperion actually looks good, they even have a 14" version that should be enough for what I'm looking to do! Any more suggestions?
    • Jan 12, 2011
      While I could suggest my current laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y460, a surprisingly powerful wonder at 14"), it's no longer available for purchase as it's a couple years old. However, someone who himself recently did some laptop shopping and got a Lenovo is @Kyron The Wise. Other than the Windows 8 ickiness, I've heard he's enjoyed his more modern Lenovo quite a bit.

As I recall, he got an IdeaPad Y580 (linky -> http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/y-series/y580/), however at 15.6" it's just outside of the form factor you're looking at. I'd still give him a ring though about his experiences with it, since a good laptop is a still a good laptop. I can't remember if it was him I was talking to or @Ghost, but there are ways to rework Windows 8 back to a desktop and strip out a lot of the Metro garbage.

If you'd like to know about my somewhat outdated (but still capable) laptop anyway, lemme know and I shall share my experiences. In short: it serves me well.

Edit: Forgot to say, @Angel/Latino King, that both my Y460 and Kyron's Y580 can reasonably run modern games at mid-high settings. I haven't stress tested mine with the newest stuff on my Steam account yet, but Kyron's laptop (being newer and all) likely can run new games quite well. Like I said above, be sure to ask him about it. As for portability, be sure to get yourself a decent laptop bag with a good strap. It helps if you can get the computer's size down, but the bag's strap can make a pretty big difference in where/how much you want to carry the laptop.

TL;DR - Give Lenovo's lineup a look, since they make pretty powerful laptops for their size and price point. Just a note though, power comes at a price, and at least for my laptop that means that the hardware in it makes the poor thing more or less into a tiny furnace. Probably not as much an issue with newer chipsets, but it's still worth it. (Bonus: +2 heating during the winter!)
      Vadleon, Feb 15, 2013 Last edited by Vadleon, Feb 15, 2013
    • May 14, 2011

http://ninite.com/

Got rid of everything with those two programs.