Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Laptop won't turn back on

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Zenzr, Dec 26, 2013

1. Jul 8, 2012
    So the title is exactly it. I was updating steam games when all the sudden my laptop won't turn back on. I work in IT so naturally I took it to my boss to look at. We took out the battery, HDD, and ram and nothing seems to work. Even took out the CD drive. It turns on for about a second or two, then shuts off. It did run quite hot as far as laptops go, but It never seemed to bother it.

Does anyone have ideas?
    Zenzr, Dec 26, 2013 Last edited by Zenzr, Dec 26, 2013
  2. Mar 14, 2013
    my best guess is u killed your laptop, you over loaded the cpu (maybe) and have short circuited some of the components

the only to see any kid of short circuting is by opening and dissassembling the laptop which will be a pain

my next advice is to let it cool down, take out the battery and wait till it feels cool then put it back in and see if anything changes

also heres my reaction "whyy diid u kill lappy :weep:" [IMG]
  3. Aug 2, 2010
  4. Jul 8, 2012
    I'm thinking so. Well may look like a new computer is closer in my future than I thought.

@Brett I know you really don't like laptops, but any ideas?
  5. Feb 27, 2012
    I agree with rxn, sounds like a fried mobo. I know that is also a symptom of a dying PSU on a desktop as well, idk about laptops, doubt it though.
  6. Jul 8, 2012
    I guess 2 1/2 years isn't that bad of a life span for laptops lol.
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    If it was a CPU overload, the system wouldn't automatically turn off from a cold boot. When was the last time your computer died because of an "overload." What you might be saying is that it overheated due to a clogged fan or heatsink, thermal paste that might have become brittle, or a combination of the two and a failure of his thermal controls. I highly doubt it was his CPU. Also...

[IMG]

Highly likely that your motherboard is fried. Probably some blown capacitors and your computer isn't getting enough charge to boot up. Take out the motherboard, grab a maginifying glass, and look for blackened or burst capacitors and replace them. You'll be good to go. If you don't want to spend the time, you can buy a replacement board. Hope that helps.
  8. Jul 8, 2012
    Alright. Thanks for the ideas guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    "just say no"
    [IMG]
    and oh it was from a cold boot wat D: ut u said it was hot :weep:
    o well if u decided to scrap ur laptop away i sugggest you take out the screen lcd and keep it as a replacement part ^^
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Aug 2, 2010
      What kind of specs are you looking for in your laptop?
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I'm still debating between a laptop or a desktop to get. But I want it to be gaming quality, so at least being able to play games at high(ish) settings. Nothing can be worse than my radeon 5650 card I had in my current one though lol.
    • Aug 2, 2010
      Damn you for making me type another response so I can fully answer your question, failbot.

Screen size? Price range? Battery life important?
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I'm thinking 14-15", though 17" would be okay. battery life not really important. hopefully around the 1K range either way I go. I know it's not going to get me anything spectacular laptop wise though so that's why I was thinking desktop.
    • May 31, 2012
      Usually "fried CPU" or "mobo" is a more progressive issue; it happens every once in a while and each time it happens it becomes worse. The way it is described here sounds like this is the first time that it happened and now it's done for. If this has been happening more and more often then I am more likely to believe it. See if there is dust blocking air flow from the fan and turn the computer on while it's on it's side; you can even use those coolers people set their computer on. Prove that it's fried. It'll still turn off but it'll last noticeably longer because of the air flow.

Inspect the laptop for any damages ie. damaged USB or ports. If the port is damaged and it's on a separate card by ribbon, then unplug the ribbon and test.

Isolation is a good diagnostics method but :dazed: you'll want to keep the RAM in or exchange it with known good RAM. If you continued diagnostics without RAM then the results of any diagnostics afterwards were inconclusive.

I am confused by the 2nd sentence: "updating steam games when all the sudden my laptop won't turn back on." When did it turn off? Did you turn it off or did it shut down by itself in the middle of the updates?

A common problem with laptop is that the battery needs to be re-seated. LITERALLY. I'm hoping that battery was pulled out before removing other parts ie. RAM so that this can be ruled out... but if it wasn't... then I would definitely recommend this first. Occam's razor works! Note that if the battery was not removed while removing the other components... this is equivalent to removing components in a desktop while the computer is still on (just not good practice and it can cause damage).
      Joshy, Dec 26, 2013 Last edited by Joshy, Dec 26, 2013
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Yes sorry, we removed the battery first before removing anything else.

It shut down in the middle of downloading the games, I did not shut down manually.
    • May 31, 2012
      Has the issue been progressive? Was it turning off in the past or is this more sudden?
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Damn. That's not bad at all. I may bump a few of the specs up just to see what I can get.
    • Nov 11, 2011