Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

League of Legends Chatter: AP Carry Facts and Information.

Discussion in Gaming started by Clam Chowder, Oct 15, 2012

1. Nov 29, 2010
    AP Carries are an important aspect since they rely on their skills and if used properly, can turn the tide of a battle in a simple combo.

Gameplay:
    90% of AP Carries use their skills to be effective and deal damage. Unlike bruisers and AD carries, their autoattacks are mainly for harrassing or last hitting. In teamfights, their autoattacks will not deal a great deal amount of damage until late game, that being said, autoattacks are still useless in fights as the skills ap carries use are the pinnacle of their effectiveness. There are many playstyles for AP carries, some will can wittle your HP to nothing over time (Malzahar, Karthus, singed) Or chunk down your HP with a powerful Combo (Akali, Ahri, Veigar, Kassadin). An AP Carry will usually be solo-mid or solo-top.

Mana: Each champion has their own mana pool (with a few exceptions) Some are dependant on regen items and blue-buff in order to be effective, while others can can easily conserve their mana or don't use mana at all. Don't blow all your mana early game to get minion kills and harass. You don't want to push your minions to the enemy turret.

Focuses:
    Your main focus is to deal tons of damage to the squishy characters and take them out of the fight ASAP. (Ad carries, and AP carries are your main concern).

I like to split the carries into three different categories. Note, Some champions can fulfill more than one role

Hard Casters
    These are the hard nukers of the game, meaning their skill combos will nuke your health until it's nothing. The Assassin category falls under this too since they jump in, get a kill and get out. Examples: Annie, Akali, Fizz, Gragas, Karthus.

Anti-Mages
    These guys counter other AP Carries with either a stun, silence or a skill that does damage based off of AP. They will mostly only be effective vs other AP carries, but they can still do considerable damage to squishy champions. Examples: Leblanc, Kassadin, Veigar

Disruptors
    These guys sole purpose is to fuck your team with hard CC, They can build tanky or their skills are revolved around just being a pain. These guys can turn the tides of teamfights with their skills. Examples: Orianna, Singed, Fizz, Shen.

Important Terms:
    Ability Power (AP): Almost all of your skills scale off ability power, either as an offensive or defensive skill. The more, the better.
    Magic Resist (MR): Magic resist takes away a % of your enemy's Magic Damage.
    Magic Penetration (Magic Pen): As the title says, it goes through a % of your enemy's Magic Resist
    Cooldown Reduction (CDR): Lowers cooldowns on your skills;

Items:
    There are many paths an AP carry can take compared to the Bruisers and AD Carries.

Core items in most builds:
    Starter Items:

Boots: There are two boots that are good for ap carries, Merc Threads (If they're getting focused) or Sorcerers Shoes (Magic Pen)

Dorans Rings: A good item for beginner AP carries, HP, AP and Manaregen. However after you buy this, you can't buy anything else.

Amplifying Tome: If you're feeling ballsey, however I wouldn't reccommend it unless you are going straight for AP damage, you can only buy 1 pot after purchase.

Mid Game Items:

Majai's Soulstealer: A snowball item, +20 AP and +8 per kill, max stacks at 20 and gives %15 Cooldown Reduction at max stacks, giving you a max of 180 AP. Loses 30% per death. Not recommended unless you're doing really well.

Hextech Revolver: Good for Spellvamp with champions that combo their skills.

Rod of Ages: An item that gives you AP, Health and Mana. If my lane is going okay, I'll grab this for that extra assurance. an all-around great item for any ap carry. Not to mention gives you more ap/mana/hp every minute.
    Needlessly Large Rod: Great chunk of AP if you're dominating.
    Late Game Items:

Late Game:

Deathfire Grasp: Useful only if you're proficient at item proccing. Deals a flat damage + % of enemy HP. +4% Per 100 AP. +80 AP and 15% CDR

Morello's Evil Tome: A great item for AP/Mana Regen and CDR.

Rabadon's Deathcap: 140AP + % of your AP is not a small amount, it's almost a mandatory item.

Zhonya's Hourglass: +100 AP and 5 Seconds of invincibility is a must if you're getting focused. Take this item if you're getting focused. *USE THE PROC IF YOU GET ONE* Mostly used for squishy mages.

Archangel's Staff: A 1000 Mana boost (If maxed out) and converts a % of your maximum mana into AP. A very powerful late-game item.

Non-Core items:

Lichbane: Giving that extra "Umph" behind your autoattacks, + a little AP and MR. It procs by a skill and gives your next autoattack a % of your AP in attack damage. A must have for carries who use autoattacks in their attacks. I.E: Lux and Akali

Abyssal Scepter: Magic Resistance, +70 AP and a Magic Resistance Reduction aura (-20 MR) A great item for melee casters such as Kass and Fizz

Athene's Unholy Grail: A good item if you're not having a good lane at all and are being harrassed hard. Magic Resist, AP and a large Mana Regeneration boost

Banshee's Veil: A good item to counter hard nukers and assassins, Health, Mana, Magic Resist, and a passive shield that blocks one skill. A great item on Ryze since his nukes scale on both AP and Mana.

Force of Nature: This item is only good for the tankier AP carries like Singed and Orianna, it gives a large health regen boost and a ton of MR

Rylai's Crystal Scepter: Good for nukers with little to no CC as it slows, gives HP and +80 AP. Great for Akali, and Fizz as this item helps them chase down fleeing foes.

Will of the Ancients: As this item gives you and your team passive spellvamp, it'll keep you in lane a lot longer. Great for health casters like Mordekaiser, Vladimir, and fast combo champions like Ahri.

Void Staff: If your enemy is stacking MR, this is a must have item.

Hextech Gunblade: Useful for hybrid champions like Akali and Evelynn. A proc to slow enemies and do a chunk of damage.

Guinsoo's Rageblade: Only useful for champions that can rapidly chain skills and autoattacks. Such as Evelynn and Diana.

Recommended Runes:

Reds:
    Magic Penetration.

Yellows:
    Health Per Level. Great for champions who don't use mana or don't burn mana that fast.
    Mana Regen: Keeps you in lane for longer
    Mana Regen Per Level: Great for late game, keeps you in the fight.

Blues:
    Flat AP: Great for early-game, though falls off late game
    AP Per Level: Weak early game, though helps late-game
    Magic Resist: Less damage.

Quints:
    Flat AP. AP Per level quints though good late game, it's difficult to support yourself if you're going full ap/level
    Magic Penetration. More damage.

Masteries:
    Casters are flexible when it comes to masteries, You can make your own adjustments.
    Tanky Casters
    9-21-0

Aggressive Casters:
    21-0-9
    Or
    21-9-0

Utility Casters
    9-0-21

Main Weaknesses:
    Magic Resist: A great counter against an AP caster as it makes them not as effective
    CC: Almost any AP carry will go down fast if they are stunned or silenced.
    Ganks: A good gank can easily take an AP carry out of the game for a good time, Middle lane is very vulnerable to ganks as it has 6 different routes a jungler to take to catch you off by surprise.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Clam Chowder, Oct 15, 2012 Last edited by Clam Chowder, Oct 15, 2012
    • Aug 1, 2011
      I would think LeBlanc is more of a nuke champion than an anti-mage. Thats what she is built for, single target destruction, like Annie or Veigar. The silence is nice and all and shes a pretty good counter to most AP champions, but I personally don't think she is an anti-mage.

But most of the stuff you have on here is pretty good!
    • Mar 12, 2008
      Singed is an AP carry, AD carry, and bruiser.

Don't you just classify my singed as just AP
    • Nov 29, 2010

You've contradicted yourself in that post.
    • Apr 1, 2012
      imo AUG surpasses morello's evil tome by miles.. virtually infinite mana, buttloads of ap and cdr, magic resist to counter enemy APs..and the passive mana restoration makes mana intensive champs a lot more powerful (think AP yi)
    • Aug 1, 2011
      How so? All I said was she is a single target nuker and is also a good counter because of her silence. How is the contradicting?
    • Nov 29, 2010
      As I've stated earlier, a champion can fit more than one topic, not just one. Leblanc is an all-around single nuke, anti-mage and Assassin.
    • Mar 12, 2008
      ass-ass-chin more like it. leblanc is for people who want to kill and be killed easy
    • Jun 23, 2011
      This is a interesting read since i gotten back into LoL since my friend forced me to play with him

I play as syndra who i find quite enjoyable and consider myself decent with her but what other casters are there that have a interesting playing style like her?

It gets kinda boring playing as one person all the time
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Orianna has a similar concept, controlling another object as her damage output. She is a really good champion.
    • Mar 12, 2008

DIS MAH SINGED
    • Nov 29, 2010
      You might have a lot of fun playing Karthus, Ahri, Cassiopeia and Kassadin.

No two champions have identical play styles so that's a difficult question, they do have similar ish skills. But I believe you enjoy chaining together skills with short cooldowns.
    • Aug 1, 2011
      What summoner spells do you grab? Ghost and heal?
    • Mar 12, 2008
      ghost and flash. if i'm feeling particularily awesome, ghost and ignite, i'll put the flash point into the mana regen skill. Not much, but any mana regen helps tons on singed. some may have other opinions, like adding to the tank tree, but singed gets super tanky anyways after the RoA is built. It's all thornmail and FoN after that
    • Oct 29, 2010
      But you can never be too tanky, AD and AP carries scale better than tanks. I still think you should take out 1 point from the AP in offense and the 1 point from utility for the 21 defense. :heart:
    • Mar 12, 2008
    • Nov 6, 2011
      • Funny Funny x 1