Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Resource Less laggidy lag from firedy fire!

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by enviolinador, Sep 10, 2012

1. May 31, 2012
    As a ZE player most of the time, and having made dejavu, I've noticed that the most important cause of lag is fire, being this caused by particle systems that, with 60 burning zombies, become absurdly expensive. As of this, and because of utter boreddom, I decided to simplify Valve's default particle systems a bit today. Installing/deleting those would be quite simple, and would just involve putting the files in the /cstrike/particles folder or creating this folder. I will leave two different versions, a normal, slightly simplified one (with fire particles, burning fx and ShroomForests simplified particles to avoid laggidy lag at Extreme mode, mostly because of the skybox), and the ubersimplified burning fx for lowest end pcs.

---- Syoudous tested it a bit (first one);
    Syoudous: wow
    Syoudous: 40fps
    Syoudous: all zombies on fire
    Syoudous: from panic nades
    Syoudous: cuz they failed
    Enviolinador: so good?
    Syoudous: it's an improvement

THE PACK: (Reuploaded)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tjpqdc

Includes:
    • Alien sample styled fire
    • Green fire
    • Red fire (2 different styles)
    • High FPS default fire (for either absolute FPS or FPS and looks)

If anybody has a suggestion and/or idea to improve those, please do say. I know the looks are a bit harm with those replacements, but I believe the difference won't be really big, at least in the case of the last particles, while performance will greatly improve.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
      enviolinador, Sep 10, 2012 Last edited by enviolinador, Oct 31, 2012
    • Apr 1, 2012
      now make me ze_chinatown!
    • May 31, 2012
    • Jul 20, 2012
    • Apr 9, 2012

I have said the exact same thing as Enviolinador some time ago, saying the arguably only reason of lagg was the fire particle and I even suggested changing the fire particle. Instead of helpful comments everyone told me I had a crappy computer and that I should tone down my graphics options. This again proves that I was right all the time.

Now you hear it from someone else!
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Sep 25, 2010
        This is a solution for people who have shitty computers XD
      • May 31, 2012
        Also, they can be both less fps-killing and different; I made a few 'coolio fires' just for fun (they cost less fps too!). Piciddies:[IMG]
        [IMG]
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Artistic Artistic x 1
        • May 17, 2011
          Never attempt to be the first(or one of the first) person(s) to state a fact/solution to something.

Nobody likes those that think of things first.
        • Aug 10, 2012
          Installed it and it works like a charm! (The ultra non-laggy one)
          I prefer it to the original fire! :smile:
        • Jun 15, 2012
        • Jan 11, 2011
          Will test when I get my old computer back, but so far sounds great. However I' surprised you mention that you reduced the smoke particles, imo you can just delete all the smoke from the particles.
          Also, green fire looks cool. XD

Once you are happy with the results of Look+FPS, you need to pass the word about this. Maybe even including advertisment about the Particle Pack (or "Whatever Pack" if you include other things, like the files CS:S misses for using the cool text showing options) so people will download it.
        • Apr 1, 2012
          been using this for a long time (check my previous post date in this thread), am one satisfied customer
        • May 31, 2012
          I'll probably make a bunch of them and will put a complete .rar with all of them, installation instructions and so on. Also, I believe this could be used on maps too, directly pakrating the .pcf file, allowing mappers to get different fire effects. Furthermore, on 'heavy' fire maps it could be used to set a simplified fire particle that would make the map itself more enjoyable.

Edit: I have reuploaded it, http://www.sendspace.com/file/tjpqdc . The instalation instructions are the same, drag the .pcf file and drop it in the /particles folder located in /cstrike. If it does not exist, just create it.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
            enviolinador, Oct 31, 2012 Last edited by enviolinador, Oct 31, 2012
          • Jul 20, 2012
            Which folder do I use for slow computer between FPS Fire and High FPS Fire?
          • May 30, 2012
          • May 25, 2012
            High FPS Fire would keep a small balance between it looking like Normal CS:S fire while not keeping it expensive at all really. The FPS Fire I believe is just slightly decreased in particle emissions while still retaining further looks into the original CS:S fire.

To make this post a little more useful, I'll drop my own custom fire_01.pcf. I made the explosion_huge and some of the fire particles as well for it to be less emissive but unfortunately it seems some mappers just copied and pasted the fire particles for their own, so I have no control over it.

Link: Download

Drop it in cstrike/particles/ or cstrike/custom/my_custom_stuff/particles/ and you should be solid. Balance folder is less emissive, FPS folder for conservation.
            Syoudous, Jul 22, 2013 Last edited by Syoudous, Jul 22, 2013
          • Sep 7, 2010
          • Oct 18, 2015
            • Funny Funny x 1