Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Let's Play Classic Doom!

Discussion in Setup an Event started by Vadleon, Apr 30, 2012

1. Jan 12, 2011
    I would hope most people who regularly play PC games would have at least heard of Doom, but in case you don't know about it allow me to introduce you to a classic wonder and hopefully round up some people to play online together! Let's get this ball rolling!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    doomClassic
    General Discussion and Event Planning

Doom is an old game. It's a very old game. First released in 1993, it was a relatively simple but challenging game featuring First-Person-Shooter (FPS) gameplay. While this doesn't sound remotely special today, FPS games were far in the minority back then. Doom was one of a handful of important old games that solidified FPS as a genre in the gaming market. I won't drag on about the history, so I'll leave yall the wiki link here. Do read a bit about it, it's interesting stuff!

For perspective, you guys shouldn't expect BF3 out of this. Yes, the game looks crummy by today's standards. So what if it only sports 2-and-a-half-D level design? Perhaps the pixels remind you of Minecraft? Key puzzles?? A LEVEL BEGINNING AND END????

All of these are true aspects of the game, but there is one thing that makes this stand apart from many others: clever gameplay. The weapons given are probably not new to you (FYI they probably started here), but they are the bread and butter you'll be using in different situations. In addition, the variety of monsters and attacks will keep you dodging around the level as you seek that one stimpack you left at the beginning.

I may not be making a very great pitch, but this is one of my favorite games of all time. I grew up with it on our old K6 MS-DOS computer and it has aged really well in terms of replay value. On top of that, for a game that is nearly 19 years old it STILL has new content coming out in the form of community mods.

The goal of this thread is to show people the classic Doom games (not Doom3) and encourage some online play with the source ports and new maps/modes. I'll try to update this with new findings, information, wad downloads, and tips to the game.

A few handy links:
    Doom on Wikipedia
    -As linked above, this provides a general overview of the game and its history.
    The proper Doom Wiki
    -This is where you can look up specifics about each game, the weapons, monsters, levels, easter eggs, and tons more!
    The Doom Wad Station
    -A place to find wads! Lots and lots of wads! (Wads are the game's file format, to those unfamiliar.)
    The Skulltag Homepage
    -A place to download and see new information about Skulltag. Skulltag is one of the primary source ports available for Doom which adds a few new guns, monsters, power-ups, and modes to the game, most notably Invasion. More on this later.
    (More links likely to come)

Wad Download links:
    (Will be added later)

How do I play?

You might get lucky and a find a box set somewhere at your local computer store, but probably the easiest way to find and purchase these games is via Steam.
    • The Ultimate Doom is the first game, linked here and priced at $10.
    • Doom II is the second game, linked here and is also $10. If you only want to buy one of these, get this one!
    • Final Doom is an episode expansion to Doom II, linked here and also $10.
    • Perhaps the best option for all your Doom goodness is the Doom Complete Pack, linked here and priced at $35. It includes the previous 3 things, plus the Master Levels of Doom II, and plus Doom 3 and its expansion. It's probably best to wait until it goes on sale, but very much worth the buy!
    After purchasing and installing these games, you'll probably want to do some tweaking to make them more user-friendly. Their default Steam installs aren't much to be impressed of, but with the aid of a source port they will be quite a bit more playable. Like mentioned above, source ports do as their name says - they port the source code of the original game engine into a format that can be played readily on modern systems. They also come with a number of perks, such as graphic and sounds settings, gameplay options, and a couple simple abilities such as jumping and crouching. (Do note that jumping and crouching weren't present in the original game, so these additions might render some puzzles meaningless.) Don't worry about it, as the source codes for these games were released ages ago by its developing company, id Software. These ports constructed from the code are simply mechanisms to run the game while granting you some modern comforts.

Anyway, onto the setup! Please bear with me, this will help organize your stuff and make it easier to use in the future.
    • The first thing you'll want to do is consolidate your Doom files. I'd suggest making a new folder called "Doom stuff" or the like somewhere in your main Games directory (if you have one). If you don't have a Games directory just put this stuff somewhere intuitive.
    • Next, you'll want to make two more folders within your new Doom folder, one for IWads and one for PWads. IWad stands for "Internal Wad," or basically what are the primary game files. PWad stands for "Patch Wad," or mod files. I personally prefer to separate the two file types so I can more easily manage them.
    • Next, copy the IWads you have gotten from Steam into their new folder. Do not be concerned of the files working without Steam, as all they need is an application to run the wads (Steam uses its own and we'll be running a source port shortly). Wads, in fact, are so old and simple that they do not contain any DRM, so this is quite possible. Navigate to your Steam directory > steamapps > common > (Doom title) > base, and the file you wish to copy is the game's name.WAD.
    • After you've collected all your IWads, now let's move onto the programs.

I'll put together a comprehensible guide on where to go from here soon, but in the meantime I'd suggest giving the game links a gander. I'll need to make sure my guide for locating files, loading ZDL, and installing Skulltag work so please be patient. (If you're super eager, you can always look into it yourself while I type this up. :razz: )

(WORDS)

ZDL Information - Here
    Unfortunately it appears the original ZDL project died some time ago, but it is still available for use. ZDL stands for "Z Doom Launcher," but you don't specifically need to run ZDoom. GZDoom and Skulltag (a GZDoom variant) are both effective and recommended.
    ZDL 3.1a Download - Here
    ZDL 3.1a alternate Download - Here

Currently investigating QZDL and ZDLsharp.
    (MORE WORDS)

Until I get this all ironed out, why don't we start with who's interested and what you guys know about the game. :grin:
    (Also, don't be discouraged from playing the game due to my megapost and technical guide. It's an old game, so it needs a bit of prep-work to be fancy and relatively uniform to play together.)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
      Vadleon, Apr 30, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, May 7, 2012
    • Jan 12, 2011
    • Nov 2, 2010
    • Jan 12, 2011
    • Nov 29, 2010
      You could've cut it off after the first phrase vad :razz:

Anyways, I don't own doom but if I did I'd be glad to play it again
    • Jan 12, 2011
      I'm considering making some kind of contest/giveaway for some Doom copies since the game seems to be obscure from age. Details are unknown as I just thought of it and need to buy some spare copies, but it'll likely take place sometime next week when I have time to figure something out with them. (Really hoping they go on sale.....)

Also, to those curious about the first Doom get-together it too will likely occur sometime next week when I have time to play and finish up my OP guide for Skulltag. For now, I just wanted to check what people know about Doom, who have it, and who are willing to play. First step always is organization!
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Aww yeah something I have a big knowledge base of! I absolutely positively LOVE Doom! You are talking to a big Doom fan here, possiblely the first FPS I have ever played. I own every single game, own all the original books, everything. I can answer any questions that anyone has, and will HIGHLY recommend the games AND books. The books are called "Knee Deep in the Dead", "Hell on Earth", "Infernal Sky", and "Endgame". Absolutely WONDERFUL.
      I will play. Play. Play.

Just gimme the double barrel shotgun and I am good to go!

I know all the guns, and the enemies, and the majority of levels. Veteran of Doom :razz:
    • Jan 12, 2011
      I forget which of Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, or Dark Forces was my first FPS but I'm a fan of the classics and I'm also very experienced with Doom. It outta be interesting to see how long we last on some of the invasion maps I have..... :razz:
      Vadleon, May 1, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, May 1, 2012
    • Dec 6, 2011
      I'm willing to buy, this game was so amazing. This was the building blocks for our games today, I actually still rock out the full version on my Android.
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Vad I have to say, I'm actually excited about this haha. I've never played multiplayer Doom so I have no idea how
    • Mar 20, 2011
      It is basically like one giant coop, back in the days they had hell of multi player maps but my internet was dial up so by the time I finished downloading the map, the servers would be on the next map. WEAK!
    • Apr 12, 2012
      Dark Forces OWNED! It was my first FPS game (1995 or so?), and still every few years I literally go back and play it completely through. I played it so much back when I got it that every time I go back to it now, I remember the levels in complete detail.. I could probably draw out 6-8 of them right now with 99% accuracy lol.

Doom, although I played it, didn't have nearly the same draw Dark Forces did. I have trouble even remembering the look at all :frown:
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Doom multiplayer is awesome! When I put together the tech guide for everyone, we'll all hopefully be running similar setups so coordinating connections should be relatively simple after we get our wads together.

Dark Forces brought some important improvements to the table: 1) jumping/crouching, 2) overlapping floor design on levels, and 3) equipment. There are probably a couple other things I'm forgetting, but those three are huge. I like to replay the old Lucas Arts games, too. :smile:

Also, don't worry about not remembering it to such detail. I'm happy enough you recognize the name. You wouldn't believe how many gamers I've talked to who haven't a clue what Doom, Duke Nukem, or other games are. :dontknow:

Edit: Unrelated to Doom discussion, this is my 750th post! :grin:
      Vadleon, May 1, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, May 1, 2012
    • Aug 1, 2011
    • Jan 12, 2011
      That's the plan! I just want to wait on playing Doom until at least after today, since I have a psychology final. Then I'll have a couple days where I may be able to investigate server settings and not panic about my other finals next week. :thumbsup:
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Then let's get to it! My finals are all done and I'll be home with time to spare.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      I'm not done with my finals yet. Blarg. :dazed:

I have a short opening where I might test some server settings, but I have a feeling it'll depend on joining-players to already have the appropriate wads and settings to work correctly.
      Just curious, what kind of Doom setup do you currently have? (source port/launcher/wads) Also, how many custom wads have you played?
    • Feb 21, 2007
      haha. I remember doing god mod and walking thru doom (original) on the hardest setting, and just having guys as far as you can see on the screen lol.
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Haha I remember just staring at like a group of 5 cyber demons like...sup guys

Because when you saw this, you knew you were gunna have a bad time.

[IMG]
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Oh man, have either of you two played the "Nuts" wad? It's the only wad I can think of that actually makes my computer chug, because it has over 10,000 enemies on the map. You haven't seen a screen full of monsters until you've played this one. :curse:
      Vadleon, May 3, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, May 3, 2012