Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Suggestion Lighten up on Advertising, Racism etc.

Discussion in Server Suggestions & Bugs started by teemo, Jan 23, 2017

If someone says N*gger do you really think thats racist?

Yes 6 vote(s) 26.1%
No 6 vote(s) 26.1%
Only if they say it in bad context 11 vote(s) 47.8%
  1. Jan 25, 2014
    This is just to make things a little more fun. I haven't seen this stuff come up but I really think they are non-issues with 95% of the people that play on the server.

The Racism rule. Currently if you say the n word you automatically get a warning. But is it really an issue?

I think this should be eliminated and rolled up in no discrimination. Where it depends on the context as well as if it is excessive or not.

Currently the no advertising rule is NO ADVERTISING.

but think of this if we get a twitch streamer in and he has his link as his name is it really worth telling him to change it? Is it harming anyone? I actually think it would be beneficial.

So my suggestion would be limit this to only excessive advertising.

@tfreeman451 I know you had some ideas so if you have any other suggestions add them here
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    personally, i think there is a difference between the slang ni**a and actual word N*gg** other than that, its not wrong to have those words completely banned. this isnt 1962, more so 2017 at the same time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jul 14, 2010
      We discussed the racism rule and I wouldn't mind easing up on use of like N***A, but really the word has always been ignorant and distasteful in history. Plus, do we really need people using racial slurs on the server to have fun? I think the occasional slip is fine, and that's what I thought has been going on is that admins are more lenient and warn, re-warn, or just gag, instead of going to a kick or ban, unless the person is being really malicious.

As for advertising, old rooter Josh had a good policy where he only banned people who had advertising that had to do with taking players away to other servers or games like people joining and spamming IP's, or go to this CSS website for this hack/new server, bla bla bla.. But when an admin warns for like a google.com link or pictures and says @no links!, I cringe a little. So hopefully admins are a little more lenient on this or we can make it known if everyone agrees of course. Twitch streamers are fine by me as long as they are just recording their play on the server, but not server hopping and telling people to follow them just to gather a crowd server to server.

These are just some replies to your initial ideas, but I can add more later.
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Apr 26, 2015
        IMO I think it should be enforced based on more malicious intent. So things like "kill the N's" "FUCK N's" "Stupid N's" and loosen up on people saying "sup N's" "ah damn N's" "ah shit N's" "All them N's up there on that fuckin train shooting me fuckin quit it"

Faggot is a word thats distasteful and used negatively towards gays, but its always been allowed. Same with people calling others Jews.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
      • Jan 25, 2014
        I agree with Penguin 150% As for the racism rule... The only problem I see with it is, after it is initially "Nullified" imagine how many people are going to wear it out in the server? Imagine it for a moment. o.o All under "Well, it's not a rule anymore, lol." As Penguin said, we don't HAVE to be a drill Sargent about it but it should stay in place for the few that do use it the wrong way. As far as the advertisement goes, yea, I also agree. If they aren't being excessive or they aren't pulling players away, I would like to be okay with it. I honestly don't like having to ask players to take the .com out of their names. At the very least I just think it should be a rule for the added backup when it does need to be applied but more of an unspoken thing to not be an asshole admin about it? I completely dislike the racism. It's just wrong. The word doesn't need to be used in any context. We are supposed to be kind to everyone here. I only see player abuse on other players and against admins in the future. And I would seriously hate to see admins using it for any reason. It Just opens up windows of opportunity that we all know will be used to the fullest.
        Isnukamex, Jan 23, 2017 Last edited by Isnukamex, Jan 23, 2017
      • Apr 26, 2015
        For people with stupid names like clutchnoscoper.com or wowthesalt.com which don't pull up anything from a search I just let it be as they're not doing any harm. Anyone with an actual name like CSGOskins.com or the likes of blatant advertising I'll kick to the curb. People who have twitch.tv/theirchannelhere I may just ask to remove the twitch.tv from their name, though some will go in chat and say "streaming come watch", which I'll then step in for. I think some links like posting a youtube link in chat should be fine, or an imgur link on some occasions. There is a big difference between "hey we're talking about how we're modifying our cars, check out this youtube link to a stereo I had installed recently." compared to "hello young folk, do you like CSGO skins for cheap? visit this website for the best skins for cheap."
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Aug 6, 2016
          This is a bad thing to do sir. Brian and others have stated clearly before. Looking for the searches yourself is a bad idea. The links that look like fail links could very well be links with viruses that activate immediately. D:

Absolutely.

Would not mind having our server streamed, if that was the case. :grin: Anyone else though, Get your own billboard. :<
        • Apr 26, 2015
          If you do a search for the site and don't attempt to go to the actual site you're fine. Go do a google search for wowthesalt.com, then do one for csgoskins.com. wowthesalt.com comes up with nothing, csgoskins.com comes up with a website. That's enough for me to know if its real or not, I don't need to go to the website, though if I whip it up on my phone the likelihood of me catching some virus is slim.

I don't either if they come in and say "hey I'm going to stream this server is that cool.", but getting players in our server to go watch them stream something else is, like Penguin said, getting players out of our server and them advertising themselves. Their twitch link is advertising enough.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Aug 6, 2016
            @teemo Your vote needs a fourth option of "No but I think it will still cause issues to arise." Something along those lines. Your choices are strongly in your case's favor and lack the ability to give others an opportunity to vote against it.
          • Jan 25, 2014
            You saying it by discussing it is valid enough. It is just to see who really cares about this kind of stuff or not and it seems like the majority so far doesn't think it is a huge issue.
          • Mar 31, 2010
            N*gga please..

I personally think saying n*gger in any way is racist, whereas it depends of the context of how one says n*gga to be considered racist or not. Like what I wrote above to you: not racist.

Then again, it depends of the person too. Everyone's different. Some people take light insults/jokes different than others. If it bothers someone if you playfully say something including n*gga (like I wrote above: "n*gga please"), then I wouldn't do it again.

I think it's fine how it is right now: it's better this way that people refrain from using words like n*gga on the server. If it slips up, give a little warning or something: but don't go nuts and instantly permaban the person unless they say it in a purely racist manner or with the intent to hurt someone (kind of like using the word faggot to insult someone: in my opinion it's not right to use either in that context). For someone using the word n*gga playfully or with banter, give a warning & silence (and explain why you can't use words like that on the server: "it opens the door to say other things worse than it, it's a fine, fine line you don't wanna cross, etc", then a kick, then a ban, etc.
          • Aug 6, 2016
            Is this possibly stemming from the fact that your voting options don't allow voters to vote against it without going 100% yes? I haven't voted myself because I am not 100% on it. I understand fully it's not racist unless expressed that way specifically and intentionally but it still shouldn't be allowed.
            Is it hard to believe that the community has the ability to see things from both sides? Or are we all just those zombies that knife at windows that will never break? :razz:
            It may just be me but I believe it will soil the professionalism we like to present here.
            Isnukamex, Jan 23, 2017 Last edited by Isnukamex, Jan 23, 2017
          • Oct 29, 2010
            Teemo's votes are always like that, I've stopped even looking at them, they're meaningless.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I think we'd be fine if we just focused more on the context behind the words rather than the words themselves; at the same time, I don't really care for the words in a public setting.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Jun 29, 2014
              while its true people would wear out the word very fast, it will settle down and just become part of the chat. Let em use the harmful words and just enforce the no spam rule, hence 5 times in 10 seconds, you get the idea. Honestly if you cant handle the word N*gger or N*gga you shouldn't be playing online games.

Same goes for the Advertising and Website names, unless its GFL.com or some name directing people to another server i don't see how it is hurting anything,
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Apr 26, 2015
                I think people have a presumption that if we allowed it, the server starts turning into GFL. Except we have rules for chat and mic spam, unlike them.

Also

Do not use excessive inappropriate language.
                (top)

This includes but is not limited to constant swearing or crude comments. Key word is excessive. We don't give a fuck if you swear but just ensure every other word isn't one.

So if someone were to just continually keep saying it every third word they've already fallen under this rule.

And I'd like to reiterate that people can say and call each other faggot on the server, which really I think is just on par with saying this. We have LGBTQ players who play on our server, I think the rule set for both is lopsided as is. I personally don't see much of a difference between "Damn why did you backstab me faggot?" versus "Damn why'd you have to backstab me Nga". Both can be used bad in context, they should be on the same bar.
                • Agree Agree x 4
                • Jan 25, 2014
                  bingo I am still happily okay with this being enforced. as I think it is distasteful as well but it really doesnt bother me nowadays. I'm sure we have heard a lot worse. I still won't say it cause it's just not for me but sometimes can be a buzzkill if a new player comes in and they slip the word or whatever and are always warned.

Would like to hear from management on this stance too. I know Josh was a real stickler about this stuff and he killed threads like these but what do you guys think?
                  teemo, Jan 23, 2017 Last edited by teemo, Jan 23, 2017
                • Apr 26, 2015
                  Some such as Rets and Tony have gave their opinion in the past about it. Here's the last thread on this topic: Suggestion: Lift the racism rule. Theres a lot of good points made in that thread already, and a lot of shitty points.

Really when it comes down to it if we're going to start allowing it, it comes down to leniency and not letting players just use it completely freely. But really, I don't see any real benefit to the server for allowing it anyway.

Do we lose people because of this rule already? Yes, but 9/10 times its because they're warned, kicked, banned and don't have the decency to just accept its a server rule so I don't see any real loss for them if they're not going to follow the rules. I mean, is it really that hard to just not say it. Even Rets comment about how people want to say it in the server, but would they openly use it in public?

Anyway I was going to say something about TS and Mumble and made this and forgot what point I was going to make out of it.

[IMG]
                • Jun 29, 2014
                • Feb 8, 2016
                  There is nothing "funny" about saying the N word in any context.. As soon as the racism rule gets lifted or eased upon then that is when it'll be used and abused. And then people will start trying to "troll" by saying it more.