Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Lights Out!

Discussion in News started by Brian, Nov 18, 2012

Which version are you going to use?

Light 12 vote(s) 16.9%
Dark 59 vote(s) 83.1%
  1. Jun 4, 2006
    This is something I've been working on for the past few months. As with most things it ended up taking much longer than expected. While this isn't 100% done and there are some minor visual kinks that I'll hopefully have ironed out soon, I figured I might as well release it and let everyone use it finally.

If the current site hurts your precious wittle eyes, you can now turn the lights off and ease your retinas.

To do so, scroll down to the bottom of the site and hit the switch. Alternatively this can be set in your preferences.

switch

front_page forums Zombie Mod   Plague Fest NewThreadsPostPlague Fest ZM   Bhopping broken on ZM ZMP   Plague Fest November 2012   Plague Fest
    Full view links to the thumbnails above (clicking the arrow in the overlay will also open the 'full view'):
    1 2 3 4 5 6

Additional Changes / Updates
    • Fixed AJAX Progress indicator preventing any use of the top bar while the indicator is present. Now you can utilize your user drop down or any links on the top bar regardless of the progress indicator appearing on top.
    • Quote Selection has been updated so that you can now use the right click menu for any selected text. Previously if you right clicked on the selected text, the selection would be cleared. This is no longer the case.
    • The rich text editor has been updated to the latest version, and various minor bugs have been fixed.
    • The chat has also been updated. Now includes the following features:
      • Real-time users in chat - The number of users currently viewing the chat is now displayed and updated in real time (both above the chat in sidebar view, and on the side bar in full view).
      • Messages update even if tab is inactive - Previously the chat would not update unless the tab was active, this confused a lot of people. This is no longer the case, messages will be received whether the tab, or even the browser is active or not.
      • Message notifications in tab/window title - If you are viewing the chat via the full view (the chat tab), but the tab isn't active, the title of the tab will flash to grab your attention when a new message is posted.
        • ewlYr
      • Live threads and/or posts - This may or may not stay. Basically anytime someone posts a thread or replies to one that activity is also printed in chat. Whether it stays depends on how much it spams chat, and/or how useful it's deemed.
      • /me command - akin to IRC, you can now use /me
      • Ignore support - Messages from users you've ignored will no longer appear in the chat.
    Also note colors have been disabled via chat due to users being on separate themes now. With this parsing for bold, underline, italic, or strike-through was also disabled. Only URLs and emoticons are parsed. This may change in the future if color parsing becomes separated from the rest of the bbcodes, but for now this is how it's going to be.

Don't think I've forgotten anything important. If you come across any bugs / issues please throw them in this thread (except for the bug where the styling on certain inputs (checkboxes, select drop downs, etc) might not update, or the one where invisible users are shown in the 'members chatting' block for the chat, or the one where the new chat message window title alert causes the title to become a period - both fixed, I'm aware of these).

Thanks to @Kyle for beta testing.
    • Like x 8
    • Winner x 7
    • Wizard! x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Good Idea x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Artistic x 1
      Brian, Nov 18, 2012 Last edited by Brian, Nov 20, 2012
    • Apr 9, 2007
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Jul 14, 2010
        Well done brian, I guessed it had to do with dharkker themes (lol)

Edit: dark theme doesn't appear to be working
        • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Jun 4, 2006
          An oversight! And it's a rather large one. :shame:

Forgot to enable the theme selection for all users. Should be good now.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
          • Mar 12, 2008
            Off-topic, Unrelated. Abuse of forum posting privileges.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Dec 30, 2006
              I like the lights off and on. But I prefer the lights off. Makes the PF experience more kinky. :chicken:
              • Wizard! Wizard! x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • May 27, 2008
                The only sad I've had all week. I will have to live with it. I have, however, found a temporary replacement.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Artistic Artistic x 1
                  Peter, Nov 18, 2012 Last edited by Peter, Nov 18, 2012
                • Jul 8, 2012
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Apr 9, 2007
                    I appreciate the fact that you know more then I do. Can you please explain how a potentially foreshadowing post is Off-Topic, Unrelated, and an abuse of forum posting privileges?
                  • Jul 20, 2010
                    :O Kyle is going to end someone me thinks. I like the option of the lights off and lights on, I'll probably use both for a while and see which one I like after a few weeks.
                    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
                    • Oct 8, 2009
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • May 27, 2008
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Sep 7, 2010
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Winner Winner x 1
                          • Feb 1, 2011
                            SICK! Dark theme owns and I'm def gonna use it. Definitely makes me nostalgic cuz it reminds me more of how the old forums felt, with white text and bright colors on the dark background. Sick job bro, u da man

ps: fukjavascript
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                            • May 12, 2012
                              JOIN THE DARK SIDE YOUNG SKYWALKER!!!!!!!!
                              • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                              • Mar 12, 2008
                                Maybe the snowman was a foreshadowing of winter, which is soon to come. it's awfully cold outside right now. If this is the case, i withdraw my statement and bid you a good day.
                                • Funny Funny x 2
                                • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                                • Mar 16, 2008
                                  • Useful Useful x 1
                                  • Feb 14, 2012
                                  • Apr 1, 2012
                                    dark theme looks pretty ooooooooooooooooooooo
                                    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                                    • Apr 9, 2007
                                      • Funny Funny x 1
                                      • Friendly Friendly x 1