Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Looking at new GPU's

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Zenzr, Mar 2, 2015

1. Jul 8, 2012
    With tax return season coming soon I'm in the market to upgrade my 760 card. I'll post a link later for comparison.

Looking at 970s and 980s. Total budget ideally is less than $600.

Few requirements:

Run 4 screens
    1080p on my main display and 720p on side monitors.
    My set up is 1234 with 1 and 2 being 720p 3 is 1080p and 4 is 720p.

I run 32gb ram with my z87A Mobo
    I5 4670k (I think)
    HAF 922 case.

I think I've read that MSI and Asus are good cards. I love my EVGA card now but apparently the 970s are having issues. I know about the 3.5gb issue too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  2. Jul 8, 2012

uploadfromtaptalk1425347590941

3. Oct 18, 2012
    Fucking people just pullin 600 bucks out of their ass. <3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Joys of tax returns and being a poor college kid. :grin:

• Jul 8, 2012
    • Jan 21, 2011
      Get a 970. Performance gains of the 980 vs the 970 aren't worth the extra $300. You can almost get 2 970's for the price of 1 980. I'm looking at getting 2 ASUS 970s for a build I may do after I get my refund.
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Dec 30, 2006
        It's my main computer + free logicboard replacement till next year.
      • Jan 5, 2014
        Agreed. Since I'm guessing you're only gonna play games on the single 1080p monitor, you won't need the extra horsepower or VRAM from the 980. The 3.5 GB issue matters so little to you, especially since it doesn't seem like you're going for a 1440p/4k/surround setup. I ran Skyrim on 1440p with a crapton of high-res texture packs and it only used around 2.5GB of VRAM.

But, if you're thinking of doing SLI down the line, then you might as well just get the 980 now. A single, powerful GPU is almost ALWAYS better than two lower-tier cards running in SLI/Crossfire due to power consumption, heat, stability, etc. Every since I started running my 780s in SLI, I get a lot more crashes in games, I'm generating a lot more heat, it's louder, and I'm consuming a lot more power. Plus I had to get a new PSU and all that shit.

And even if those problems didn't occur, it's still completely overkill because I don't even have monitors that run fast enough to take advantage of all that horsepower. My 780s are trying to push 300 FPS on CS:S, but my monitor can only output 60 FPS so it doesn't even matter. So, I have to pick either bad screen tearing or horrible input lag from v-sync.

(That being said, running an overkill SLI setup is AWESOME. Once 144hz 4k IPS variable refresh rate monitors come out, I'm gonna bust a nut so hard)
      • Mar 20, 2011

I'm thinking of doing a 980 because although I don't need the extra horsepower now I will down the road since I don't know when I'll be able to upgrade next.

Whatever I get does need to power my 4 monitor set up. Only game on the main one, but I play youtube vids and other tasks on the side like VM's and stuff.

[IMG]
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jan 5, 2014
          Keep in mind that the 970 should already be killer on your current setup. The 980 kicks ass, but in reality, you really won't see any noticeable difference unless you get a really big monitor upgrade (e.g. 1440p 144hz IPS G-Sync). If you're gaming only on one monitor, the other monitors don't really tax the GPU all that much.

I'm with you though. If you're thinking of eventually going dual 970s, then you're better off just getting a single 980.
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Screw you people. I'm making too much money and have no dependant so I get no refund. Just a pad on the back from the government, "Thanks, you broke even buddy".

Last year I got the 780 TI for 700$ and love it. Suggest to get expensive card to last for 4 years. Also you spend way too much on your PC.
        • Jul 8, 2012
          I kind of went the "cheap" route when I built my PC last year getting a 760 instead of a 770 for like $50 more. I regretted it down the road.

I've been reading and it seems games almost always favor a single card over 2 lesser ones. Is that true?

• Jul 8, 2012
          I do. But if I don't spend it on my PC it gets spent on other useless things like pop or candy or something I don't want lol.

• Dec 30, 2006
          There's something called saving money for a rainy day. :razz:
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jul 8, 2012

• Jun 11, 2012
            He's not lying. I'm building a Excel spredsheet for my budget....next to my spredsheet for my Eve online account (I lie, unless you are Corp leader there isn't a sheet).

Also get the 980 for long run if you are burning money.
          • Dec 30, 2006
            Yes, it might be time to upgrade your beetle.