Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Looking for a high-quality beer

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Brett, May 30, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    Not much to be said, if I ever drink, it's for taste. I'm mature enough not to be the drunken asshole at a party. I never drink a lot, just one every once in a while is alright. I'm trying to find a really nice beer that's not some watered down Bud Light shit.

For me, I've found this great beer that's made locally: Dragonmead Final Absolution Belgian Style Trippel. At my store we'd go through cases of this a day.
    [IMG]
    Final Absolution Belgian Style Trippel
    Dragonmead's signature product! This is the ultimate Belgian style. The very high gravity of this beer is balanced by the smoothness of its finish. Banana and Clove aromas come from the Belgian yeast strain combining with the generous dose of Belgian Candi Sugar. The Saaz hops help to give this beer a balanced bitterness with no noticeable hop aroma. O.G. 1.085, ABV 8.5%

I don't mind any other kinds, so if anybody has some suggestions, I'd really like to hear. I'm not some beer aficionado, so some help in finding the right one would be great. :smile:
  2. Feb 1, 2011

AKA: "The Beast"
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Mar 20, 2011
      Go here and check all the time, beers rotate, never had anything disappointing

http://www.beer-shop.org/beer-menu/

I don't drink beer under 5% usually, highest is around 18.5% which was a barley wine brew from Mikkeller.

Some beer I picked up today. Edit: Dropbox suspended my public account for too much traffic. LOL

[IMG]
      Churma, May 30, 2013 Last edited by Churma, May 30, 2013
    • Feb 1, 2011
      Since you can't take a joke, have a Busch! This is true ultra-premium.

[IMG]

It looks so cold. That's how you can tell its good!
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mar 12, 2008
        Widely up to personal taste, but I like the belgian styles I know of, which is Corriander and orange peel brews like HoeGaarden, Blue Moon, Shock Top, and Delerium Tremens. If you're looking into more obscure craft beers, Definetly see what is going on around your town. Local breweries with their craft are 110% better than any old beer you can find on the shelf. My area makes this bitchin' Blonde Ale that I like. I'm also fond of the Magic Hat 9 ale (another local brew), its really smooth. Rogue ale is widely known and has many good quality drinks, some pretty outlandish ideas too (maple bacon donut ale).

If you like IPA: I always recommend Sierra Nevada (If you can get it) or even Arrogant bastard ale. Rogue makes a fine one called "Yellow Snow" and its super strong. Lagunitas makes one too, but it feels like it's lacking that kick that makes an IPA an IPA. I would have to say my favorite IPA comes from a local brewery of mine, it's called Ballast Point and its one of the best i've tried by far.

If you like stout: try looking for oatmeal stout, the flavor on this stout is immense and usually sweet towards the end depending on the brew. I really enjoy these when I can find them, Barney Flats is my favorite so far.

There's many German style beers with much higher ABV that I have not tried, in addition to brews from Hungary and other places so I don't really have tabs on those yet.

All of my self-aquired alcoholic palette comes from:

The Disneyland of Alcohol.
      • Jan 14, 2012
        That's a heavy beer! I'm not really into heavy beers like trippel, but I can recommend some nice lighter beers :wink:

[IMG]
        http://www.halvemaan.be/index.php?id=15

[IMG]

http://www.belgische-bieren.be/bier/kwak

[IMG][IMG][IMG] [IMG][IMG]

For daily use (lol) Heineken, Bavaria, Hertog Jan or Amstel most of the time. Not that much difference in taste. What brand depends on what's on sale, varies every week. In my college town we had the Bavaria Bier Koerier, delivered 1 crate for € 10 (2 crate minimum). Was pretty awesome, getting beer while you've got a hangover really sucks. Average price of beer in The Netherlands is € 10 for 24 x 0.33 L hard glass bottle with crown cork.

So that concludes my mini lecture on Belgian and Dutch beers :wink:

*daily use is 2 beer haha
        Hek, May 30, 2013 Last edited by Hek, May 30, 2013
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I can take a joke, just annoying when it defeats the purpose of the thread and I have to scroll the whole page just to get to a serious answer. :clown:
      • Aug 2, 2010
        I'm more of a fan of the darker beers. There's a GREAT porter that's made locally. I grab a growler whenever I'm in the area. http://www.theram.com/beer.html The one I get is the Total Disorder Porter in case you were wondering. If not, you can go f**k yourself.
      • Nov 29, 2012
      • Mar 30, 2012
        You like belgian products? Finally someone with good taste.

You should definitely try out Leffe blond or Leffe brune (if you like dark), those are both VERY good.
        Leffe blond is my favorite, and trust me, ive had a taste of beer all around the world.

There are a few other good belgian, german and english beers, but i wont go into detail now.
        In the end, its all about personal taste, but im sure youd enjoy Leffe Blond at least.

Give it a try.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        Yea we sell Leffe Blond, so I'll give it a shot some time. Thanks! Although, I'm looking for any type of good beer, not just Belgian.
      • Dec 7, 2012
        I'm not sure about high quality beers but I drink to get fucked up and Heineken does the job!
        [IMG] [IMG]
        My daily buzz of choice is grey goose w/O.J.
      • Mar 30, 2012
        Well, if someone suggests any american beer labels id rather tell you to stay away from those.. Too many "premium" and "light" and whatever buzzwords and yet they taste the same.. Tried plenty when i had a week trip to vegas..
        Meh, just today had a pretty good label at a bar in estonia.. Just cant remember what it was.. God damn it.. Maybe ill pay them another visit just to find out what it was, before leaving.
        (Im on a worktrip here. Lawl)
        • Like Like x 1
          Blue Dragon, May 30, 2013 Last edited by Blue Dragon, May 30, 2013
        • Jan 14, 2012
          Are there any special beer pubs in the states? There are a few special beer pubs with special beer on tap in every major city around here :grin: (although most have some of the darker beers in stock)
        • Dec 6, 2011
          I'm not of age, so technically I cannot buy any beer. It's too bad immature teenagers ruined it for the younger, mature people.
        • Mar 20, 2011
          I would have to drink two cases to get fucked up on red star
        • Mar 25, 2012
          What part of the US are you from? In the Midwest, we have Founders and Bells. Both make a range of types of beers, though I usually lean more towards their stouts. Founders Breakfast Stout and Bells Special Double Cream Stout are both amazing.
        • Jan 14, 2012
          It were some long days and nights, sometimes we even had to pull all-nighters, but you're welcome.
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Yep, we have all of the Founder's and Bell's. I've been looking to try the Oberon Ale, it's been getting some good rep.
          • Apr 9, 2012
            Funny how beer almost always immediatly gets linked to Belgium. I really live in a drunken land trolololol :clown: