Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Looking to make a moving boss

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Who_er, Mar 8, 2013

1. Jan 13, 2013
    I am trying to make a boss that follows targets.

I have look at systems before, but i just can't seem to understand them. Would anyone be willing to explain in depth how they work?
  2. Jan 14, 2013
    I would appreciate this too! I havent the least idea how yuou can even target a player with an entity :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Heh, it's actually not hard at all. But I would be more comfortable with some master mappers to explain it (I suck at explaining). @Luffaren @Kaemon
    • May 31, 2012
      For what I believe, there are two systems; the one that Päss used in Skyrim/Fapescape with a func_breakable to get aimed to (which I've never liked much, because it moves a bit roughly) and the one from Predator/Timesplitters/that MG map by SG Paul TomGreen.

Basically, you have a small block of physics in charge of movement (usually a func_physbox) and you attach 3-4 phys_thrusters to it, going front, left, right and, if you want it/need it, back. Then you add triggers around, which can be described as the 'eyes' of the boss to go to a given direction; that is, for the boss to go front, humans will be inside a big trigger centered in the front of the boss, to go left, inside one with some angles (I tend to use 25º) to the left, and the one in the right is the same but with -25º (or whatever you are using and whatever is + and -, since it depends on how you've built everything in the hammer view).

Just as a reminder too, the front thruster must apply force (to go forward) while the thrusters that rotate the boss should apply torque (in order to rotate) this is done in the flags of the phys_thruster, and you'll probably have to mess with them a bit more (clicking ignore mass, start on/off, etc). It is also a good idea not to have the thrusters active forever, and instead make them deactivate after short timespans. The trigger must enable and disable with the same frequency and, with this, you'll be able to achieve a nice, fluid movement.

Also, for more realism, you can make a boss aim to you (in the fashion that predator does, I believe) by giving one player a targetname and filtering the triggers of movement that turn on the thrusters to only detect that targetname.

Of course, the model, hitbox (if any) and whatnot would be parented to this physbox.

EDIT: As I believe that a simple example things help, this is a good example made by Kaemon:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838155/True_Cyclops_Lair_0002.rar

EDIT 2: Along with the previous explanation I would say that, instead of aimlessly adding a new moving boss that offers nothing new at all (aside from looks, which is basically saying the same thing), you should try something new instead. Also, it's not hard to do as a whole, but it is time consuming and tedious, so if you haven't ever done a (playable and released) bossfight, you shouldn't try this IMO.
      • Informative Informative x 1
        enviolinador, Mar 10, 2013 Last edited by enviolinador, Mar 10, 2013
      • Jan 13, 2013
        So, you are saying, use this as an example, but make my own system. Thinking outside of the box?
      • May 31, 2012
        I'm saying build something that isn't just a model parented to the physbox that hurts/kills on touch and that gets killed when X bullets are shot to it. Something else could be done, for example, the boss might be a tank and you have to block its wheels with X item that spawns in that room and that must be taken near it; maybe the boss could jump instead of 'walk' (by using a set of well balanced thrusters in the Z-coordinate) and be a gigantic ape with red eyes that poops banana bombs.

Just try to avoid the 'prefab' bosses that are starting to spread like gunpowder now.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Apr 9, 2012
          I agree on this, it's becoming kind of unoriginal to use the same boss system over and over again.
        • Mar 20, 2012
          ye, predator style bosses are inflating ze maps atm.... I would like to see some more strategy to defeat a boss than just shooting, it doesnt have to be very complex to be good though.
          I didnt play much the ff12 map , but I saw that u can extinguish the fire attack with the water materia. I thought about something like that too that materias which are used with another materias have new effects.
          Fire and Wind could be a firestorm, but thats 2 much offtopic now and was only an example what i meant...

I wonder if something like this is possible, that u can decrease the "boss moving area" with buttons/weapons, which are destroying the surface around him.

Or u have to kill 2 bosses at the same time which must be killed simultanesouly or they perform something..or a boss(static this one) which is losing parts of his body and that prevents him of the use of some attacks. So u have to focus what is best in which situation.
        • May 31, 2012
          That can be easily achieved and would make a small difference... Thinking still on materias doesn't imo, though...

Yes. Toggleable clips would do. The problem, though, is that if the boss movement isn't really built taking all the posibilities into account, it would probably bug/go full retard.

Sh L... Sh. Please. Sh.
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
          • Jan 14, 2013
            Hmm thrusters! (didnt even know they existed!!)

This reminds me of garrys mod! (esp wire mod). Thanks for the explanation
          • Oct 17, 2011
            That prefab enviolinador gave you only works with one person against the boss. If you try it with More then one person, it will bug. You need to ask people like Luffaren who knows how to make it work with filter_activator_name that targets one person at a time.
          • Jan 14, 2013

I guess I can make light of it and turn the boss model into a spider and call it a day

Attached Files:

• Nov 11, 2011
          • Jan 14, 2013
            Nextquestion, If I have triggers going off like every .03 seconds will this cause the map to lag?
          • May 31, 2012
            No, unless you have a lot of them, and still it shouldn't happen. Lag usually happens with physics/moving things. Anything else just goes fine usually.
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Unless those triggers are moving shit load of props or physics /dynamic props that have dynamic lighting (which you really shouldn't), you shouldn't have any issues.
          • May 14, 2011
            I think I'm going to make a "Boss AI" as my next project. I'll just throw entities at the problem.
          • Jan 14, 2013