Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Looking to renew a server, but...

Discussion in Minecraft started by Taters, Jan 5, 2013

1. Mar 12, 2008
    We didn't have many solid players for it. It was pretty come-and-go for a while, but If the server comes back up, it will be in hardcore mode. As in mobs do more damage, if you die you get banned for XX : XX time, etc... I'm thinking of doing a scoreboard and PvP hit-list/bounty hunt and/or "Player of the Week" if we get enough people.

This is the plugin I'm planning - I don't think there's a more current one, but if there is go ahead and link it here

I also liked the "record house" that had a bunch of signs with personal scores such as "blocks broken" and stuff, So if i can find that plugin that will be on as well.

TnT/fire spread will of course be banned. There will be a safe-area around spawn but after that it would be fair game. Use traps/potions/poisons/whatever but until I can find a plugin to accurately track kills per person I don't think there's a way to do PvP, so it might just be a survival hardcore experience.

If anyone is genuinely interested in this play-style and plan on playing minecraft in the near future with these settings post it here. No point in renewing a server if nobody is interested in it.

Also if it goes back up, rules are the same as pF's global rules (i.e. no hacking, using racial slurs/terms etc), however, know that this is not an official Plaguefest server so admin/perks would not carry over.

Extras - I also noticed there's a parkour mod. Wow.

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/mwparkour2/
    • Like Like x 5
      Taters, Jan 5, 2013 Last edited by Taters, Jan 5, 2013
    • Jan 11, 2012
      Wuuuh I'm totally in. I would also help you If I can
    • May 15, 2011
    • Mar 12, 2008
      The host we were using was relatively cheap and had good uptime. I can pay a month's bill no problem, but if you know anyone interested see what they think. I kinda want to go semi-public with this. I don't want it to be a "now and then" kinda game between our community with an empty server all the time
    • May 5, 2012
      Im kinda interested, havent played minecraft for a while but still..
      :grin:
    • May 14, 2011
      I have minecraft but never really got into it. Maybe this would spark my interest in it.

I would play for a bit at least if this was made.
    • Oct 29, 2010
      I'll certainly play, but I make no promises on my longevity.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I was wondering when the Minecraft server was going back up, but I'm not really into PvP, I'm just a fan of collecting and building. Can I have a plugin that makes me untouchable? =D
      • Apr 9, 2007
        • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
        • Jan 12, 2011
          Sure, I'll hop on periodically and build things, presuming no one specifically wants to hunt me down and take all my stuff. :frownbig:

I can PvP, but I'm more the builder type. I like building community things and helping others, even though in this environment that'll likely end up getting me stabbed in the back. I suppose holing up alone in a spot and taking potshots at others would be an interesting change of pace from my normal routine, though. :zombiekiller:
          • Like Like x 1
          • Aug 18, 2006
            And if dying needs to be even more frustrating...
          • Jan 12, 2011
            It could be worse. By the sound of it, at least we're not doing Ultra Hardcore, in which you don't even regenerate health and instead can only recover it from increased-recipe golden apples or health potions. You can look up videos on Youtube by Kurtjmac, Etho, PauseUnpause, VintageBeef, and many others who have participated in these survival UHC matches. It's really intense, but I don't think that would work here in the long run since people would hollow out the world to get every last scrap of gold, making it impossible to live for long periods on the server after a while. There are probably easier variants out there, but for now let's try out Hardcore first. :cool:

My suggestion on the ban time (if implemented) would be maybe a couple hours tops. We don't want to drive people away from the server due to long wait times, but just give them an opportunity to take a break and rethink their strategy.
          • Oct 29, 2010
            • Jun 3, 2012
            • May 15, 2011
              It is SMP compatible, so I don't see why this couldn't be added to the server if Taters is ok with it. It will definitely add some interesting fun.
            • May 27, 2008
            • Mar 12, 2008

Also I like this. I can definetly see this being added.

This is fair, I can't force anyone to play, which is why I don't want a whitelist. If everyone does eventually lose interest it will still be open to public

Hardcore is supposed to delete the world if you die, this simulates it for the SMP experience without deleting the world.

I plan to make it roughly 5-10 mins tops untill I see just how many people will play. if there's going to be more, the length will increase in increments depending. I want to make the spawn area off-limits for fighting and section off an area for "building" i guess but it has to be within the spawn area limits as cuboid no longer exists(?) and I don't want to go thru the pain of stuff breaking like it did last time, but I want it to be the "home" area you go to after you die. You will be able to set a house here and be given some land to work with. LWC will definetly be added so you could keep your stuff at spawn and/or run back to spawn to heal up and be safe. Any other structures should have piston traps/lava falls and suffocation traps. I scrapped the idea of a "prison" if you die because there's no point, so instead it will be for rule-breakers.

EDIT: With the addition of invisibility potions and all the wonderful poisons you can make/throw at people PvP sounds like a grand idea. It will keep you on guard if you go outside the safe limits. It would make teaming up viable, as healing/regen potions could also be made to be thrown, or shared. Brewing is an important part of PvP.
            • Oct 29, 2010
              Oh man, I was totally thinking like a day minimum, maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.
            • Jan 12, 2011
              Alright, that's a lot better. I wasn't sure how much time you were talking about earlier, so I gave a pretty high estimate. The main thing we should definitely work on is a big 'new player' spawn area with all these details laid out on signs to inform people, so that when they do die and get banned for X time they don't just rage quit the server. Lemme know when you'd want to start work on it and I'll volunteer to help build it.

Do you mean a yard will be fenced off and a sign will be put up with "Open lot - Insert name to claim" or will there be a '/sethome' function (with a cooldown for teleports)? Also, without Cuboid, how large is the spawn area's protected land? I can't imagine it to be very large, so rather than section off some land to each new player, we may need to make the most of Minecraft's vertical real estate and build some apartments. I'll also volunteer to help build this, if you like.
            • Mar 12, 2008
              If we get enough that will eventually be the limit. I'm still poring over bukkit looking at all the little bells and whistles to add. We played vanilla for so long it got kinda played out but it was fun. This will make it more enjoyable.

Apartments are possible. Maybe a money system like we had with the other server, if you have "x" amount then you can "buy" the land, or rent a room/etc. It's up in the air. I want a PvP element to it, but I don't want it being solely PvP. Think designated "town" areas and otherwise it's PvP. I wonder if that's possible?

so many thoughts.

EDIT: Found this for a money system, earn $X.00 per minute of connection. This would work for having a currency to buy gear, and punishes you by not being able to earn money when you die/disconnect.
              Taters, Jan 5, 2013 Last edited by Taters, Jan 5, 2013