Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Lots of problems with water

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by llVeXXll, Aug 5, 2012

1. Jun 18, 2012
    First of all, I have included a link to download a .rar file containing the .bsp and the .vmf for a quick example of the problem I'm having. I have CS GO beta, I used the dev textures but the texture's don't really matter so if you can't see any of them, just replace them with ones you can. Here is the link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tl0hpi

Basically, a map I am working on contains several large tanks full of water, some of them the player can swim in, other's the player cannot access them at all they are just for decoration. My problems are:

1.) As I have applied the nodraw texture to all sides of the water brush apart from the top, when I look into the tank, it lets me see the outside of the level/ through the walls of the tank.

2.) Inaccessible water tanks are viewed from underneath the water's surface (it's an underground aquarium). However the fog and the beneath/ bottommaterial texture are only visible when the player is INSIDE the water brush, I'm not AS bothered about the fog (although it would be cool to have it) as I am bothered about the beneath texture. Whilst it is visible from outside of the water brush, it is glitchy and faint, I really need to get it so that even from outside the volume of water, you can clearly see the beneath water texture when looking up at the water's surface, just like it is when the player is inside the water.

3.) I tried placing lights inside the water brush, as I want underwater lighting, but these lights aren't working at all, how can I get underwater lighting?

4.) Is there any way to get like a water reflection effect happening on all submerged surfaces? I do not want to use an env_projected_texture as I have heard you can only use one of these per map and I have several water volumes. It's a bit hard to explain but kind of like a cheesy wave/ glistening moving pattern on say, the sides and bottom of a pool.

Please note:The accessible water obviously needs to be water, but the inaccessible water does not have to actually be water. I thought of just making a thin brush for the water surface and using a lightmapped vtf instead of a water vmt, I know I won't be able to get the refraction or the fog this way but it's better than nothing. However I am finding it too difficult to make my own. Do I have to animate it myself or does one of the shader parameters do that for me? I'm so confused. I also tried extracting the water texture I wanted to use from the game- it only has a vmt (for obvious reasons) and I tried changing compilewater to 0 but it didn't make a difference.
  2. May 14, 2011
    I'm lost, why cant you just put a block with water on all sides of it inside each tank?

I feel I'm missing something.
  3. Mar 19, 2012
    Thank you very much for your reply. (and Im a her not him XD)

1.) Did not know about this, this is brilliant!
    2.) I am working with a water shader that is currently in the game. When I open the vmt up in notepad ++ at the bottom it says LOD {} and nothing inside. What do I change it to pleae?
    3.) Thanks I got the light working in the end
    4.) Done, thankyou, this works. But I am wondering what "$underwateroverlay" is for, as when i remove this value, i see no difference.
  6. May 15, 2011
    IIRC, it's the overlay that is displayed on your screen. Twas used for Half Life/Half Life 2, but I don't know if it's used in CS:S.
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    lol Glad I was able to help you, her llVeXXll. :arrogant:
  8. Jun 18, 2012
    :smile: but uh oh, putting the water texture on all sides does not stop the nodraw problem i tested it just now
  9. May 15, 2011
    Then you probably have a leak. I presume, anyways. I'll test your map quickly.

Will be testing.

I have a question: Why is your map a box... inside a box? D:

I noticed you saved the map as 'tank test'. NEVER add spaces to a map name. This will break the map, in more ways than one. Name it as tank_test instead.

Don't ever use the 'Make Hollow' tool again. Or you will be smacked. Doing things by hand make take awhile longer, but in the long run, it's DEFINITELY worth it.

I killed your fish. They pissed me off.

Hmm. I dunno, lol. Maybe it's just a glitch right now. Also, it seems the water you were using was for optimization purposes, because switching to a different one heeds different results, but still looks retarded.

funky no clipping deadfish
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
      Dirtbag, Aug 7, 2012 Last edited by Dirtbag, Aug 7, 2012
    • Apr 9, 2012
      Lol CS:GO was really a waste of Valve's time so it seems... The screens look as if they were taken from CS:S with a skin that replaces the damn glock for christ sake... (Sorry for the off-topicness)
    • May 15, 2011
      With proper lighting and texturing, it actually is a lot better. The rain is a lot easier to handle now and the lighting is very fun to play with. I haven't had time to dick around with GoSDK more but I'm sure CS:GO will at least give us a few more things to play with coming the full release.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jun 18, 2012
        HAHAHHAHAHA lmao. Sorry :3 please dont smack me .. <_<

The box is inside a box because I was showing someone else how you could see the skybox texture through the walls of one of the tanks. Ok, I won't ever use the hollow tool again, promise. My real maps are NOT like this.

And yea I realised about the space thingie when building cubemaps and it wouldnt reload the map because it had a space in it.

What did my fish do to you!? XD In the actual map I'm working on, there is an underground aquarium, hence testing the fish.

ANYWAY. I was having so many billion problems with that that I am now trying to create my own water textures out of lightmappedgeneric instead of water shader https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Making_a_wall_of_water so that there is no ACTUAL water involved. Got it working pretty well, it's a translucent, tiling, animated texture, with a bottom material and compilewater, envmap for reflection, the only thing I can't work out are: My bumpmap won't show on the bottom material and: refractions. It seems they won't work on any world brush, so how can I make one? I need a better understanding of refractions and refraction parameters in general.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Apr 9, 2012
          I might agree with you, but if they have spent years adding 'just' better rain, better entities and better lighting (which is still very much behind today's standards) then they did a very bad job. The only thing I can really see improving is new gameplay, that's all. But keep in mind, this is only my opinion :smile:
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jun 18, 2012
            Tbh I never had source so I can't really compare. I can compare it to the unreal development kit as I have experience with that. I would say the lighting is brilliant in cs go sdk, very comprehensive. It is a lot more awkward to get custom content in to the csgo sdk but then again there is a lot of content in there already so it reduces the need for custom content.
            • Agree Agree x 1