Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Resource Low volume sound files (weapons)

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Tom Selleck, Jul 22, 2012

1. Jun 4, 2012
    Would anyone be interested in a full default sound pack at 50% volume for use while playing ZM/ZE?? Well maybe just the most used and annoying weapons like the p90 and a few others.

I brought it up in the server and a few people expressed interest in being able to lower the volume of their weapons without it affecting the ambient volume/mic chat volume. I can't think of any other way to do this other than to create custom, low volume files. I personally find it irritating sometimes sitting in a barricade for 4 minutes listening to non-stop gun-fire; it makes it hard to hear the mic chat sometimes too. I could even put together a do-it-yourself tutorial on how to edit your own files if you have custom skins. Let me know and if there is enough interest i will consider it.

Edit: Here's the low volume sounds I promised, included are: AK, Aug, Deagle, Elite, Famas, 5-7, Glock, M3, M4a1, M249, Mp5, P90, P228, Sg552 and Usp. I packaged them up so all you have to do is extract the whole thing into your cstrike/sounds folder or just pick out the ones you want. If you have any problems, let me know and I'll try to help... :smile:

Edit2: Added Awp and SG550 as per [user]meeko[/user]'s request! Also adding a somewhat confusing and poorly written installation walkthrough!

Edit3: Added Galil and g3sg1 (sg550's retarded cousin) and to pre-empt more requests I added the rest as well, including the Noob Cannon!!! :angel: I didn't get a chance to test this last batch so if there are any problems let me know. If the file is full volume then I messed up one of the settings or forgot to actually lower the volume. If it is playing at half speed (very slow, low toned) then I messed up one of the settings. If there's something else funny going on just post a comment and I'll try to fix it. Cheers!

Installation:To unpack the .rar file you will need WinRar. Find it here: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm. Extract the 'weapons' folder into your 'sound' folder located deep within your Steam folder. To find your steam folder search if you have to (i shouldn't need to explain THAT part! lol). Once located follow this path: Steam/steamapps/[username] (ie. TomSelleck)/counter-strike source/cstrike/sound. If there is no sound folder in your cstrike folder simply create one and name it 'sound' (without quotations). Now extract the weapons folder from the .rar file into the 'sound' folder and that's it! Next time you run counterstrike it will use the lower volume sounds instead of the defaults. If you want the sound turned up again just move the 'weapons' folder somewhere else (desktop, cstrike folder, wherever it's easy to find for future use) and counterstrike will revert to the default sounds. If you have custom skins you can use these sounds instead of the ones that came in your skin pack (did that sound dirty to anyone else??), but be sure to keep a copy of your custom sounds so you can change back if you want to. Did that make sense? Let me know if you need any clarification or if you have any questions.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
      Tom Selleck, Jul 22, 2012 Last edited by Tom Selleck, Jul 24, 2012
    • Mar 12, 2008
      Sounds cool. Some people i've known before have gone as far as using "silenced" weapon sounds from weapon skins as their default sounds.
    • Apr 1, 2012
      you can probably edit them using audacity or sound forge, audacity is free and quite easy to use, though I never used it to make low volume files either...

don't forget to back up incase you changed your mind.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Nov 24, 2011
        Tom i would love files like that.would let me hear other plays better instead of gun fire
        • Like Like x 1
        • Apr 1, 2012
          just so you know, the volume commands in console for gameplay volume, mic volume and music volume are different. in case you don't know about them.

so you can still lower the volume of ambient and gameplay volumes but keep mic volume a bit high.
          • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
          • Jun 4, 2012
            Audacity is what I used to make my own half volume p90 sound. Also, you can't actually delete or replace the original files anyways, steam automatically checks and downloads any missing files when you launch CSS so it's pretty safe to do! :smile:

What are the console commands for changing volume? That sounds WAY easier than editing a bunch of sound clips! You aren't just talking about volume sliders in the audio and voice tabs in the options menu are you?

I'll still make some low volume weapon sounds if people want me to
            Tom Selleck, Jul 22, 2012 Last edited by Tom Selleck, Jul 22, 2012
          • Apr 1, 2012
            gameplay volume (gunfire, in-game radio commands like "Fire in the Hole!"), console command: volume<space><insert a value between 0 to 1>*
            mic chat volume: voice_scale <insert a value between 0 to 1>
            music volume (for maps with music in them): snd_musicvolume <insert a value between 0 to 1>

*indicating the level of volume from 0 (turned off) to 1 (maximum)
            • Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Jun 4, 2012
              Thanks man, I'll go test these now and see if that'll do the trick for me! :smile:

Edit: Ok so the console commands actually just change the volume sliders that you can find under the audio and voice tabs in the options menu. The problem is that lowering the gameplay volume (Console cmd 'volume') lowers the total volume level including voice chat so it's on! I'll get started on making some low volume default sounds for you guys. Any requests? I'm going to start with the smgs and pistols, and the AK.... dunno if i should bother with the m4 cause it has a silencer... if someone wants the m4 or anything else let me know. :smile:
            • Apr 1, 2012
              uhm, try using the "volume" command first and then use the "voice_scale" to set it higher than what you set "volume" command.
            • Jun 4, 2012
              voice is set to max, volume to .01 cant hear people talking while I'm shooting. If I have the gameplay volume low enough that the weapons fire doesn't bother me I can't hear people talking either.

edit: I believe that the way that Valve has the volume control set up is that the gameplay volume is the master that controls voice, shooting and other in game sounds. So you can lower the voice receive volume and keep the gameplay volume up, but you can't lower the gameplay volume and keep the voice volume up.
            • Nov 14, 2010
              Just type this in console.
              "voice_overdrive 5" and the mic volume will overpower all other sounds/music in-game.
              You didn't need to go through all the trouble for making each sound file 50% lower volume.
              *tisk tisk*
              • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
              • Oct 27, 2010
                Another useful command that make hearing people easier:

voice_overdrive # (I use 100, which completely silences all other sounds except people talking on mic)

Edit: Damn it. I would still like lower sound volume files too though, I find the constant gun fire abrasive after a bit.
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Nov 14, 2010
                  The scale for that command is 1 - 10. "100" is unnecessary, lol.
                  Also, Then turn down your game volume.
                • Oct 27, 2010
                  I assure you there is a difference between 10 and 100 with that command.
                • Nov 14, 2010
                  • Winner Winner x 1
                  • Jun 4, 2012
                    Yeah me too... that was really the point more so than being able to hear the chatter. I still like to be able to hear the footsteps, zombie scream, ambient sounds and the rest of it. Listening to multiple m4a1/p90's firing at full auto for 4 minutes makes me want to turn one of those guns on myself!! lol ... anyways all that doesn't matter cause i've alreadyu edited and tested the sound files. I'm going to upload them right now, and you guys can do whtever you want with them. The only real drawback I've noticed is that it makes it slightly harder to locate the humans by listening to them shooting. Otherwise I love it!!

Edit: If you have custom skins with custom sounds and want a tutorial on how to lower the volume for ZM/ZE let me know.
                  • Oct 29, 2010
                  • Jun 4, 2012
                  • Feb 1, 2011
                    This would be awesome and I would totally use the p90 one at the very least. voice_overdrive does not do the trick because guns are still loud as fuck when people aren't talking. I like to have the volume loud enough that I can hear voices well when people are talking, but not get deafened by gunfire when the mic is silent.
                  • Nov 24, 2011
                    Thanks tom these sound files are great i can hear eveyrthing now ^^
                    • Like Like x 1