Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Luffaren's almighty total conversion mapping event!

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Luffaren, Oct 11, 2013

Will you be making yourself a super awesome map?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2013.
Aye aye cap'n! 11 vote(s) 100.0%
And i will be working with someone else! 3 vote(s) 27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Feb 24, 2011
    Alrighty folks. I was thinking that we should get some newly baked, fresh maps on the market. For glory, fun and contributing to the community!
    I'd say that making the maps for Zombie Escape would be recommended, but i shouldn't force it in case you wouldn't want to.

Since this is no contest, the rules are very, very slim. In fact, there's only one rule.
    That rule is: Make all the content by yourself! (or possibly together with team project members)
    Yep, that's all there is. This means that you must make ALL the textures/models/sounds/music/map stuff all by yourself.
    Using custom content made by other people is disallowed. (including .vmf prefabs/copy+pasting)
    Using original HL2/CSS/<other source games> content is disallowed. (including particle textures!)
    All the content must be created by you.
    Need help finding free yet decent programs to make your content?
    Textures - paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/
    Models - Blender http://www.blender.org/
    Sounds - Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net (probably not the best tool to make music with, but perfectly fine for sfx)
    HL2/CSS tool textures is ALLOWED to use! (trigger,invisible,clip,nodraw,hint,skip,etc,etc)

Team projects are allowed, feel free to share content/map together if you have a significant other to breed a map with!

I've been thinking about the deadline for a bit, and decided to go with Valve time (it's done when it's done). Set your own boundaries, plan your size/time yourself. Some people might take extra long with making music while some people are having trouble finishing a model. You don't need to make a 4-staged map with bosses and fully fledged particles
    Feel more than free to post your progress/pictures here as we go!

I've tried to let as many things/rules as loosely as possible, for more freedom and less strict nazi-ness from my end.
    Also, it's not about winning in this event. It's about going all out creative, experimental and independent on a map as a fun/learning experience, while getting it out in the community. Good times, in other words.

Myself? I'm planning on making a pretty small/short map with a few (hopefully) neat events here and there, maybe a boss?
    I'm not intending to push myself too hard, it's more like a smaller side-thing for whenever i get bored/burned out of the secret project (which i'm still working on, worry not).

I have no idea how many people there is that will actually attend to this, there's no prize in it except for the glory which comes with your map. I'm just trying to start a fire, which hopefully gets somewhere in the end!
    Contact your friends and family! Let's make some original and fresh content! Just don't aim way too high, a map takes longer to make than you expect. :wink:

*edit*
    I'm sorry Kyle :frownbig:
    • Like Like x 8
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 4
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
      Luffaren, Oct 11, 2013 Last edited by Luffaren, Oct 12, 2013
    • May 31, 2012
      I'd add Nemesis' VTF plugin for Paint.net for those that don't have it.

Also, doing things.
    • Apr 3, 2013
      ZE is in need of more maps, I could try to wrap one up this year.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Apr 9, 2012

I participate!
        • Like Like x 1
        • Feb 8, 2013
          I will participate with some original maps, but 1 question: About not allowed games, POKEMON AND other TV SERIES is available? (the games textures about the series, ofc)
        • Jun 18, 2012
          I was working on something a while back ... however with the layout being kinda done-ish I found it really hard to start making the console/good light entities/optimization and all the stuff to make a map actually work, since that's probably the thoughest (though probably not even that hard to learn) you might want to put some kind of link for newcomers so they can actually carry on once they get into the more technical side of hammer?Most of the stuff is pretty straight forward and can be accomplished by just 3 clicks but yea ... I bet it feels like looking for a light switch in that dark room where you've never been before.

I might of course be the only one with this problem, but I've seen a lot of WIPs with ''full'' villages and what not, from which you never ever heard of again after that point.
        • Feb 27, 2012
          If i had the patience to make my own textures and to learn how to model, i'd be down, but unfortunately, i cannot attend in it. Good luck to everybody else, though! :grin:
        • Jun 19, 2013
          Seems like there are way more maps added to the rotation for ZE than ZM. Everytime I look in the map suggestion thread, it is usually ZE maps being added. I'd say ZM is in more need of new maps than ZE.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Feb 24, 2011
            This event is pretty much all about making all the content by yourself, so basing the map theme/content on an already existing game/TV series is kinda defeating the purpose, IMO.
            I kinda suggest that you make something original by yourself, but i'm not going to force you to do anything you don't want to.
          • Dec 6, 2011

Penis textures and fart noises everywhere. +1 Luff great idea indeed!
          • Jun 11, 2012

I will finance the winning with massive amount coupons. Seriously, do something fun and inspire yourself. I am not kidding when I say I will finance this with free games and steam coupons. The details will be posted at a later date when I don't feel like breaking a biscotti in half and punching it to death.
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Might want to include "No porting content from other Source based games" to the list.
            Post Merged, Oct 11, 2013
            Shadow Warrior.
          • Jun 11, 2012
            Jebus they won't stop. But others too since I got 10 thrown at me on a single day.
          • Feb 11, 2012
            It's always nice to see new maps come to the server.
            Didn't we do something like this in the past? From what I remember it was an awesome time, a bunch of new maps came in a short time and I'm hoping that's what will happen here. I hope.

Good idea Luffaren!
          • Jul 20, 2012
          • Apr 9, 2012
            Since this is a contest with 100% custom content, I believe I as well will go for a smaller map this time, something easily achieveable on a relativly short time (which should be considered longer than you would be able to do with stock content though) so that also the BSP doesn't become hundreds of thousands of millions of billions of google's Megabytes.

Count me in, I'll work on it as much as I can. No I will not release my cathedral for it.

@Luffaren could you please also add a rule that participants should not use already started or nearly finished projects? This has happened quite a few times in the past on GB and those maps have almost always been discarded from the contest as being illegal which is a POV I entirely understand. I know it's not a 100% serious contest, but despite that it's still something I hold onto, don't get me wrong plz :smile:
          • Apr 9, 2007
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Feb 3, 2012

[IMG]
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Feb 24, 2011
                I've made around 60 textures so far (with most of them being at 32x32 / 64x64 pixels only, so please don't expect much from me on that end) and one animated model for the spawn.
                I still have no idea what i want to do with this map yet, so i'll just make whatever comes up in my mind.
                Here's the spawn so far, you start on a extremely low-res piece of toast about to get eaten by this nice fellow..

woogabooga

You'll have to enter the mouth to proceed through the map, but watch out! He'll bite every now and then, so you gotta be careful. :wink:
                As i mentioned in the OP, feel free to post your work and progression in here as well. I'm pretty eager to see what you've been creating.
                • Funny Funny x 3
                • Artistic Artistic x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • May 31, 2012
                  From Hammer... I've done a few textures, very few, because I plan on doing something something with them on the map, we'll see... The spiral thing should probably be on the 3dsky, but that's for later.
                  • Artistic Artistic x 2