Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Luffaren's maps

Discussion in Mapper Portfolios started by Luffaren, Jan 31, 2012

1. May 31, 2012

Anyway, back on Luff's topic, I'm wondering if those fires on the last screen are one entity each or some kind of fancy trickiddy trick like the AddOutput origin XYZ thing. It seems it'll be entity heavy on that part if there's no magical entity-optimization.
  2. Feb 24, 2011
    These fires are indeed spawned by a fancy trickiddy method, used in minas as well. Hell, they even kill themselves after X amount of time to keep things as cheap as possible. I can spawn them wherever i want, whenever i want, although to keep things more dynamic i've made those fires spawn at certain entities when they are exposed to different elements. You could use a "fire-based" item to start a wildfire as an example. I'll trust josh to prevent that though.

I also forgot to explain further about the traps.
    If you look closely enough you can see a trap within the pictures, that is one trap out of... 15?
    Some of them are kinda obvious and could be referred to an "environmental hazard", you should still keep an eye on them. Different chain effects could trigger them, depending on how the actual trap works of course. I intent to spawn these traps somewhat rarely and randomized, so people wont expect to see X trap at that location.

And yes, all the props/spawned items are home made, Luffy-style.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Mar 12, 2008
      • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
      • Feb 14, 2012
        This is really great but how in the 7th layer of hell are you going to keep the lag down? Also what would be the effects of this on a larger server like Plaguefest? Hopefully there isn't a bunch of glitches like we see in some of Hannible's maps (Minas).
      • Feb 24, 2011
        Allow me to work some mapping magic on that one, i've come across multiple workarounds/improvements over the last weeks where i can improve the systems WHILE removing any unnecessary entities.
        My goal is to make it as big and epic as possible, while keeping a fun and challenging gameplay in account. Which might be quite difficult, i expect a fair share of fix versions with balancing tweaks and such, so don't expect the alpha/beta to be free of issues (this could be said for any map in general, testing is necessary)

I suppose you mean the physics glitch when referring to minas? I am using physics in the map, but it shouldn't be too much of it (probably causing it to happen). If that were the case, i'd have to remove multiple systems from the map, which would make me a very, very sad Luffare. :frown:
      • Feb 14, 2012
        I really hope it works out. Will you share it with other map creators after you've "stabilized" the method so others can take advantage of this awesome eye candy?
      • Feb 24, 2011
        It's not really a specific "method" i'm going by. I pretty much use all the smaller tricks i can find/accomplish to overcome the engine limits. Making a huge map while having it filled with juicy stuff.
        Things might go wrong if i don't stay careful enough though, gotta take it easy and do things as i like.

Damn, mapping is sweet when you can do whatever want!
      • Feb 14, 2012
        Always pushing the entity limit. :evilgrin: You're my hero.
      • Oct 29, 2010
        On a very serious note: PLEASE draw some inspiration from this classic single-player adventure:

[IMG]
        If Predator was a single-player map, I PROBABLY would not have found a difference between Pred and one of the earlier levels in Unreal.

It's always been my inner-CSS-nerdish dream to be the creator of maps, not the conqueror of them. Unreal would provide a solid inspiration to some potential creations. . .

EDIT 9:04 PM PST: Is it possible to create random weather/climate for each new round. . .in which each weather will have major implications on the fameplay of the players?

EDIT 9:07 pm PST: I do possess a copy of Unreal Gold. I am quite possibly (not sure yet) willing to gift you the game if that is what it takes. . .

FINAL EDIT 9:11 PM PST: There are many spectating kings in ZE. Maybe. . .conjure dedicated spectator rooms? (A la admin rooms, but with lots of engaging/entertaining pics, texts, memes, GIF's, etc. . .)
        meeko, Sep 10, 2012 Last edited by meeko, Sep 10, 2012
      • Jun 15, 2012
        get to work then u lazy ass ;p. also VERY NICE LUFFAREN
      • Oct 29, 2010
      • May 15, 2011
      • Feb 24, 2011
        I'd say that it would require about 8-10 global entities, as for spawning around 20-30 when the weather effect occurs.
        It's all about keeping the global entities as low as possible, so you can spawn as much as possible for each round. Some systems i'm spawning will pretty much kill themselves instantly so it's a balance between spawning rate and the amount of entities being spawned for each system. No worries.

I'm planning to have as much randomized elements as possible, including weather.
        But for some events i still want to force different things/states, for maximum effect.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Some maps look like they have hundreds of entities and you might think wtf how is that possible without lagg?

Well Paper is an example, where he kills all entities that appear in the unused levels. In theory you just play with the entities that are used in the level that would be selected. Easycake
        • May 31, 2012
          If I can be sincere, paper's optimization is a piece of crap. I should have used more templates and less entity killing; not that it's terribad, but it could have been done better.
        • Sep 13, 2012

Attached Files:

• Feb 24, 2011
        • Apr 9, 2012
        • Feb 24, 2011
          I'm still at stage 2 out of 10-15, so you might be thinking "But Luff! You hairy, sexy beast. Is this map ever going to get released at this pace?"
          My answer to that (probably exaggerated) question is, sooner than you might expect.
          I haven't really been focusing on the stage itself, but instead lots and lots of systems, items, characters, effects, traps, props and anything that you might think and more. Preparing the entire map ahead. Where each piece I've created isn't that much, but combined along with other pieces will build the entire map in a dynamic, randomized and unique way.
          Of all this time I've been working on the map, around 80% of it has gotten into everything i just wrote. It's gotten to the point where i sometimes forget what things i have created and how you use them, but it should be alright for the most part.

Now, as this is all done i can finally return to creating the actual stages with layout, events and most likely a unique boss at the end. I expect the stage creation to go somewhat fast, where i'll use all my prepared systems and items and pretty much adjust the strings here and there.
          I can change the color of the sky to any color i want, same goes for the clouds and rain at that. I can spawn a forest fire with a snap of my finger. I can summon meteors to rain down at everyone. The opportunities goes on and on.

So coming down to it all roughly from the top of my head, I've created:

* 4 human characters, with unique abilities and attacks (they can also use secondary items which are held by pistol)
          * 2 zombie characters
          * ~20 human items/weapons (lots of effects and variation)
          * ~6 zombie items/weapons
          * ~18 different traps, which can be triggered by some things/other elements/traps (they can also hurt bosses/npc's)
          * ~18 different props/environmental features, like dynamic trees, shacks which you can either light on fire or blow up. Fallen trees might or might not obstruct the path for the players depending on how they fall.
          They might even fall on a player and hurt/trap him until it's fully faded away, it's all dynamic here babydoll.
          * A whole heap of particles, custom textures, custom models + animations and sounds.
          * An uncountable amount of systems and functions which you might never even see ingame. I've taken my time in creating, perfecting and optimizing them to be as functional and cheap as possible.
          Please trust me on that one. As an example i've made a dynamic hold timer which will open up the path after X amount of time, faster or longer depending on what's happening in the map and what you do.

Etc, etc, etc... I could keep rambling up a whole lot more, but i should really get into the mapping instead of typing it all out here.
          As a finisher, i'll leave you all with this picture:

testytest

A rainy night, in the middle of the forest with thick, surrounding fog, you see a light bestow upon you. What could it be?

Not too much to show for, just teasing you with a pretty interesting item which might turn out really useful during heavy situations.
          Anyhow, i'll get right into implementing all of these new systems into all the previous stages as for replacing all the old ones/cleaning up all the junk.
          Then it's all about plain grunt-work and dedication to create one of the biggest, juiciest ZE map out there. That's my goal of it all pretty much.

Sorry for the huge amount of text, i'll be heading off for now. Don't get the idea of this dying out!
          Have a good one!
          • Mapping King Mapping King x 8
          • Like Like x 2
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Looks like a boss! I see one hand and two feet! :inlove:
            • Winner Winner x 1