Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Luffaren's maps

Discussion in Mapper Portfolios started by Luffaren, Jan 31, 2012

1. May 14, 2011

However, holy shit that fog/rain looks good.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jan 11, 2011
      Your comment remembers me of those you can read every time a new Dota 2 Hero Artwork is released along with the hero implementation... Everyone sees things that don't exist in there. XD

Can I play the guessing game? Or is it unfair that I do so? :vampire:

BTW, you forgot to mention on that list the NPCs... Wich are easily one of my favorite things, specially the one... You know... It follows you...
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I know quite a bit about this SP map. Don't hate. Me and Luffy are boyz :heart: But no, that definitely was not a boss lol. :razz:
      • Feb 24, 2011
        Holy hell, it actually looks like a volcano when you think of it.
        Sorry to disappoint you by saying that it's not though. It's a human item with a pretty special function, you'll see later on.
        Anyhow, thanks for your comment. Everything seen in that picture is all dynamically spawned and adjusted to set this kind of mood. It was a prime example of what i can do by just pointing at something and just spawn things.

Oh yes, it's a very special NPC which i expect everyone to fear and respect. You better stay back >:smile:
        Thanks for showing/helping out with the system at that. I also fixed the rain looking brighter from one side than the other, simple lighting origin fix.

Sure thing, why not.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Nov 11, 2011
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Jun 18, 2012
          • Feb 24, 2011
            Just got some inspiration, not sure if i could pull it off though. Thanks.
            This map shall provide a challenge fit for gods!
            • Like Like x 1
            • Jun 18, 2012
              Where can I sign up to destruct the others. >:O
            • Feb 24, 2011
              Good news for everyone interested! I'm fully finished with stage 1 and 2, including ALL the events, effects and systems. Works like a charm!
              After recently finishing stage 2 i went back to polish/improve some things in stage 1 where i went from 17 entities down to 5, as for also improving and expanding the stage events at the same time. It might not sound too big of a deal, although when creating huge and entity-heavy maps like this every little bit counts. Low power, high efficiency. Just like they show in those hybrid car commercials! :wink:

I have now begun on stage 3, as it is one of my most anticipated stages yet. I'll have a whole lot of fun creating everything that is going to happen in it. And now when the entire "base" of the map is finished i can go all nuts. I'm expecting this stage to fly by pretty fast compared to the previous stages, things are looking bright. You could say that I've gotten off the dirt road, out towards the highway where things will go a whole lot faster.
              Sorry for the bump at that, i hope this read was somewhat worth it. I'm off finishing this, have a pleasant evening folks!

TL;DR: Things are going well. :chic:
              • Like Like x 9
              • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
              • May 14, 2011
                Stage 1 is either very small or you are god.

I assume its the latter.
              • Feb 24, 2011
                Hey there fellow folks and ladyfriends! Just a quick update for those interested if you don't mind.
                Stage 3 is progressing quite well. I got the entire layout ready which is almost fully detailed now. There's still some things i need to finish which includes:

- adding music
                - adding lights
                - make/prepare all the materials/models/sounds which i might need for the boss(es)
                - make all of the events/holds

Doesn't seem like that much, but some of these things might take longer than expected. Although it'll surely be done a whole lot faster than the previous stages.
                I'll leave you all a reference picture in hammer, kinda teasing it in and showing how big the stage is.
                Back to work, i still have 12 stages to finish after this one. :wink:

stage_3
                • Like Like x 2
                • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                • May 31, 2012
                  I like how the grid looks, feels like it's going to be huge, however, gotta ask about the displacements shown in the pic... don't they look a bit off?
                • Jan 13, 2013

Nice touch there!
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • May 14, 2011
                    Waiting for the day luff forgets to hide the file name.
                  • Feb 24, 2011
                    You are correct indeed. I don't believe that all displacements must be correctly sewed with eachother, i tend to split the displacements up in certain "groups" where i cross over/hide the openings within eachother. It might not seem that professional when you hear it like this, but i'm taking pre-caution with everything i do. I do this in order to keep the displacements as low as possible in order to cheap things up. I need displacements for the entire map so i'm being careful with going over the limit.

It's all for the better, hopefully. :wink:

I'm sorry to say that this day will probably never come.
                    My paranoia is overwhelming when it comes to this, i usually quadruple-check before uploading pictures like these. :sweat:
                    • Funny Funny x 2
                    • May 5, 2012
                      dont, its not nice.
                    • Dec 6, 2011
                      @Luffaren what OS are you running? Or is that just styled like that for the lawls?
                    • Jun 11, 2012
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • May 31, 2012
                        I do the same, but I was refering to the stretched textures... I guess you will do the polishing when everything works, but it kinda surprised me that you kept it like that.

I have it like that too. It's a common thing, I believe.
                      • Dec 6, 2011
                        I sure hope so. If he's using Win98 with like 512MB of RAM and a slow as shit processor, I'm going to be quite pissed. All of his maps would be released 500% faster with an up to date computer.

Oh? So a resources reason then? Better speed concentrated on Hammer?