Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Luffaren's maps

Discussion in Mapper Portfolios started by Luffaren, Jan 31, 2012

1. Feb 24, 2011
    Sorry for misunderstanding what you referred to at first, the stretched texture you see in this picture is a result of me trying to have as few necessary displacements as possible (which seemingly has its own tolls)
    But worry not! I'll just hide it by covering it up with a normal brush/static prop.

Maybe not the most professional solution, but it'll do just fine for me considering that i need to save resources. :struggle:
  2. Feb 24, 2011
    Making my own boss models is taking longer than expected, especially as i need to make my own skin textures in some cases. The layout, paths and detailing is all done for stage 3, all i need to do now is adding all the holds/events, boss models/sounds and music. It's been a while since i worked on the map at that, mostly due to school/IRL-stuff. Worry not though, i'm intending to finish it with all my might!

I just wanted to chip in with a smaller update, and why not add a quick picture in there while i'm at it? :angel:
    This picture includes the vast skybox, as for the weather system showing off a golden sunrise, and dear bloody lord of science and hellfire... those color outputs was pure hell to type in, if i remember correctly it was around 800 output parameters that needed to get typed in correctly, all in order to give a somewhat smooth transition (it still looks pretty choppy though).
    That's enough of that, have a good evening folks!

level3
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      Your vmf file must be getting rather big at this rate. :shock:
    • Jan 11, 2011
      You keep slacking this way, and we may do a double-release on 2015 :smile:
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
      • Feb 24, 2011

I just finished setting up the entire stage system for all stages/difficulties.
        Each logic_case entity includes information on how i'll spawn/use the pre-made entities in-game for each stage. I can also change certain behaviors and global states with this, adding the possibility of being able to add lots and lots of various events and effects gameplay-wise. It might take time to set up each and every single one of them, but hell. It'll be worth it in the end!
        • Mapping King Mapping King x 8
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
        • May 14, 2011
        • Oct 4, 2012
        • May 31, 2012

It looks good Luff, but it seems a bit too much to me... Have you taken into account the uptime (being pessimistic, at least a bit) that would be needed to completely do it?
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            That's cool, but a bit over the top. This was the only way to accomplish this? What about point_templates?
          • Feb 24, 2011
            For a perfect clean playthrough of everything with no fails - ~6 minutes for each stage * 64 stages = 384 minutes = ~ 6 and a half hours
            It is indeed a whole lot of time needed to complete it, i'm not worrying too much though since the current stage will stay saved over the map cycle. The only thing that would reset this is:

* Manual restart (by going into the admin room and setting the stage/difficulty)
            * Winning the map
            * server crash (seeing as pF has gotten a whole lot stabler compared to past events, i'm not worrying too much. If it were to crash though, there's always the ability of changing it back)

I might be misunderstanding the question. But i found this way of doing it pretty alright.
            This allows me to completely ignore adding triggers, relays, cases, sounds and effects for each and every hold. I can instead have only one trigger throughout the whole map triggering all of the holds/whatnot. Just changing the location based on the active stage/logic_case itself. Hell, i can even change the location of the entire hold itself, maybe ignore it, or even have a huge fire-breathing monster come by, killing everyone who tries to rush (making it into a hold itself)

Instead of having pre-defined templates of everything for each stage, this simply allows me to do things as i wish for each difficulty, while saving lots and lots of entities in the long run.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • May 31, 2012
              I'm sorry Luff, but I don't think this is a realistic estimation. You're considering a best-case scenario, when in fact normally it'd be at least a 50% win/lose ratio. Given this, you'd have to multiply by two, and those 13 hours would, considering it is extended every time it is played at maximum, have breaks in between of about 3-4 hours (and this might be too optimistic, assuming 30 mins * 10 maps, but I count a few rtv'd maps in that). The uptime in a 50% win estimation would be, at least, of 3-4 days, pretty extending all possible times at maximum and voting as soon as it can be voted... Not that I want to discourage you, but... it seems too much?
            • Mar 20, 2012
              * Manual restart (by going into the admin room and setting the stage/difficulty)

problem solved, luff is lvl 3

luff could do what u did with paper ...add more extends
            • Feb 24, 2011
              And here we are again, a few steps further towards release.
              I have now fully finished stage 4 which should cover up a few things i wanted to include in the map. The actual stage itself is pretty short with a smaller number of unique features compared to other stages, but it'll come off as decent i hope. Just don't get your hopes up too much. :razz:

Here's a couple of screenies for you:

secretproject_1

Don't like rain? Cry me a river!

secretproject_2

Every round will be slightly different, even if the differences themselves are small.
              Sometimes a tree spawns here, sometimes not, maybe a rock? Same goes with items, traps, npc's etc. As they might also spawn in a randomized rotation angle.
              It can also be randomized if it will be random or not. Now that's random!

In any case i'll be heading on with stage 5 now. This is a stage i've really looked forward to create, it'll surely have a few features/events that'll stick out of the ordinary map.
              See you all until then!
              • Mapping King x 10
              • Wizard! x 2
              • Like x 1
              • Zing! x 1
              • Artistic x 1
              • Feb 3, 2012
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  I must say that that river looks pretty awsome! No intentions using refarction perhaps? You can always use a drawback command for slower PC's!
                • Jun 11, 2012
                  Holy balls that looks amazing Luff. I love the rain more then the sun so it's awesome. Super duper gruper job
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Nov 11, 2011
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • Feb 24, 2011
                      Well, last night i sat down working my bum bum off for multiple hours typing in raw inputs/outputs without any testing or distractions. And boy did it pay off! (with the price of a burnt out brain and mood)
                      Stage 5 is now fully done after todays final testing/polishing along with Kaemon! I'm 1/3 of 1/4 done with the fully finished/polished/final version. (1/3 done for the first release, worry not)
                      It sure feels nice to have gotten this far, although i still got a long way to go.

On top of that, allow me to clarify the state of upcoming business:
                      With a map as big as i'm intending to make it i'll have to cut down on everything i can muster. With the current map size of 5 stages (around the same size as minas, more or less) i'm starting to become unsure on how close i am to hitting the limits in terms of visleaves, props, entities, brushes etc. Imagine it as a submarine starting to sink below the maximum depth, as the hull is creaking and small bursts of water is starting to leak in.
                      What i want said with all of this is please do not hype over this map, you might end up feeling disappointed which is the last thing i would want. :sweat:
                      So whenever you think of the map, think of Duke Nukem Forever and how that went!

Also, due to the general cutting back and the need to be careful i'll skip several stages and start working on the final ones (somewhere above 10-13+) where i'll later on go back and sew together the fill areas.
                      I pray to the lords of cheesus jebus that things will go accordingly to plan, but you can never know what might happen.
                      And with this smaller update, i bid you a good evening.
                      Have a good one!
                      • Mapping King Mapping King x 3
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Winner Winner x 1
                      • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
                      • Jan 11, 2011
                        Fun Fact: He made a really cool and short video of a particular event that looks really cool; but he doesn't want to show it because he wants to surprise you guys when the map gets released... I will admit, that going there without having a clue of what can happen, must be really impresive the first time, but the question is: Why did he make the video at all if the only person that he is willing to show it can already see the event when we test the map? XD

The weird thing about his map is that some things/events/ideas look really really cool and epic (like the one in the video) and others, because extreme optimization and/or poor taste choices (fuck your colorful particles), look awful. XD
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Oct 6, 2012
                          • Informative Informative x 1