Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Major server optimisations

Discussion in News started by Cam, Jun 18, 2007

1. Posts
    As you may have noticed, the server doesn't lag nearly as much anymore. I did several tweaks to it making the performance a lot better. This includes, but is not limited to disabling turbophysics and tweaking the process priorities. However, this came at a small price. What is this 'turbophysics" I speak of? It's merely a server variable that makes the server do extra processing on dynamic props, in other words: barricades. What does this mean? You can no longer stand on top of props, as you'll just slide right off. What's this mean for the zombies? This means that zombies can no longer use the use key to move these props, so put those knives to some use!

One thing thats being currently discussed is increasing the number of server slots to 50, but this will only be done if the server can still maintain a lag-free environment.

Stay tuned for more updates, specifically speaking, announcing PlagueFest v2.0!
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    Nice to hear about the lag getting fixed but sad to hear that we cannot use the (generic) E key anymore to move baricades when we are zombies or even when humans to slightly move oobjects forward.
  3. Posts
    I can probably figure something out so zombies can move objects with E again.
  4. May 15, 2007
    It seems to make it so zombies can keep jumping into barricades to phase through them. Zombies shouldn't be able to do what ghosts can.
  5. Feb 21, 2007
    when were these optimizations put in place?

I was on the server from about 3-6 today, and it seemed to be lagging more than usual. It wasn't the usual occasional lag spike, it was more a constant lag

But hopefull this will fix whatever was causing that :razz:

keep up the good work!!! thanks
  6. Jan 5, 2007
    I'm already able to pass through barricades anyways. Then again, I'm a ninja.[IMG]
  7. Posts
    zmaztec ?

You want zm_aztec?
  8. Jan 5, 2007
    lol Sauce. I saw that too, but I didn't want to say anything.
  9. Apr 28, 2007
    hahaha...shameless self promo for Stabby's map.
  10. Feb 1, 2007

One problem.

40 players the other night meant A LOT of lag.
  11. Posts
    TurboPhysIXKKKkKKKKxKKKKXkKkXKXkxkkkKXkXKKXKxKKxkxxkKXKXKXKXkX

props fell through the floor, cool
  12. Jun 20, 2007
    Yea, when there are a lot of players on, it lags a bit.

thats why i like to come on in the mornings. Its pleasant :smile:
  13. Apr 9, 2007
    i noticed that westside_cali has not changed though lag wise, Which makes me wonder if theres another factor thats making the server lag out.
  14. Apr 28, 2007
    I think the server optimizations were nixed...server is back at usual.
  15. Apr 9, 2007
    im starting to see some pockets of non lag now which im finding weird because now its intermittent im starting to think its not the Cpu but with my original assumption the internet connection (But In the end who am I to judge its all free :lol: )
  16. Feb 21, 2007
    yes they were. Cam implemented the fixes, but then all the objects became almost impossible to move, and zombies lost their "E" use function. So he reversed the fixes for the time being. this is as far as i know....unless he later did something when i wasn't on
  17. Dec 30, 2006
    Well the server is almost at 42 players all the time now.
  18. Apr 28, 2007
    Summertime + 12 year olds = VIDEO GAME FRENZY
  19. Dec 30, 2006
  20. Apr 9, 2007
    would say more like 10 yearolds but w/e i thought i was the only one noticing this disturbing trend ;D