Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Making a Video/Trailer Showcasing Zombie Escape: Possible Contest? (Idea Discussion)

Discussion in Setup an Event started by Brett, Dec 11, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    A few weeks ago, I showed a few people that were interested in gaming, the Zombie Escape mod. The reactions I got from it were: "wow, I've never even heard of this before" along with "why haven't I ever played this?". Even though these people knew the notoriously popular PC FPS games CS:S and CS:GO, they had no clue what Zombie Mod was, or how fun it could be. It got me thinking, "we need a way to tell more people about this, and advertise such an awesome mod."

After discussing the basics with @Luffaren, @Kim, @enviolinador, @Cuniczek and @JorisCeoen in a group chat earlier today, I thought we could share the idea with everybody else to have their opinions heard.

The Idea:
    • Produce possibly multiple extended trailers (2-3min long), showcasing what Zombie Mod is. This is NOT a specific community advertisement, so anybody would be able to join in, pF specific or not.
    • Include a variety of maps to show how much creativity is in the game and how the mod is community run with player-made maps.
    • Explain what the mod is through answering crucial questions over a single (or multiple) video(s). Such questions like: "What is ZM/ZE?" "What can you do in ZM/ZE?" "What types of maps are there?" Etc.

The Plan: Although it's just a general idea, I was thinking we could put a lot of time into this, as a small group for multiple videos, or as a whole (the entire ZM/ZE community) to create one great big video. I would be willing to host a (very rewarding) contest to get people motivated to participate by doing anything from just creating clips/capturing great moments through demo'ing, or using their l33t Sony Vegas/other movie maker type software to put together an awesome video.

The Release: Advertising/introducing people to a game is crucial in terms of time. I'm not exactly sure when it'd be a good idea to "announce" it or "release" it, but maybe something near summer? We could choose a single day, that way it'd become more viral than everybody trying all separate times. Maybe, maybe not.

Feel free to add your ideas to the discussion. I want to make this big, we can really bring in some attention if we put a large enough amount of work into this. Don't be shy, this thread is open to anything!
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 4
    • Feb 11, 2012
      Something like this could potentially bring a huge amount of new players to PlagueFest.
    • Apr 1, 2012
      I demand a fail montage of players failing over and over and over again in UT or taboo
    • Oct 29, 2010
      • Feb 1, 2011
        Cool idea. There are already a lot of ZE gameplay videos though. If you could find somebody thats good at Sony Vegas or whatever to make a professional-looking "trailer" for CS:S zombie gametypes, that'd be tight as hell. I remember Tony Montana was pretty damn good at video editing, but I dunno if he's still around or would have any interest in doing something like this.

Are you trying to promote the gametype as a whole or pF servers specifically?
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I just wanted a good example to draw more people towards this game mod. I didn't realize how many people actually enjoy it and don't even know about it. I figured we could choose a specific day and release a "trailer" that we put months of work into all over Reddit, Imgur, Youtube, etc. and make it go viral.
      • Apr 3, 2013
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I'm in the process of learning to edit better with vegas (what I have right now personally) and I have access to some pretty legit editing suites on campus. I could see what I can do lol.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        This is a start, but as Enviolinador said, this is just showing very few "epic" moments that don't actually show what zombie escape is about. There's only 3 different maps being showed, when we should have more. Although it's a decent start, we need to focus on the entirety of ZE. Show what it's like when a great team is defending, what goes on at nighttime with people like Afamad on the mic, or what it's like to be a zombie chasing after those guys in the back of the pack. We need complete immersion, so people will be like "Wow!" when they actually go to play it because the trailer doesn't just show you the "epic" moments.
      • Apr 3, 2013
        Dude, i think every new player would shit their pants when they see a predator or bahamut crashing down the ceiling.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        Exactly, snippets of the boss battle, and what it's like to have him come running after you. We don't need to just have people running in a straight line, but we need a variety in the video, not just Mako over and over.
      • Oct 29, 2010
        That's pretty much what happens when I play CSS in the office.

"Meeko what game you plan WTF IS THAT WHY IS THAT [BAHAMUT] IN COUNTER STRIKE LOL WTF"

"Meeko what you plan WHY ARE THERE ZOMBIES WHY YOU HOLDING A FISH LOL WTF 60 PLAYERS ARE WITH U"

"Meeko I need to ask a question about MEEKO WHAT U PLAYING U HELI GOOD WTF"
      • Dec 6, 2011
        That's exactly what I'm talking aboot. We can answer these questions very fluidly throughout the video. "64 players, all human" etc. can pop up on the screen when showing the scoreboard. "over 100 all community-made maps based on different games" etc.
      • Apr 3, 2013
        But yeah, if i have time, i could probably edit clips of zombie escape.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Time to start playing ZE more lol. And to figure out some good recording software.
      • Feb 27, 2012
        Well, i'm absolutely terrible at using video editing software, but i'd be able to provide demos for anyone else. Not looking for anything in the prize (whatever it is) or anything, just wanna help out whoever :grin:

I could get a lot of ZM footage, since i play a lot of ZM huehue... I'll record some of our most popular maps, most unique, and best looking, as well as people using teamwork (which isn't very often in ZM, trust me)
      • Jul 8, 2012
        If you could get me (or anyone that's better than me lol) footage I can see what I can come up with. I have 3tb external storage so I have space. :razz:
      • Feb 27, 2012
        Would you like the .dem files, or compressed .avi files? .dem would probably be better since you could open up the demo, disable your hud, crosshair, etc and record it like that, as well as have much better graphics settings than i do lol.
      • Oct 29, 2010

Many times, friends/colleagues have asked me what game I was playing when they see me play while waiting for shit. Most of the time, replying just "CSS" isn't enough--I find myself attempting to explain what zombie mod/zombie escape is, because, well, you don't really associate zombies with a household name game like Counter Strike.

I find it even trickier to fluidly describe the map I'm playing ("whats that big red thing ur shooting at meeko?"/"lol wtf a penis gun")

It'd be nice to have a video.

If COD was labeled mainstream, ZE/ZM would be extra hipster then.