Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Making map changes random

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by chase59, May 30, 2011

1. Feb 24, 2011
    Soooo..... in my opinion I think the only solution to keep maps from being overplayed is to make the map change random. By doing this we will get all the maps in rotation and have all the maps played. We won't play the same 4 maps one after another. I think that we should take away nominate completely and also not have a map vote so that a map will be random, but keep rtv. Idk how well this would work but it's just a thought. What do others think?

Thx, Loading...
  2. Apr 13, 2011
    Maps are going to become overplayed no matter how you put them in order.
    A real life analogy is the way they placed the letters out on typewriters. They originally placed the letters in a random pattern to prevent keys from jamming due to frequent use, but people still found ways to jam the keys.

The fact of the matter is, if you stick around on this server long enough, you're going to get bored of a particular map. The people who play the longest will play the same maps over and over again given enough time.

Random map changes hurt the casual players that doesn't play as often and who just want to have a good time.

Finally, the power of democracy keeps the population happy. Make people feel like they have a say and they will be happy while you command them.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    This has been discussed a lot before, usually in regards to vote spam, but the idea is to keep RTV around so players can pick what they want. Granted, some maps will be played more than others, but that's what people want. Just gotta deal with it until a suitable method of mitigating 1 or whatever spam is devised and put onto the servers.

Also, the current cap on the map repeat is 2 (one round + 2 revotes I think), and the cycle of recently played maps that cannot be nominated for vote is set at 8, so players must play through other maps until it is allowed to be played again. So while a map like Smee on MG can be played for a while in one sitting, it takes a while for it to come back up for voting. It's not perfect, but works well enough for people.
  4. Apr 14, 2011
    on some ze mg zm gg server they have a dull vote as 1 to spot people spaming.

so a vote would look like this

1. i am so leet
    2. mg_backally
    3. mg_puals_games
    4 mg_oaks_course
    so on

this stops 40% of people spaming 1

most people will press 1 as soon as the vote comes up not caring what they vote for or pressing one to swich a gun and bad timing for vote cmd, yes they can revote but most cba.

i dont think it should be random admins and mappers cant see what players want more or like more. we might have a really shitty map that know one likes but it has to be played likwise with a good map.
  5. Sep 25, 2010
    There will arise another problem that people are not mature enough to not choose "i am so leet". I have the following suggestion:

1) Make votes with option numbers (456789)

2) If a vote does not receive over 50% a new vote comes up with the votes that were close to each other as options(789) etc.
  6. May 24, 2011
    If any thing changed with the map voting system, the same 3 or 4 maps are going to be played. It's just the burden everyone has to go through...
  7. Mar 16, 2008
    The only way to prevent overplayed maps would be to have a set maplist without rtv.
    RTV allows people to chose a map, even mapskip allows people to leave maps they don't enjoy as much.