Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Map Cleanse for ZM

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Mod started by PeNguiN, Feb 13, 2017

1. Apr 9, 2007
    There's nothing wrong with your maps man from a foundational level, they're cleaner, and much better for the server because they're (typically, all the ones I've seen) leak free and it's clear a great deal of care was put into them. A piece of art if you will, as they should be.

I can't speak to Penguin's grievances, but even Momo kind of came off as a dick. The only core complaint I've heard is the doors, they should obviously be present because who has a doorless door frame?! However, as Momo pointed out, they limit move-ability and add another choke point into a typically hectic situation.

I honestly like your remakes for the above reasons, but when it impacts flow it can become frustrating for players. Two sides man, there's no right answer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Feb 25, 2014
      Don't remove the firewall maps, their good.
    • Jan 25, 2014
      sorry @Momo you have to actually play zm to know what maps you might like or dislike first.
    • Mar 26, 2009
      Avoiding criticism would be not doing anything to the maps when people complained about them, which is not the case. wtfhax had 9 revisions, winterfun - 4, deep_thought_redux - 5, 3dubka - 2, base_winter - 3, d64l00 - 5. This doesn't count the numerous interim revisions privately tested.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that the maps being associated with me is why they're attacked, or the people requesting the changes are trolling for the sake of being asses when they turn around and complain about the changes they wanted.

I rarely ever make doors narrower than the original map, I usually make them much wider because they were choke points.

Take wtfhax_v6 for example, the main entry door is a single width door:
      [IMG]

Compared to my remake, which is double width:
      [IMG]

I think the choke points with the doors you're talking about is because I mostly use prop_door_rotating instead of func_door or func_door_rotating as used on most ZM maps. These types of doors open slower by default, which leads to frustration by players who expect them to behave like on other maps that open immediately. I can make these doors open faster so players don't have to wait as long. I'll do a test on zm_d64l00_a5 with faster doors to see if they behave more in a way you expect from other ZM maps.

Despite popular belief, I don't have omnipresence. I can't know what spots are OP or suck unless people tell me exactly what's wrong, especially if you have asses like Penguin going "TEEHEE UR MAPS SUCK GIGA". If you want changes, I need pictures and explanations of the areas you want fixed, not a boiler plate "everything sucks".

As for OP spots, I usually have at least one secret built in back door to get to said spots. Using wtfhax again as an example, the cage room on the second floor, the room between the red crates and the room with the metal shelves all have hidden roof access doors. The pipe room underwater has a hidden teleporter.

On Winterfun, the second floor has a rather complicated back way in, which starts with the fire escape outside. Most people know it as a way to get on the air conditioner unit on the side of the building, but I actually never intended for that to be a spot.
    • Oct 29, 2010
      Yes, that definitely, at least mostly. I'm glad you posted the wtfhax door too, because another problem I seem to remember with those among others was they only swung one way, if players were bunched up on them, they simply would not open.
    • Mar 26, 2009
      Double doors must be set to open a specific direction because they work in a master/slave system where the slave opens with the master in the opposite direction. The only way double doors might be able to open both directions is if I make two matched door models which are mirrored opposites of each other. I try to make double doors open in the direction of majority traffic flow, but that doesn't help in all situations.

Single doors I usually also make only open in one direction to keep from interfering with barricades. It's rather annoying if you spent time making a barricade only to have a zombie open the door and knock it down, which is why I set doors to usually open outwards.

If you have a problem with doors which you think don't open fast enough or doors which are a single width that should be double width, post pictures of which and I can work on changing them.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      Your doors open towards or away from a player, the wtfhax doors slide up or into the wall don't they? Couldn't you get away with doing the same?
    • Mar 26, 2009
      Using sliding doors isn't always possible because of rooms above or to the sides of the door. The exterior of buildings usually isn't an issue, but anywhere else usually causes problems with the door going into the floor above when it opens.
    • Dec 30, 2007
      the regular maps on ZM are picked too often as people tend to vote the first map when given the election. rotating maps or refreshing them would be nice. it gets tiring playing the same map 3 times in the same hour. suggestion: putting more new maps into the loop - http://gamebanana.com/maps/cats/8025
    • Feb 6, 2017
      That doesn't happen. I'm not sure about the time span (it's well over an hour tho..), but maps that have been recently played can't be nominated, so they can't be played again that quickly.

The reason you see a bunch of maps that seem to be played all the time is because donators and admins have the ability to nominate the maps on which they want to play, if you want your map to be the first in the next RTV list, you have to nominate it first.

If you want to play on certain maps that usually don't get picked, you should consider becoming a donator.
      • Like Like x 1
      • May 16, 2013
        You have to play through or rtv 9 maps before you can nominate the same map again I believe
      • Aug 6, 2016
        As far as I am aware the !mphist shows the last 20 maps. I only assume that means there is a 20 map wait time. I could be wrong. Hopefully someone who knows for a fact could throw the right answer out there.
      • Oct 29, 2010
        It's definitely not 20, I can't recall what we have it set to. It should be easy enough to find out though, compare !mphist maps 8-12 (somewhere in there I believe) with what you can and can't nominate, should give you an answer.
        • Programming King Programming King x 1
        • Jul 26, 2016
          I couldn't agree more. I wish people who ACTUALLY play on the server would decide or the people who decide would play on the server. Either way is fine. Sometimes I feel like leadership is only a myth except for Emily and Kyro.
        • Oct 29, 2010
          After I went through the trouble of ignoring teemo's tard post too...

Everyone's play times are visible, you're welcome to go look at the stats page, every member of staff has put in their time at one point or another. Just because you haven't seen much of some of us in your VAST time here doesn't mean we don't know ZM very well. It's not like the ZM meta has gone through some ground breaking shift, it's the same game it has been for years now. Every time this argument comes up I can't help but roll my eyes.

As far as decisions go, do you see anyone making these decisions you seem to fear? Because this sure looks like a discussion to me, a discussion that the vast majority of people who ACTUALLY play can't seem to make time for. How dare @PeNguiN make a suggestion while he only has 20 days of play time, the audacity! Further more, anyone is welcome at any time to bring up maps for removal, hell I wish it happened more often, we've got some pretty crappy maps.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Dec 30, 2007
            I'll do just that
            • Like Like x 1
            • Aug 6, 2016
              Good man. Please feel free to explore all the other assets of donator status!
            • Jul 26, 2016
              I can't help if you're missing the point of what I mean. Then get it the way you want, I don't care that much.
            • Sep 25, 2010
              @Kyle, do you have any meaningful statistics that we can use to help determine whether the suggested maps should be removed or not?
            • Feb 27, 2012
              Perhaps we should somehow collect data on how often people RTV a map. Maybe the number of RTV's out of the active players, since we aren't at 64/64 all day and night.