Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Map Ideas

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by CCHR, Feb 3, 2014

1. Aug 19, 2013
    so i have this map in my mind, but getting it into my computer is quite a challenge. anyways the idea of the map is four towers with roughly 4-6 floors each. i dont want it to be super big but not super small either. medium size will help keep the servers populated during the night time. at the top there will be an invisible pathway connnecting the roofs that will be in different spots depending on the tower your at and going too.

secrets on each floor. varying in difficulty to get into for humans and zombies. and by that i mean i dont want them all be simple click here to enter for humans or click there to enter for zomibes. i want them to be to vary in difficulty. ie first floor will be simple 2nd floor will be more challanging and so on. doesnt have to be in that order. as far as whats on each floor havent really planed that out. but i dont want it to be completely impossible to get into for zombies. i want them to have to work a bit to get it and keep it.

opinions? tips? tricks? prefabs? all will be appreciated unless of course your just an asshat trolling. :smile:
  2. Apr 28, 2013
    First of all, is this going to be a ze map or zm map?
  3. Jan 21, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Aug 19, 2013
      Zm map but you could fairly easily make it ze

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    • Apr 3, 2013
      I guess I could try make that if that's what you're asking.
    • Jan 21, 2011
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Apr 28, 2013
        How many times are you going to say that?
      • May 30, 2012
        Not to mention how many times you say this when you speak XD...

Beside that, i actually had an idea where you escape in a big building on multiple stages, when you come to the top you will get rescued by a chopper, but yeah we already have a map close to this... ze_parking

Also, for god of lords please don't add secrets, secrets are the devil of zombie mod/escape.
        • Winner Winner x 1
          Kim, Feb 4, 2014 Last edited by Kim, Feb 4, 2014
        • Dec 11, 2013
          nice suggestion man~ i very excited about that! COOOOOL:present:
        • Aug 19, 2013
          well eventually thats my plan for my map. im sure it willl need to be optimized since im a nub. but i think it would be fun once i get it done if i ever do. lots of stairs and stuff tho. gotta make a pre fab that i like. im just not that good with hammer yet.
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Allow me to share my input of secrets for a moment.

People always say "ewww omg no secrets plz it ruins the map" And for my last couple maps, i've not put any secrets in them (other than something that just unlocks a train weapon with no value other than looking cool in the eyes of some) A lot of those maps weren't very well enjoyed. But take my zm_duke map for example. That map has probably around 6 secrets, and from the looks of it, people love the map already. Also take zm_moon_roflicious that has tons of secrets. And even zm_wtfhax if you don't mind big maps. People love it. It makes them wonder and greedy to find them. It's not like they'll all stay secret forever. And on the other hand, many maps that don't have secrets aren't very well liked. Sure people will bitch if the last person alive is hiding in it and won't come out, but that's where you have be careful with your secrets. Don't show them all off on your first test, because a few people will be spectating you and know EXACTLY how to get to it, and then the map will drag on and people won't enjoy it.

It all depends on the execution of the secrets and how secret you make them. If it's going to attract people who delay the round ending, your map won't be very well liked, and people will automatically think (such as the people in this thread) that secrets are bad. But we forget that all of our most popular ZM maps contain secrets. It's not all on secrets that make a map good or shitty, it's on the balance of the map in general. Just because it has some secrets won't make it a shitty map immediately. Hell, my first map i put a few secrets, and there are secrets 90% of people don't even know about, and that makes people complain about the map. I tried so hard to keep them secret, and that was part of what made the map unpopular.

I will tell you right now, your first and maybe even second map will be shitty. It will either be too big, made incorrectly, made too small, unbalanced in either the favour of zombies or humans, just run like complete shit, or just be one of those maps you don't like just by looking at it. Do what your imagination tells you to do, but make sure you do it right. If you're not sure about something, ask someone with some experience in mapping, and if it's for ZM, ask an appropriate mapper from that server such as myself or Satin Storm. Secrets are just another thing that can add to a map, or take away from it.

Kyle's map is another good example. People said that teamwork doesn't exist on ZM, but he proved that wrong. Sure his props are all glitchable and a lot of the spots are hard to hold, but if you have a good group of people, you can hold ANY spot on that map. I've seen the train held, both of the two hallways, the room with like 8 vendies, pretty much all the spots, and it was all done with good communication and teamwork. Sure there are times that we play the map that we don't win at all as humans. But the times we do, it is based entirely on teamwork, which is another aspect of ZM that seems to be abandoned.

So in conclusion, i don't really have an opinion on secrets for your map idea. It's too vague, and i don't know what knocks around in your head when you make maps. I just hope you enjoy making your map, and even if it were to end up being the shittiest map we've ever played, that you learned from making it. Take aspects from other maps into consideration. If you want a map based on teamwork, take zm_ur into consideration for humans, and zm_colossus into consideration for zombies. Colossus for zombies because there are literally so many ways you can get to different spots, you just have to use your imagination. Take anything that is possible for players to do whether it be run boosting, regular boosting, solo-ing, or zombie training. Sure you can whip together a map with some boxes, vendies, towers, but in the end if you want it to be good, make sure you analyze your map as you go along, decide what would be good where, and what would/could make it better, and ask some other people for advice.

TL;DR, build your map by how you imagine it, ask for advice, and look at other maps for examples of what you could put into it.

Good luck to you on making your map, CCHR, and i can't wait to give it a test. I (unlike many of the ZM players) will give you honest feedback and something helpful to build off of when it is produced to us.
          • Like Like x 1