Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Mapper skin

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by JorisCeoen, Nov 21, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 9, 2012
    Hello everyone, I have a request that is most likely foolish, but here I go anyways:

Would it be possible for mappers to have an exclusif 'Mapper skin'. I wouldn't know of a model (LinkOnFire suggested Gorfon Freeman model xD) but something in the like.

It would give us some recognition (on the servers) for our deeds, and it would perhaps even be encouraging to make more maps or to have new people try mapping. It's just an idea that I toss round, but since server nowadays even care about one extra model to DL, it probably won't happen.

In any case the idea sounded nice and I think it's indeed somewhat encouraging. Btw this idea didn't come from me originally, on Paper some people mentioned the idea, and it sounded nice to me!
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 4
      JorisCeoen, Nov 21, 2012 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Nov 21, 2012
    • Mar 12, 2008
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Yea well of course, in that sence indeed. However it still could be encouraging for other people? I like the idea only for that
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Jul 1, 2010
          Mappers already get donor status and everything that comes with it, although I suppose I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea.
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Jul 14, 2010
            If they get a mapper skin, I think they should lose donator privileges tbh. I like the idea though, as long as the skin wasn't too large and kept to the theme of the servers, :thumbsup:

I'm being very honest here, I feel mapper is given out too easily these days. It used to be for fixing maps for pF, ie, illegal spots, bugs, etc.. I don't think making a map and putting it on the servers should entitle someone to the mapper status (unless I guess it's an exclusive pF map but meh).
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • May 30, 2012
              I like the idea Joris, as i also think we would be seeing more interested in learning the mapping world, but PlagueFest already decided what should be 'Mappers' benefits which is free donator benefits, so i don't think it will happen.
              But i would still love to watch myself different to the others. :razz:

If this ever happens, then look at this model again which Tony Montana suggested long time ago...
              http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4412/sinttulocmsk.png
            • Apr 9, 2012
              I see your POV and I can agree partially. I'm not sure about the 'too fastly given mapper status' but I could imagine that people simply want to release a map solely for this purpose. However, there's a clear and obvious way of which maps are good in both gameplay graphics and popularity.

I could also imagine it's harder for ZE to create a good map rather than ZM (this is however my opinion). An example would be that making a ze map only for this purpose it probably not going to happen, since it's either a fully working and nice map that's at least worth putting onto it. (A good example of something you should never accept)

However if one is simply going to release a modified version of lila_panic, imo, it doesn't deserve the same since that map exists in hundreds and is also easy to do (and is also, in my eyes, one of the most horrible maps ever made, and the most horrible about it being that it's so popular for no reason... I mean why do people still like to play a map without and RAD into it at all...)

So that's more how I see it
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Feb 3, 2012
                Mappers already have skins. They're called donator skins. :bugeyes:
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  Or perhaps the TF2 engineer model, which has building tool. I wouldn't necessarly say that model, but a model that has something to do in that direction. But as you said Mapping benefits are indeed already pointed out. It was a suggestion anyway, not really a request. I simply want to hear the ideas about it.
                  Post Merged, Nov 21, 2012
                  That's irrelevant to the question I asked but I see what you mean. What I really want to mean is exclusif, like even admins and donators couldn't get them, simply so people on the servers can see that a mapper is playing. I think it's pretty cool but I could understand the regular player and admins + donators cannot see it the way I/mappers do if they understand what I mean with this suggestion.
                • Jun 18, 2012
                  I guess it'd be ok ... but then again, I'd be the first one to say all regs who played 10+ days deserve a skin too. :razz:

I'm not against it, I just don't see the real meaning of it besides people wanting that skin. After all, all the mappers which are known ussually get ''respect'' and stuff anyway, also without an extra skin.
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • May 30, 2012
                    But again, why is there a Level 3 Admin skin? :vampire:
                  • Jul 14, 2010
                    They're dedicated admins that worked hard to reach that level, it is much harder to get than mapper :razz:
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • Jan 11, 2012
                    • May 15, 2011

But as much as I like the idea, I don't see a reason for it. We get our Donator and our status, why must we beg for more?
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Jun 4, 2006
                        To save everyone's time in this debate... it can't happen. We wouldn't be able to add it even if we wanted to - we're bound to a limitation with the engine. If we did have room for another skin it probably wouldn't be for mappers. It would either be admin only (which we currently don't have for admins level 1 or 2), or another donator skin (as this group is by far the largest). If anything we can swap out a current skin with something smaller & better to keep things fresh, but again, this would not be a mapper only skin as this would be removing a skin from donators.
                        • Winner Winner x 1
                          Brian, Nov 21, 2012 Last edited by Brian, Nov 21, 2012
                        • Jul 14, 2010
                          Sorry, there's a minimum time requirement :wink:
                        • May 30, 2012
                          Depends on what you make ofcourse, skyrim have been in construction for 5 months.:razz:

EDIT; YEP, Free donator is also fine by me, but i still love the idea!
                        • May 14, 2011
                          Mapping takes long and you get lonely. :frown:
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • May 30, 2012
                            I never get lonely, i got @Päss to make things fun. :party:
                            • Funny Funny x 1
                            • Jul 14, 2010

Making a map isn't directly supporting plaguefest. Admins pay, moderate the servers, and are pretty much paying to work. They are rewarded for responsibility.
                              I'm not shitting on mappers, new maps are great, but they aren't direct donations towards PlagueFest. They go out to the general public, and to the CSS community. I'd guess that pF is one of the few servers that give anything to mappers.
                              • Agree Agree x 2
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.