Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Mapping conclusion

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by JorisCeoen, Apr 16, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2012
    So...I'm gonna have to spit out something that has been on my mind for quite some time, so I might as well just say it just to prevent any confusing regarding my yet so long delayed ZE maps that some people still ask after:

At the very start I've always wanted to learn mapping for CS:S, actually for many other games as well, but Source came closest to my preferation as an engine. After 2 years of CS and many other Source games I also took the step to actually learn it and do what I wanted to do for a long time: Mapping

I mainly wanted to map for ZE, but lately also DE and just simpler maps came to my liking. I spend an enourmously long time learning many of the things regarding modelling, texturing and mapping techniques, and I currently know quite a lot of it, especially on the modelling and texturing parts, and about mapping as well.
    Also I began to simply model and texture outside of Hammer for increasing my own experience and for spending a lovely time doing models the right way etc...

However, I must say that I have come to a conclusion: Despite all of my current knowledge about hammer, mapping and all the pletora of stuff, I decently failed to create anything worthful to try or look out for. Neither SSBB, Cathedral, winter forest and even my latest map de_ardennes were actually any good. I just can't do anything with all the stuff I know. It just doesn't work out.
    I think I may just not be made for mapping after all this time, because I spend much of my time doing maps that are just mediocre and lackful in many aspects such as filesize, techniques and visual appearance.

I just wanted to say that it is very likely that ze_cathedral (cs:confused:) and ze_SSBB_v1 are gonna be the last projects I will ever finish (hopefully). I still have one other project that I am doing with someone else, but I can't reveal anything about it, and has no ETA so far I know, so I can't tell anything about it. There are other things I am better in, and I may just keep on doing those than map for no particular reason/destiny.

I will still keep modelling for other mappers, I really want to enlarge the modelling library, and I will keep on playing ZE and record for it, but mapping will probably fade out by the time SSBB and the last project will be done.

I think this is not really any surprising, as this was probably already foreseable since SSBB.
    Just want to let everyone know that, so that you don't need to expect any of my projects to be done soon or don't expect them to be gicantic as I often made it look like. I will try to do my best with the final project, trying to show the best I can with mapping and modelling without screwing filesize, visuals and especially gameplay technical aspects which simply cannot go wrong.

Thanks for understanding.

I will stop after 3 last projects with mapping, I keep on doing everything else. Thanks for understanding
    JorisCeoen, Apr 16, 2013 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Apr 16, 2013
  2. Apr 1, 2012
    awww, don't give up easily

you can always ask for help! the ze mapping community is quite worldwide! (well mostly concentrated in europe)

welp, if you don't want to change your mind, hopefully your final project would be smashing!
    if you need some ideas like how to make interesting stuffs, something new or whatever, crazy items, hit me up on steam! (note: only ideas, I can't go back to Hammer!)
  3. Jun 11, 2012
    I am saddened by this because it seems your were left with a sour taste from mapping. I would say to take some time off and just goof around and let inspiration and motivation come back to you, but I would be imposing. I am still on the edge for SSBB.
  4. Apr 9, 2012
    I was indeed, despite all of it being my fault (I could have easily prevented the Pakrat problems by just testing it one day earlier, but even then, if a program doesn't work as intended, I won't blame me for all of it).

However, SSBB will still be released, and as you say, I will finally accept to not impose myself any ETA so I can work on it as long as I want to and when I want to, so that the result finally becomes realisable and good.

Thanks, that's nice to hear. Although there is no ETA, I'm very certain that it won't take more than a couple of months from where the map is at the moment, even when taking all of my time.
    Plans that I will probably do, are completely remaking the MGS level. I will take a look into the old game and actually learn the level itself so I can make the level much easier to work with both for me as for the players to play in, because currently it's just a mash up from displacements and brushes all the way long, and horrible modelling which (from this point in my modelling career on) is something that stems from the mid-ages, if not pre-history.

MGS and the Summit really need to be reworked from the bottom on.

For the characters, I'm going to resume the process of LODDING them to make them partially invisible when being picked up. I've tried to lower their ALPHA on pickup but it just doesn't work any way I tried so far I know.

And, of course, I will delete all the teleports, and carefully redo the entire system from start on, this trying to do everything fucking right. And the Final boss battle, so far I know, also suffered from hurting triggers not working, so I will have to relook all of that.