Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Meet the ASUS ROG ARES II

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Brett, Feb 9, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    The ASUS ROG ARES II is a dual GPU card, with two 7970 6GB GHz Edition GPU's on a single air AND water cooled hybrid graphics card. Basically one of these runs you a 120Hz 27in tri-monitor setup like a regular 7970 runs a 1080p monitor. This'll run you for $1,499.99, going by Newegg pricing, which is actually a great price for how advanced this card is compared to a regular 7970.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Quote from the review: "Nevertheless the excellent GPU Tweak overclocking utility is included, and you can adjust the ARES II's vital clock and voltage parameters with ease, just like a regular AMD card (must remember to sync settings as each GPU is addressed independently). The GPU voltage can be adjusted up to 1.4V from the default 1.25v (no blackouts too during testing), but we cannot confirm its actual applied voltage from a physical multimeter readout.

Although the fans on the closed-loop liquid cooler cannot be controlled by software, it successfully tamed both GPU cores to an excellent result of between 54-56 degrees celcius on Furmark 1.10.4 full load, which is a far cry from the screaming inferno of the stock HD 7970 cooling solution. Coupled with a stronger set of fans, the ARES II might be able to perform even better from a thermal standpoint.

With slightly raised voltages, our review sample could attain 1250MHz on the core and 1800MHz on the memory base clock. As with any form of overclocking, your milege may vary."

Bricks were shat.

source: http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-rog-ares-ii-6gb-review-part-1-2--in-a-different-league/18752.html

@It's never too late to change your mind.
  2. May 14, 2011
    Ghost, Feb 9, 2013 Last edited by Ghost, Feb 9, 2013
  3. Nov 29, 2010
  4. Jun 11, 2012
    And Brett bought 6 of them but suddenly realized when Crysis 3 comes out it will be obsolete. But honestly, if you have expandable income go for it, then you will realized that nothing out there pushes the hardware that will warrant this. Like how the average hardcore gamer spends money on 32~64GB memory but end up using nothing more than less 10.
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    The computer in the end made me laugh pretty hard:laugh:
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    I thought that too at first but considering that these are two GPU's on a card and are both very efficiently cooled using air and a closed loop liquid cooling system. Even better, they managed to keep them cool even with both of them being 6GB GHz Edition cards, with a stock clock at 1100MHz, and easily hit 1250MHz as mentioned in the review.

A 7970 with a waterblock pre-applied to it still runs for $600 or more. Factor in its own closed loop system hooked up to it with a beefy radiator and two nice fans, I believe that hits $750 easily. So I guess $1,499.99 is a decent price for this (not sure why the review says $2,499.99).
  7. Nov 29, 2010
    For Price/Performance that thing definately does not win any awards in my books, since the GTX 690 is cheaper, however marginally weaker in terms of power.

But for raw power, perhaps.
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    The GPU's on the 690 are underpowered, and this also has a dual waterblock installed on it, which you should consider in the price. I believe this is too many bells and whistles to be counted as "overpriced".

In the end I'd still never get this, as I like to custom water cool all of my components.