Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

MegaUpload has been shut down by the DOJ and FBI

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Vadleon, Jan 19, 2012

1. Jan 12, 2011
    Sorry for a brief OP, but this just occurred today. This thread is for links, information, and discussion.

LA Times article
    CNN article
    PC World article
    PC Mag article
    MTV article
    ....still searching for more info and links.

In short, MegaUpload (a popular file hosting and sharing site) has been shut down in its entirety for copyright infringing material that was hosted on their site. It's no secret that anyone who rips a song or video can upload it somewhere, but rather than deal with the individuals responsible, the government outright axed the site. This included removing all legitimate file sharing and related business.

The timing of this is definitely going to raise a storm of questions and increase awareness of what is going on with the government. If one thing can be taken as fact from the news, it's that this happened without the SOPA or PIPA bills. Although this is just me speculating, wanna guess what will really happen if the bills or some future "revision" of them passes? :nuke:

Discuss, but try to keep it civil.
  2. May 27, 2008
    My care meter is at an all time low.
  3. Feb 18, 2011
    Mediafire is better, MegaUpload has had problems 24/7 with the government, kinda expected.
  4. Mar 20, 2011
    Does not bother me one bit, I really don't care about megashare, rapidshare, or any other share. I don't use those websites and never will. I use my own FTP and I am fine with that. =P
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    One-click download + multiple parallel downloads for the fucking win.

And I think Vadleon is right, just imagine what is going to happen if SOPA & PIPA pass, even if they're revised.
  6. Jan 12, 2011
    Not the point. Even if there were some previous issues, this killed ALL functions of the site. Legal and illegal activities were ceased as if the same. Not trimmed of the "bad" as some people hoped such action would only do, but all of it is gone. This is now an example of the website shutdowns that people feared might happen if the Congress bills passed. The bills haven't even been voted on but this still happened.

Nice, but also not the point.
  7. Oct 22, 2011
    sceneaccess.org own!
  8. Jun 4, 2006
    ITT people that miss the point entirely. :confused:
  9. Jul 1, 2010
    It's not technically the same thing as SOPA/PIPA. The US has always had the ability to technically do this with a court order as far as I know, it was just rarely done and not on this scale. This was a concerted act between multiple countries as well.

It is a prelude as to what could be much MUCH easier if SOPA/PIPA passed however.
  10. Mar 20, 2011
    This has always happened in the past. Look at the other sites seized, particular the gaming sites. Also the US government cannot pull this off overnight. They do not just call up New Zealand overnight and say arrest these website owners for piracy. Hopefully the freedom of information act will allow us to see how long, or someone states how long the investigation on the website had been ongoing. This is pure speculation but I bet they have been running tests, finding uploaded copyrighted content. Then sending letters and or emails asking for the removal of the content and seeing if it got removed. I bet it was not getting removed so this was the outcome. Look at YouTube, they have to yank a lot of content and they are still in business. Will it get worse if those bills are invoked? I say yes, but it is going to be really hard to police with the amount of users on the internet which exceeded 2.1 billion active users last year. It will be a financial and logistical nightmare to try and keep up police. I do not believe SOPA or PIPA will ever pass in their current form.

Those are my 2 cents.
  11. Jan 12, 2011
    That's precisely why this draws so much attention with regards to those bills. The government already has measures to deal with people or sites that pirate copyrighted material. Why do they need those bills then? I know the bills aren't so simple, but that was their name-sake purpose. In light of this news, the bills come off as an unnecessary power grab for the government and large businesses.

If MegaUpload was shut down through existing and completely legal means on the basis that the website violated copyright law (in addition to others apparently), then that's just a shame. But even then, legitimate and non-infringing activities that use the site should not have been lumped in with the purge. At the very least, the website could have been suspended as investigators singled out the specific files (and possibly users) that broke the law. Then they could allow the site to resume operation with only legal file sharing.

Unfortunately, this news supports many people's fears of what may happen to major sites that have infringing material. It goes without saying Youtube would be right at the top of the list, but action against that so quickly would enrage people over all the legal content hosted.

Due process isn't supposed to be fast or easy. It should be thorough and accurate, and only affect those who are accused. If a 2-year investigation of MegaUpload has yielded this result, that's fine, but the timing of it is horrible.
  12. Mar 20, 2011
    As for singling out the specific users who uploaded or downloaded the files would be next to impossible and would cost way to much to do. It is much cheaper to cut the website off all together and that is why it went down this way. Same thing happened with the gambling websites in the states, they did not go after the players, just the website owners.
  13. Jun 19, 2011
    I love mediafire too, I'm so glad I didn't purchase megaupload's premium account.
  14. Jan 12, 2011
    It may be difficult, but the law should only punish the specific people who broke it. This may be cheaper and faster, but it doesn't execute due process properly, I believe. I edited my last reply with some more, but didn't see the new posts in the time I was typing.
  15. Mar 20, 2011
    While I agree with you, due process is indeed in order if they went after users in the states, they cannot impose that internationally, and even if they could, it would not be worth the cost.
  16. Jan 12, 2011
    Additionally, while piracy in popular belief is supposed to be the maliciously deliberate downloading and distributing of material illegally, many people "pirate" each day. Posting a montage video of kills in Halo with an awesome soundtrack is pirating, though the intent is innocent. While all this really deserves is a warning and slap on the wrist, companies are willing to sue the hell out of anyone who crosses the line simply because it's PIRATING ARGGG. Context is necessary in decisions, and I fear a lot of that went out the window years ago.

An example - We all have linked people to funny videos or neat music at some point, right? Does it have any copyrighted stuff in it? Pirating. Does it do harm to the businesses? Maaaaaaaaybe vaguely, and while it's not my place to decide what's right and wrong, arguments on the other side can be made. By sharing stuff on Youtube it gets publicity. I have actually bought more copyrighted things by seeing them hosted elsewhere first. Why? I like my things in high quality and buying that product not only (usually) ensures that, but then I have a physical backup of whatever it is.
  17. Mar 20, 2011
    When it comes to music and videos being embedded or uploaded scenes to websites I think this is totally fine. In fact a lot of times this will spur sales with individuals wanting to buy the content of the uploaded material. What I don't approve of is the outright downloading of copyrighted music, videos, games or other works, which you could walk into a store and buy off the shelf.
  18. Jul 1, 2010
    What you have to remember about the constitution and everything else, there are exceptions to literally EVERYTHING. My Law and Evidenciary Aspects class really opened my eyes to the way things actually work.

Trying each individual person would be WAY too expensive, not only resource wise but also legal wise. Not to mention the fact that we pay for it.
  19. Jun 19, 2011
    USB flash drive FTW! Who can shut that down? Hope it doesn't break.