Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Messing with hardware.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Anathema, Apr 1, 2012

1. Feb 18, 2011
    So I am almost finished with my dream computer build, and I noticed that my PS3 is starting to go. I really like it, I have had it for about 4-5 years which is great, but I don't want it to die. For those of you wondering, this is the bundle I got http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-80GB-Metal-Gear-Solid-3/dp/B0014WJ78E

Now I was wondering if it is possible to change out some hardware like the HDD, the case, and so on. If it is even possible, can I change it out myself or do I need it done for me? Thanks.
  2. May 14, 2011
    Yes you can change the HDD. Just buy a PS3 HDD or look for broken PS3s and take the HDD out.

Yes you can change the case, Just buy a broken PS3 and replace all the components. (watch a video on how to replace the fan as it requires taking you all of the components anyway)

If you are very DIY inclined you can build youself a new case. Remember, the cpu is under the mobo so if you do take that into consideration.

If you are a techie then this is a piece of cake. If you are not then be prepared to brick your PS3.
  3. Feb 18, 2011
    Sounds fun, brb. Should totally make a see-through case and shove the shit full of led lights.

Oh can you change the optical drive? The disc eater no longer works, I have to shove the disc in and get a church key to get it out. D:
  4. Mar 20, 2011
    I would go all out and just build a whole new computer case or adapt it to a self made tap plastic case. Would require some modding but would be fun. =P
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    There's actually a dude who put his PS3 Hardware into a small Mid tower PC case, and it looks fucking sweet. I think there's a DIY mounting kit and such, I just forgot the website.

Though, I'd say just scrap the PS3 and it's terrible graphics and stay on your PC. The new PlayStation is coming out in a little over a year anyways.
  6. Feb 18, 2011
    I keep it because this is the final model that has the PS2 backwards compatibility inside. Plus it has a bit of sentimental value to me too :shock:

Nothing really can be changed up, so I will just repair everything broken: change out bluray drive, fix flap that has the SD card inputs, fix the metal at the bottom, replace the fan.
    Oh and fuck, creditcard was denied when I bought newegg shit. Need to get that done first.

In terms of changing hardware, nothing much can be done since everything is pretty much soldered on the main board. Even the HDD has limits. In terms of RPM nothing higher than 5400 rpm will work to it's full potential, even SSDs won't do it's best. Guess I just need to get a large amount added.

Maybe I should make it look sexy, like it just came out of it's case. Sell it to a person living in their parents basement for a few thousand in like 10 years. That would be epic.
  7. May 14, 2011
    Yeah what I wanted to do to my PS3 was install a water cooling kit on it, it would cost you <£80 especially if you were using used parts. If that sounds nice to you rember you need 2 water blocks because both the gpu and cpu go off the same heatsink. I would also recomend scraping the old fan and hatsink and going with a proper one because the fan is shit loud.

If you are planning on doing a new build in a case then just get a PCB blueprint and drill holes in the plexiglass where the screw holes were and put really long screws through it with a few nuts and washers to secure things in place.

Unfortunately you cannot replace the ODD as it is Blu-ray and one of the best blu-ray drives on the market, even after this much time. It also has a wierd connector that doesnt have a socket. It only has a flat, wide wire that you crush against a socket. (That saves on space). Same with thee Gpu, Its PS3 OS locked so it cant be used else where. Even if you install linux on your PS3.

Hope that helped
  8. Feb 18, 2011
    The fan is most definitely loud asphuck rofl. Never really made a case from hand but I guess senior physics (at my school it's a blend of woodshop and mathematics.) has taught me something when it comes to blueprints.

With the ODD I looked around, you can replace it, but it involves taking apart EVERYTHING. I guess I get to play with a 3d puzzle like when I was 9 :razz:. This is gonna be fun.

Anyone else have experience with modding PS3s?
  9. May 14, 2011
    No trust me its MUCH harder to get to the fan. The ODD is one of the first things you see. You only need to take the PSU out to disconnect it. The fan is at the very bottom of the case and you have to remove the mobo to take it out. Which means you have to take the heatsink for the psu/gpu off. To put it back together u have to blindly (you really have no chance to see what your doing even if someone helps you) reattach the cpu to the heatsink.

And yes it if sooo fun. :razz: I recommend cold cathode lights under the plastic on the top cover. My friend did it and it looks soo nice.
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    Wish you were working on an Xbox 360 instead, I've water cooled one of them for my friend before.

and @Ghost1995 the PS3 Blue-Ray Drive is extremely cheap.... Sony would never put an actual $100 drive into their product, when they can just make some BS one for $40-$50, if that.

And @Anathema , I'm still for the idea of tossing everything into a mid-size tower using a PS3 to PC case mounting kit, then water cooling. Would be pretty beast.