Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

mg_smee_redux_v1a

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by sajak, Aug 28, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2011
    Smee tower is one of my favorite maps and I felt it needed some more love so I started reduxing the map and so far it's coming out pretty good. The brush work is done by me. @Tony the Tiger!! :D just needs to add details and props and it should be good to go. :grin:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jan 21, 2011
      Because we need more versions of smee...............

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    • Feb 3, 2012
      Looks good so far sajak, keep it up! :thumbsup:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Feb 11, 2012
        I may have just came a little. Smee is my all time favourite mg map.

@Seeker. Quite you. ^_^
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Feb 27, 2012
          You're right, there doesn't need to be. But let me put it this way, do artist really need to paint more paintings? Do video game companies really need to make more games? I'm sure they've got all the fame and money they could get. But why do they keep doing it? Because they're artistic in what they do, they're talented. Sajak and I talked about this a lot before, and the original does look shity. So, using the artistic skills we both have combined, we are coming up with a redux of Smee Tower. It really isn't about replacing it and saying "MY VERSION IS BETTER IT SHOULD REPLACE THE PIECE OF SHIT BEFORE IT ALL BOW DOWN TO US," but rather it's about the experience you have in creating something. Show "see, i can do a good job." Sure, it does kind of say "This version looks better than the other," but that's the point of a redux, to improve upon what the original creator's version lacked.

So no, we don't really need more versions, but it's a nice thing for us to do, for the practice and learning. No need to be a jerk about it. We're just doing what we enjoy doing.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            This. It's something we figured can be a lot better than what we have now. Just the lighting on the current smee is horrendous. Whoever compiled the map didn't know anything about compiling it properly. Don't be too quick to judge Seeker, give the map a chance and see if you prefer it over the one we have now.
          • Feb 27, 2012
            And if you don't, oh well, and have fun with that version, i won't blame you.
          • Jan 21, 2011
            I'm simply voicing my opinion on reduxes and remakes in general. Plus, I'd much rather see something completely new than another version of smee. A redux is like a cover of a song; 90% of the time the original is better and should have been left alone.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
          • Jun 23, 2010
            Looks good. Just don't ruined SMEEEEEEEEEE.
          • Feb 27, 2012
            It's not another version of smee, it's a redux, so there are for sure going to be some differences in the map such as layout.
          • Feb 27, 2012
            Well, i can respect that then, and i absolutely agree with you 100%

I just want you to understand that redux's are a way of showing what people are capable of and how they can build off of other people's work. Take atix and the redux for example... I loved the gameplay of the original, but the graphics and effects were lacking quality. Sajak's version brought more life to it, and made it stand out much more, but the gameplay and balancing was way on the Zombie's side, which really sucked, and made me not like it for playing it. It was more of something to look at in my opinion. Even though i don't like playing the redux, i think it's an amazing remake of the original. Just like covers of a song (i fucking love music btw, if you haven't noticed yet lol) it may not be nearly as good as the original, but i look past that and see what life the cover artist put into it, and see what he was trying to bring into it and show what it was originally lacking.