Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Microphone acting up

Discussion in Technical Support started by errl, Dec 1, 2013

1. Jan 17, 2013

I have a laptop with a built in mic, and just starting today people are saying it's making a heinous noise when i use it.
    i went to the voice settings and tested the mic, and during the test i get a super high pitched noise, almost like those fire alarms from grade school. seeing as how i have literally nothing making noise, where is this coming from?
    Also, when i try to unclick the "boost mic gain" box and hit apply, it looks like it works, but in my console it says,
    " 'userconfig.cfg' not present; not executing.
    Host_WriteConfiguration: Wrote cfg/config.cfg
    'userconfig.cfg' not present; not executing.
    Host_WriteConfiguration: Wrote cfg/config.cfg "

and in this case, it doesn't save the settings after i click apply and close outta the voice settings.
    Anyone know what's up with it? i've been playing for the better part of a year or two now and my mic has been fine up until now.
    thanks for any help or info!
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    I've heard that if the mic is too close to the monitor, it can really mess with the mic. But you could always try going to your recording options and changing some settings.

Right click your sound icon, choose Recording Devices. Double click on your microphone, go under advanced, and change the quality under here. I recommend trying this setting.
    [IMG]

Then go back to your Listen tab, click Listen To This Device, hit apply, and see if it still makes that noise. If it does, keep trying the quality settings. If it isn't that, then idk. This was my issue before.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Jan 17, 2013
      that did work a little bit, but it's still being funky and making the noise, just not as severe now lol
      • Like Like x 1
      • Feb 27, 2012
        Perhaps the mic has just run its time. Try some lower quality settings (unless you have a $400 studio mic you really won't notice the difference in the quality settings.)You could also try updating/installing/reinstalling your audio drivers. Under windows 8 my mic wouldn't let me go past the 16bit 48000Hz quality without proper drivers.
      • Jan 17, 2013
        now that i think of it, it's been doing it since i updated to windows 8.1. maybe reinstalling the drivers will solve it, gonna give that a shot
        • Like Like x 1