Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Moby Dick

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by DopeScope, Nov 29, 2011

1. Jul 19, 2011
    Im reading moby dick right now and honestly it is the hardest book ever. Did any of you read this horrific book? I am a junior in high school.
  2. Feb 18, 2011
    Wow I am a junior and I'm reading one of Cormac McCarthy's great books: The Road.
    I choose not to read moby dick because it sounds obscurely boring.
  3. Jul 19, 2011
    ahh ur so lucky!!!!! Moby dick is required for me
  4. Feb 18, 2011
    You could always use SparkNotes to help you "finish" the book
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    I loved Moby Dick; It's one of my favorite books. Chapter 42, The Whiteness of the Whale, (I believe) is incredible.

Also, if you think Moby Dick is bad try reading The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentlemen
  6. Nov 14, 2010
    Just watch "The Pagemaster" and you'll get a rough summary of Moby Dick. All you're gonna need to know!
  7. Oct 27, 2010

I do like that movie though...
  8. Jul 23, 2010
    I would approach the book in a different way. I have read it and believe it is one of the best pieces of literature ever. If you are having trouble grasping the language or following the storyline, you can find websites that summarize each chapter. I would read the summary after each chapter to help.
  9. Oct 17, 2011
    Ive heard of it in my school but never have read it. Im still a freshman in high school tho
  10. Jul 19, 2011
    haha yeah! I used sparknotes on a lot of books like Lord of the Flies. All the seniors recommended Shmoop though. They said it has better information than sparknotes on many books including Moby

Seraphine and 1/128-I've heard from many including my history teacher than Moby can be one of the best books that I will ever read if I take the time to understand the literature.
  11. Jan 11, 2011
  12. Oct 29, 2010

I never read Moby Dick, so I cannot comment on it.
  13. Jul 28, 2011
    call me crazy, but I might just read this book for *gasp* enjoyment! :razz:
  14. Dec 7, 2010
  15. Oct 27, 2010
    If you have trouble reading it, try using the audiobook version of it. It's often much easier to understand a book that way as the orators inflections, voices, and enunciation provide a more clear view of the work. I listen to them all day at work.

I can't recommend it enough. It's a work of pure passion. Herman Melville poured everything he had into it; it's spectacular.
  16. Jul 23, 2010
    Agreed with all of this.
  17. Feb 21, 2007
    Not only does it have the most famous beginning lines of any book, but if you were taught how to read in kindergarten, then you should be able to read the book. It is in old English though, so it may be a little difficult to comprehend the terminology used.
  18. Aug 29, 2011
    whatever you do, dont go to see the movie moby dick, it's the worst movie ive seen in a decade:grin:
    i felt i got trolled by the makers for seeing this low budget film
  19. Aug 18, 2006
  20. Feb 18, 2011
    I imagine it would be easier if someone read harry potter or Gilgamesh