Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Modeling for CS:GO

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Dirtbag, Aug 18, 2012

1. May 15, 2011
    I would like to start modeling again. (With the little time I have. -D-) However, I have absolutely no idea how to make models for CS:GO, let alone CS:S. I have tried looking up tutorials but I have been unable to find anything that really explains it well.

If someone could point me in the right direction or help me, it would be much obliged. ^^
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    • Sep 25, 2010
    • May 15, 2011
      Modelling as in getting models into Hammer. I can build the models, but I have butt fuck for an idea on how to get them working with CS:S/CS:GO.
    • Oct 17, 2011
      Ask JorisCoen. He's the only modeler here I guess.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      You can easily model for CS:GO in 3DS Max (Wall Worm Model Tools) https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Wall_Worm_Model_Tools and http://dev.wallworm.com/

However the program looks easy but is pretty complicated... I'm not sure if I can expain all. There are the tutorials on the site itself and are very easy to follow.
      The thing is if you have 3DS Max and the plugin installed, you can in the settings use the gameinfo.txt from CS:GO so you are compiling for CS:GO.
      Also, you can use the modelsrc and materialsrc of the CS:GO directories so they are directly compiled into the mat and mod folders of GO.

You should learn the program as it is heaven for Source compiling overall.

I can't help you with modelling iteself though... You can use 3DS Max, Blender, Sketchup, XSI, Maya and so on... But in the end the models you would like to make are none of my bussines ofc ^^
      In any case: You can model in whatever program you want, it won't make any difference, just find the one that suits you (I highly recommend WWMT)

But for having models for CS:GO, just compile them into the directories for CS:GO and you should be fine. It may even not be required to compile them into those directories (But it's preferred anyway).
      I'm just afraid to again give misinformation ( @GiGaBiTe ).

The thing is Idk for sure how to model for CS:GO... I just model in 3DS Max and then I export them into the CS:GO directs and then all models work perfectly for it. So far I know, nothing in the .QC changes for GO models unless using commands only specified for the Portal 2 engine.

Gigabyte could help you far better with this but the thing is I never know when he's online and I don't see him here around often, so it might take some time before he could answer. He might not answer at all too, idk x)
      Post Merged, Aug 20, 2012
      @JorisCeoen
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mar 16, 2008
        I have a version of 3DS. Don't use it often though because it's rather difficult to learn from just self taught methods. I use Sketchup because it was the first program I ever used. I have downloaded the tool however, and will try to learn 3DS since it seems easier.

I have tried Zbrush, but for some reason, it just wasn't working without money.

I'll give soft image a try, since I have never heard of it.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        XSI Softimage is indeed good too, but is mainly used for characters so far I know. Sketchup is solely good for environment props and geometry. Also especially useful for easy collsionmodels
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Don't forget Joris, he needs to learn how to animate also. Modeling != animation.
      • Oct 17, 2011

@JorisCeoen[/quote]
        Sorry lol. Sometimes my iPad corrects the words that I put which becomes really annoying and it does it automatically by itself. Fixes your name :razz:
      • May 15, 2011
        My main problem however is not creating the props, but getting them to work with Hammer. When I look in the folders I see a whole lot of things like a .3ds (basic, I understand that one) and .dx90/80. Also I hear a lot about this .QC file. What is that?

I have taken animating courses before. I do know how, I just dislike it. It's so damn tedious. -D-
      • Apr 9, 2007
        • Like Like x 1
        • Feb 14, 2013
          Hi, I just started learning to work with Autodesk 3ds max (2013),
          This Wall Worm Model Tool seems like the plugin to have with 3ds, but how exactly does it work?
          I am currently working on a very basic model to spawn in the game of cs:go so i have no pre existing QC file for it, since the model is not player or map related do i need one?

what exactly do you mean by compiling it into the csgo directories.
          How can I add materials and models from cs:confused: or cs:go into 3ds max?
          And how can i export the animation i made for my object? simple rotation recorded with autokey.

Greets,
          Sky
          Sky-High, Feb 14, 2013 Last edited by Sky-High, Feb 14, 2013