Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Models showing up as Errors in game

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Jun 3, 2012

1. Feb 27, 2012
    Okay, so long story short, I got a virus, backed up my steam folder, formatted, copied it back to where it should be, and continued making my map. When I'm in the Model Browser, I can see the models. When I render the map and look at it, it shows up as an error. I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I think it's looking for the models in the wrong place. Here are some screenshots of my settings.

The path here is
    c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\smellepuc\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\cstrike\models\props\de_train\light_security.mdl
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. May 15, 2011
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\smellepuc\counter-strike source\cstrike\models

nvm, mine shows the same. :silly:

That would be the proper directory. Also, why the fuck did you back up your steam? No real need. Having it deleted and doing a fresh install works just as well, if not better, because sometimes it fixes shit.
    Dirtbag, Jun 3, 2012 Last edited by Dirtbag, Jun 3, 2012
  3. Feb 27, 2012
    I needed to back it up. My shitty Canadian internet has a 40gb data cap. So i would have to redownload all my stuff, then i'd be over my bandwidth. I would have just reinstalled it, but the data cap.
  4. May 14, 2011
    Check your games cache for both cs:s and sdk and it will fix it completly :smile:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I'll try that now and report back when its done.
    • May 15, 2011
      Sorry, lol, completely forgot about that. Ghost knows all. D:
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Feb 27, 2012
        Did that and it still is showing the models as errors. This is quite irritating.
      • Jul 28, 2011
        What about default maps? Is it just your own maps that you compile from hammer, or is it every other custom map too?
      • Feb 27, 2012
        I figured it out. I durped HARD. I had it set to Prop_physics or something instead of prop_dynamic. HURP DEE DURP.
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Nov 11, 2011
          That makes no sense... but glad you got it fixed.
        • May 15, 2011
          When a prop does not have the settings to be a certain prop, it either disappears, or becomes an ERROR model apparently. This is why they have prop_physics_override. So if a prop does not have physics properties, you can still override that. If you were to use a prop_physics even though it isn't supported, the prop will not show up in game. Guess for prop_dynamics it becomes an ERROR model.
        • Jul 28, 2011
          You can check to see what kind of prop a certain model is able to be used as. In the model browser, go to the Info tab and it will have a check for dynamic, physics, and static. I'm not sure why there's not one for detail, though...
        • May 15, 2011
          Do you know what prop_details are and how to use them? I will love you long time if you teach me. :inlove:
        • Nov 11, 2011
          No. He is in Hammer and he said that he didn't change anything and they were showing up before but not now. So unless you're saying that copying a vmf to a new installation of SourceSDK changes classes... I find that hard to believe. lol. Unless he was a noob in the beginning and had them set wrong while they were showing, then saved his changes and didn't open it up until after he reinstalled. I know Tony for a while and he's been working on the map fine, so I assumed he had decent enough knowledge to know what he chose. In any case, Grudge is right, you can always go into the Info tab when picking a model and see which configuration it supports. :shame:
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jul 28, 2011
            I have used them in the past for things like 3d grass. They are very cheap to render, so you can add quite a few of them to your map to make your grassy field look better. That's really all I know about them. I'm sure there are some other models that you can use too, but I have yet to explore its full potential!
          • May 15, 2011
            Yes, but I have no idea how to use them. I heard they can be used for making cheap foliage in large quantities. Grass/flowers and overall just adding amazing amounts of ambiance to a forest/field/natural environment. I think this would be an amazing tool to have if we knew more about it. Kosuki said he was working on it to learn more about it. Here's his thread.
            • Agree Agree x 1