Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Monitor Suggestions

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Thor Haz Luck, Nov 26, 2015

1. Mar 12, 2015
    I recently built my first Desktop, and I find myself in need of a monitor, but I know next to nothing about them.
    My Build:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ATX
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 88W
    Memory: 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3-1866
    HDD/SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM HDD / SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 120GB Internal SSD
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    Case: Rosewill THOR V2 Black SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Full-modular Power Supply
    Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Can anyone suggest monitors that will work well with this build? From what I can gather; 1920 x 1080 is the best resolution for the VidCard that I have, but I am open to suggestions. Please try to keep prices less than astronomical
    Thor Haz Luck, Nov 26, 2015 Last edited by Thor Haz Luck, Nov 26, 2015
  2. Jul 14, 2010
    Three things. Do you care about refresh rate, color, or best budget? There's ips panel for better viewing angle and color, or 144 hz monitor for gaming, or a regular 60 hz monitor TN display which is a basic monitor setup. Read into those three. Get a quality brand too, not a black Friday one or it could be lower quality parts. Your build looks nice.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Verdawright
      This message by Verdawright has been removed from public view. Deleted by Tony The Tiger, Nov 27, 2015.
      Nov 27, 2015
    • Jan 5, 2014
      I can't recommend specific brands or models, but I can help you with your shopping process. Here's a short summary on monitor specs:

I think 1920 x 1080 is perfect for you. Your 970 could handle 2560 x 1440, but it'd have to be older games or low/medium graphics.

BUT, if this computer is mostly for productivity or working, then I'd recommend a 2560 x 1440 monitor. The extra screen real estate is seriously orgasmic. They're hella pricey though, mine ran me about $500 (it's seriously a kickass monitor though).

Panel Types
      Long story short, IPS looks great but is more expensive. TN doesn't look as great, but it's cheaper. But IPS panels aren't that much more expensive and they really look fantastic, so I'd recommend getting an IPS panel. You got a 970 for a reason, no point cranking up the graphics high if your monitor ain't even going to do it justice, amirite?
      1. IPS
        1. great color reproduction (i.e. shit looks great)
        2. great viewing angles (i.e. more flexibility for tilting, rotating, etc.)
        3. usually has longer response types (i.e. delay between mouse/keyboard input and it being displayed on the monitor)
          1. unless you're playing at a hardcore competitive level, it really doesn't make a difference.
          2. a typical response time for IPS panels is 5ms and TN panels can be as fast as 1ms, but it's seriously seriously not noticeable at all
        4. more expensive
      2. TN
        1. so-so color reproduction
        2. so-so viewing angles
        3. fast response times
        4. cheaper
      Refresh rate
      Basically, a monitor's refresh rate determines how much FPS it can output. For example, a 60hz monitor can output at most 60 FPS. Even if your GPU can crank out, say, 150 FPS, your monitor won't be able to display that. This causes an issue called screen tearing, but I won't get into that here since I don't think it's relevant.

A lot of this section depends on your budget, the type of games that you play, and your GPU. High refresh rate monitors get really expensive though, and since you can't spend too much, just stick with 60hz.

VESA Mounting Compatible
      Make sure your monitor is VESA-mountable. Basically lets you put your monitor on a wall stand or desk mount or whatever. Doesn't really add extra cost, so there's really no reason not to get one IMO. Monitor stands are sexy as fuck.

tl;dr look for these specs
      -1920 x 1080
      -IPS panel
      -(Optional) VESA mount-able

Should run you, say $130-$150.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jan 21, 2011
        Go for 1440p if you can afford it. I have a 7950 3GB that has no problems running my 1440p main screen and two 1080p side screens, so your 970 shouldn't have any issue with it. The resolution difference is incredible.
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Mar 12, 2015
          @PeNguiN Its definitely going to be a gaming build, so what do you think would be the best type for intense gaming?
          @Beggar So thanks man, i appreciate the tips
          @Seeker 2560 x 1440 or 3440 x 1440?
          I was thinking about maybe getting two of These
        • Jan 21, 2011
          2560x1440 or WQHD or QHD. They're all the same. I don't see much point to the ultra wide screen displays, but that's more personal preference.
        • Mar 12, 2015
          My primary confusion right now is whether I would want a higher refresh rate and/or a lower response time, or go with an IPS Panel (with lower refresh and higher response) that @Beggar So suggested. I want to be able to play games as lag free and seamlessly as possible.
        • Jan 21, 2011
          This is the monitor I have. I don't notice any lag at all and the picture is amazing.
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • Aug 7, 2012
            time to go 4K.
          • Jan 5, 2014
            I have an IPS monitor with 5ms response time, and I have no noticeable input lag at all. Things run very, very smoothly for me. Unless you're playing competitively at a high level, it really doesn't matter.

If you can afford it, there are IPS panels with high refresh rate. But look for a monitor with variable refresh rate technology. The idea is, the monitor will automatically change its rated hz to match the FPS output. So if your GPU is spitting out 100 FPS, the monitor will change to put out 100hz. It really makes things so much smoother.

For NVIDIA graphics cards, look for a monitor with G-SYNC technology. That's NVIDIA's name for its variable refresh rate technology. Usually you'd need to make sure your GPU actually supports G-SYNC, but you're fine since I know the 970 supports it.

tl;dr just go with IPS, the difference in input lag isn't noticeable at all. If you have the money, there are IPS panels with high refresh rate (look for ones with G-SYNC technology)

I can tell you're a man of taste because we have the same monitor. :grin:
          • Jan 21, 2011
            I believe I made a thread about it when I was considering it and your input helped greatly, @Beggar So
            • Winner Winner x 1