Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Move the servers to Austin texas for Google Fiber?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by ZombieFurbie, Apr 9, 2013

1. Feb 19, 2012
    The plaguefest servers, at least, the ZE server, is located in Houston Texas.

So apparantly, http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/04/09/175229/google-fibers-austin-texas-rollout-confirmed]Google Fiber is coming to Austin, Texas[/url]. I think Plaguefest's servers could really benefit from cheap, gigabit internet.Imagine connecting to pF and being able to download a 200-300mb map like skyrim in seconds, limited only by your download speed. It would eliminate or at least lessen the drop in players when a map changes and players have to dl the map.

Might be worth looking into. If you guys already have internet that fast, maybe it would be a cheaper option, i dunno.

edit: So apparantly i put this thread in the wrong place, if someone could move this to the correct place that'd be great. Then again, a server move could potentially affect the website too, yeah? So maybe it's fine here, i dunno.
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    We're already in Texas. Considering North Korea is claiming Texas is a target for their nukes, maybe we shouldn't be there. (We're already in a gig link anyways)
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Oh wow... Slashdot... reminds me of so many old memories. Good old days... also Digg v1 and v2. <3 But yeah, let's see how these "nukes" play out first. I swear a bunch of legos are gonna pop out.
    • Feb 19, 2012
      Is that gig link cheap? $70/mo for 1000mbps seems like a steal.

also, this is the first i've heard of north korea targeting texas. wtf.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      Kyle, Apr 9, 2013 Last edited by Brian, Apr 10, 2013
    • Nov 11, 2011
      I pay 130$/mo for TV/Phone/Inet (35mbps down/20mbps up). So yes, it's a steal.
    • May 14, 2011
      I thought if you buy server space you get super fast internet with that as standard, as well as power supply backups.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      Not always true. It can be like Safeway compared to Fred Myers. Or in your case HMV compared to a mom and pop record shop.

100mbit is still pretty common. Fine for most cases, until you're attacked by clowns. Backup power is a luxury, I know a few data centers that don't have them at all.
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • May 15, 2011
        Telus? That's the same plan I have. I'm constantly getting lag spikes or sudden downtime though, really fucking wish we had more options here, but they're the only provider with Optic Fiber.
      • Apr 9, 2007
        He's American from New Jersey on Comcast. Kind of surprised you have 20mbit upload from Telus, and that you're on GPON :O
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Way to nslookup me up bro! Putting my "privacy" out there like that! :frownbig:
      • May 15, 2011
        [IMG]

No idea what that actually means. All I know is I should be getting good speeds. Or so in Task Manager > Networking it says my link speed is 65Mbps though it only utilizes 0.2%~. I don't know internet though so I can't fix it. :C
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Eww... your link speed is the max your network can support. Not what you're getting lol. And that is one horrendous upload -_-
        Post Merged, Apr 9, 2013
        Ohh... you chose a server 150 miles away? You don't have anything closer?
        Post Merged, Apr 9, 2013
        Meh, it's 5:36pm here and a lot of people are on, but this is mine presently:
        [IMG]
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • May 14, 2011
          [IMG]

Its all about e-peen
        • May 15, 2011
          Unfortunately no. I am literally in the middle of butt fuck nowhere, surrounded by rolling plains and farms.
        • Apr 9, 2007
          Oh I see the problem. Your wireless speed is your internal network speed. You're on HSIA15, or the now defunct Optik equivalent. You're paying for 15/1, you're getting 14.27/0.96, I'd say you're pretty damn close, especially considering you're using Wireless.
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Jan 11, 2012
            Looks like german & canadian internet sucks equal ^^
            [IMG]
            For $35/month ^^
          • Mar 4, 2012

[IMG]
          • Jun 11, 2012
            Prior to this I was getting 28/0.88 ~ 35/0.88. But my ISP is doing upgrades and I guess my POI got better. Also I gave up on Big ISP like Rogers and Bell and went with a reseller so I get no-cap and pay extremely less. Still my upload sucks but eh.

[IMG]

A bit farther from me.
            [IMG]
            • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
            • Apr 9, 2007
              • Agree Agree x 1