Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Mr. J wanting to upgrade

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by MrJensen, Feb 26, 2014

1. Feb 13, 2014
    Okay so I have been considering long and hard about upgrading for awhile. My last gaming rig I built was back in 2002 era of Call of duty being amazing.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want a desktop "cheaper" vs getting a laptop. Don't worry I REALLY REALLY Want a alienware and am willing to dump thousands into it just for that cute little alien head that reminds me of my ex wife. "kidding never will get one". So I have been looking at asus laptops, I want this laptop to easily last me 5 years worth of video games. I will be using it to finish up my masters and just gaming and looking cool as well. Here is what I found so far my max budget would be 1300 for a laptop and desktop maybe someone can chime in and sweet talk me into an desktop.

Brand I am open to, I am not sure if the fans will actually keep the laptop cool or not.

Asus G750JW-DB71 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-231-089
  2. Oct 18, 2012
    Just get a desktop. You can pick out your opponents and probably last longer.
    FluffehKitteh, Feb 26, 2014 Last edited by FluffehKitteh, Feb 26, 2014
  3. Apr 3, 2013
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    • Oct 18, 2012
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Feb 13, 2014
        I am being lazy and don't want to build it my self. Suggestions on who to go with.. OHHHHHHHHH BEST BUY AHAHAHA.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        When I have time I say stuff and whatnots, was always present, let Brett do it because he somehow had time to write stuff and whatnots.

If, as you mentioned in OP, think that you'll be using this on the go for school then a laptop will make sense (else if a little for school and mostly home gaming then a Desktop is better). But do understand these gaming laptops are bulky and heavy. They weight a fracking amount of weight and require and incredible amount of space. I have a gaming laptop, uhm cough cough ariwnshware, and it's heavy. To add to that, they absolutely require a laptop cooling fan due to how you have a desktop with a dedicated GPU so they get hawt...and battery life drains fast (unless you plan on keeping it always near a power socket then eh).

Though if you have your heart set on it, look for something that can easily be upgraded (or have the body easily unscrewed). Most laptops I've used usually are easily to upgrade (memory and HDD). Beside all that, what's your budget?
      • Feb 13, 2014
        1300 max for a laptop maybe 6-800 max for a desktop, I already have two monitors. If you look at the link in my OP, you can see that the laptop has it set up where it blows the air through out the back? I am not sure if that would eb sufficient enough to keep it cooling for that specific laptop "gaming laptop"
      • Jun 11, 2012
        Eh they'll have some sort of under body vents that burn you're tight, or if put on a desk, blow the hot air back in to the boards. Laptop cooling fans that raises the laptop and also have a fan are great because you are not blocking the under body and air flows easier, also they are like 30$ (I just go one for 20$).

This is the issue with gaming laptops is that the amount you pay for it, you are able to get twice the power and heck even save a little. For 1.3K$ you can get a really great desktop, and since you have monitors you can push the boundary of it.

But if 1.3K, Asus do make really great lasting stuff with stellar build quality...usually. It has a 765M which is the 760 GTX I believe on the desktop (I have a 680M on my laptop and it runs games pretty extreme). Here are the major complaints from NewEgg buyers. Though most of it can be avoided by using a external keyboard and mouse and a monitor (do understand that laptop usually don't have dual-vid out). Also it's bulky as per normal gaming laptop. Though that 17" screen is noice for that price.

• Feb 13, 2014
        I havnt seen anything else worth wild or even cheaper that's comparable to this laptop. Any suggestions for a desktop?
      • Feb 13, 2014
        Sooooooo anyone have any recommendations or the one laptop i listed go with ? I would consider a desktop. I dont want to build it my self. I am out of the loop on what the latest technology is as far as speed wise goes ands o forth. I'd consider going down to last years model if its a hell of a del and it can run for several years 5+
      • Jul 27, 2008
        Thats kinda the problem, most manufacturer computers don't last for 5+ years. If you want a future-proof desktop you'll have to build it. I don't know if you've ever done it before but its very easy after the first 1-2 times. Now I can build a whole computer in an hour as long as any of the parts aren't fried. Sometimes that happens. But yeah, I don't know your experience with computers but to me I love building a new system its so fun for me. I do it every 2 years. SO if you've never done it look into it is not as hard as you'd think.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I just built my own PC in January, and let me tell you I'm so much happier I did. You'll get a MUCH better performance from it. You know exactly what is in your PC, and will have total control over it.

It's not hard at all, trust me. I had someone help, but that was just because I wanted to make sure I did it right. If you want a laptop/tablet type device for mobility I would suggest a Chromebook. $200-300 dollars (model dependent) and you can install a full linux desktop on it. Great deal IMO.
      • Jul 27, 2008
        Really man, building it yourself is the best bang for your buck. There's all kinds of tutorials and if your not sure what parts to get there are tons of forums where people can build a parts list for you. All you'll have to do it put it together. It's easy. Your motherboard will come with wire diagrams and just follow the steps. It's real simple and really fun when your comfortable with it.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jul 8, 2012
          The only time I'd go prebuilt vs custom is if I could get the same hardware for the same or less. It's possible with all these deals and what not, but even just building it is fun for me. I like the challenge of troubleshooting PC related things, so that's why I went with building it myself.
        • Jul 27, 2008
          For reals! The only somewhat difficult part I ever had was setting up bios stuff. I think that's the only difficult part sometimes and most of the time the bios is really easy and isn't a problem. It's just confusing at first if you are new to it. The only other bad thing is sometimes you put it all together and something came from the factory fried. There's quite a few times where I've had to Return a video card or Mobo. And that can be frustrating and troubling for someone new at building but I agree I have fun working it out too but I guess not everyone likes that stuff.
        • Jul 8, 2012
          Yeah My GPU is half dead, lol. The HDMI port is dead, but 2xDVI and Displayport work fine. so I've been lazy on getting a replacement. Still they make it easy enough so it's not a problem.