Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

MSI Afterburner Tool

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Ghost, Jun 22, 2012

What do you prefer?

Quiet GPU 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Cool GPU 8 vote(s) 100.0%
  1. May 14, 2011

Well my friend recently recommended me this software after he saw my GPU hit 90C while playing BF3. You could feel heat coming out of my case, like heat literally.

This tool lets you control everything on your GPU from your voltage to your clock speeds and most importantly your fan.

Capture

Now what I love abotu thsi tool is it gives you a graph that lets you set when you want your fan speeds to change. On my card the 6970 with a blower fan this is set to a ridiculous amount on stock settings. Something like 50% fan speeds at 80C.

Well this does mean you have to sacrifice the quietness of your pc for temps, but you could also do it the other way so your fans start late.

Capture2

I really recommend you download this tool and use it.

It also comes with a pop up so when your in game it shouws your GPU temps, GPU clock, Usage, Fan speeds, etc. You select what you want to display.

YES THIS DOES WORK FOR ALL CARDS, NOT JUST MSI.

Link: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Man if you're hitting 90 degrees you need to lower the core clock back to stock and raise the fan speed so that your GPU runs cool. You don't want to be stressing your card like that. I have 5 different profiles setup for my 7950.
    • May 14, 2011

It is at stock :frown: . Thats why my mate was shocked when he came over. Apparently the 6970 with the blower fan funs 70-80 though. With MSI afterburner it stays at 47-52C while at constant 90+% usage.

Hence i thought i'd tell everyone about this.

• Nov 11, 2011
      Aw man, why didn't you cook something on it? :razz: Yeah turn it down bro, make sure you have good warranty if you keep it at those levels *COUGH* :giggle:
    • May 14, 2011
      I smelt hot plastic, thats enough cooking for me.

EDIT: never going for a blower fan again!
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Then buy a nice pair of headphones or turn up your BF3 game because it's going to get loud. Even though I have such great cooling, it's still going to get pretty hot, especially in the summer months. So I sometimes have to bump mine up to 70% on the fan, which can get pretty loud.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Winter time is the best time for me, just put the case next to the window and let mothernature do all the cooling :razz:
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Just don't let moisture get inside of the case or you're fucked >.> Don't be the dumbass who decided to hook up a dryer ventilation tube to his computer, pulling air in from outside without any type of filtration.
    • Nov 11, 2011
    • May 14, 2011
      Yup I do that. It was annoying me last night though cause I had a friend over so i had to use surround sound, which ment my door had to be closed, which ment my room got hot, which ment i had to ramp up my case fans which ment it was even nosier :razz: .

I ussually dont mind the noise. You just forget about it if you dont think about it. 2x2000rpm delta fans on my rad means my cpu never goes more that 2C above room temp during gaming but also results in noise.
      Agreed.

Meh just stick a watercooling rad outside and you will nver have temp issues again.

Can't find it but linus made a vid while over clocking on air outside in Canada when it was like -20 outside.
      Ghost, Jun 22, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Jun 22, 2012
    • Ghost
      This message by Ghost has been removed from public view. Deleted by Ghost1995, Jun 22, 2012, Reason: DP.
      Jun 22, 2012
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Middle of the winter I close my door and open my windows. I'm a walking furnace so I love the cold air. My room gets <45 sometimes, and my 6770 was going below 16C
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Back when the 9600GTX was the top of the line shit, my system used to hit the single digits on the Celsius scale. Used to have like two or three tornado fans also. lulz.