Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

My Edumacation...whaddabout Yours?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by 0x7eleven, Jun 7, 2011

1. Mar 26, 2011
    So I know we have a lot of older admins and players on the servers. How many of you are currently in school (post k12)? I ask because after eleven years I decided to go back to school to become a teacher and I'm looking for insight into others experiences going back to school after so many years.

Thanks pF. :ninja: I have to go to class now. :geek:
  2. Apr 13, 2011

[IMG]

2nd year there
  3. Sep 26, 2010
    I attended a community college for 2 years and dropped out to pursue a career with the USMC or selling pillows for Pier 1 Imports...honestly my muffins got too watered down and soggy since they'd been used and abused for nearly 15 years, so I decided to take them and sell them else where.

The most valuable advice I can offer though: DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU HOW TO FUCKING STUDY...phew, sorry had to get that out of my system :whistling: find a way that's suitable for you and run with it. If you find that you can improve or cut back, then do so but if you truly want to reach a peak then you'll make it no prob.

Good luck man and I think you'll make a great teacher considering our interactions and conversations on the server :thumbsup:
  4. Feb 17, 2011
    i dropped out of collage on my second year to continue a job with HP in saudi

and now i am back in again continuing it after 5 years.

its weird at first. u feel slow and kinda behind everything
    but u get into it depends on ur collage system

and hey i have a final tomorrow and after tomorrow so wish me luck

and oh one tip. on ur first semester back. try not to take many classes at once. it depends on u. but its better to start on a slow pace till u figure how to organize ur time between work and study and fun.

and good luck :smile:
  5. Dec 6, 2010
    ~Listen Very Carefully. I graduated in 2010 from MSUB with a degree in Communications/Pre-Law and I would NEVER Recommend going back to College for several really-really sound reasons.

1. A College Degree Does Not Get You A Job, it gets you a Job Interview, you still have to sell yourself and be good at what you do.
    The problem with Today's Market is the marketplace competition, remember their are Oceans of Applicants out there with Way-More experience you have to contend with.

2. The American Dream is DEAD. Gone are the stories of 'Little Juan used to wash the dishes, worked real hard & now he owns the Restaurant, <--Locked Up Tight.
    Most employed people move up in this current market only after having been in a position for Many-Many years, & climb from inside the company [not hired into positions].
    That said, just land a job & do good work!

3. The index of dollars, from the index's inception in the 1960's shows that the amount of effort required to land a ~$60,000.00/yr job is not worth the stress to maintain
    nor is the salary actually packing the same amount of punch dollar wise [meaning inflation eats the value of those dollars]. Also, the Company will definitely Fire You at about the 2-year mark so they can hire a Fresh New Grad instead of giving you a raise, that's a Fact you can check out across industry, anywhere you like, they would rather pay another fresh face $10,000 a year Less!

4. Carefully consider the fact that Student Loans are going to claim about the first $500/mo of your paycheck for at least the 10-year max you have to repay.
    That's like having to clear enough for a part-time crappy jobs pay right off the top, then your bills.

5. If after all the evidence is considered & you still choose to go back, Choose Very Carefully!
    Engineering & the Medical Arena are likely your best choices for entry level careers; However, most people know this & the Competition is FIERCE. The pressure cracks most people.

6. If you're passionate about what you want to do, be the best at it & start working in the market now not later, the experience will definitely outweigh the Degree unless it's a Requirement.
    Most disappointing thing to see is a Totally Incompetent bimbo with big boobs, or someones Nephew running around as your Boss just because of Nepotism.
    Unfortunately that is nearly always the case in the workplace anymore & you truly kick yourself in the ass when you realize you should be the boss & that 17yr old kid should be starting where you are...

~Good Luck!
    Harsh realities lie ahead either way.

PS I have been unemployed since the week I graduated, also you live in Michigan, you're Fucked anyway...hard times there huh?
  6. Sep 26, 2010
    let's not forget automation and how the economy is a failed dream conjured by idiots who enjoy sitting on top of their personal pyramids...screw the monetary system, money doesn't give you shit but feeling passionate about helping others and contributing to society=you get muffins (personal) but muffins nonetheless
  7. Oct 27, 2010
    I studied Architecture for 3 years at the best architecture school in the country. I left it because: 1. I didn't like, 2. I didn't see architecture as having any further value in its contemporary form, 3. I realized how much I love computers and the internet because of their prospects.

I'm now going to school for Computer Networking and love it. It's been expensive, annoying, but one hell of a trip. I don't much care for classes and the like (I still go to everything though), I've always just taught myself most things. School nice because of the people you meet, not the classes.

Ultimately I would like to do research in... stuff-that-makes-me-sound-crazy, and it will take me some time to get to that point. I feel most people eventually find whats important to them and are compelled into their path in life.

What really important? be kind, be kind, be kind.
  8. May 5, 2011
    Ive taken 2 classes of Accounting...well new major lol. Ive graduated wit ha A.A and planning to get an A.S. Then go into nursing. I was almost thinking about being a teachers but you know I have a much more interest in learning about the the body parts / flesh / bones / etc.

Well Good luck on your schooling hope you get what you worked for :thumbsup:
  9. May 24, 2008
    I'll be graduating from high school in 2 weeks, but I have no idea what to do with myself after I graduate.
  10. May 15, 2011
    I'ma be starting college in 4 weeks and I must say I think it was the right decision. However, I do not believe receiving a higher education is right for everyone.

I know people who went to college or university and now they have great jobs. Cool. But on the flip side I know others who went and got their pretty papers and all whatnot, but they never got the job they went to school for. WTF right?

So unless it is really vital, I'd suggest not going for many have warned me about it too.

Yes, having the papers that say you can do something will definitely make you a shinning star to some employers but others may want experience cause they don't want some pussy from a faggy little university to flash them some papers with an egotistical attitude...

Seriously though. It all depends on who you are. Is receiving a higher education right for you and will it help you receive a better job in the future? This is a question no one else can answer except yourself.

Regards,

A Bag of Dirt
  11. Mar 26, 2011
    Thank you all for responding. Some more info about me... I'm going back to school to get a teaching job and my track is set so that I complete all courses needed to gain a teaching license in New Zealand. My wife is finishing her PhD in Cancer Biology and we are moving to New Zealand first chance we get.

So my getting a degree is needed to make myself viable in NZ's immigration office. Also, I'm a veteran and thus get VA Edu money for school. So if I go full-time they also pay me monthly housing and cost of living allowances. So going to school pays me like a job, which definitely helps in this crappy economy.

Thanks for the advice all. Hopefully everything works out for me and my wife.
  12. Sep 26, 2010
  13. Feb 21, 2007

I live in Auburn Hills, lol..

Anywho,

I did 4 yrs of college

4 years of medical school

I am starting year 3 of 5 in my general surgery residency. I am at POH

I will become a General Surgeon.

U can always shoot me a PM if ya want to chat more
  14. Sep 6, 2010
    Interesting stories here. Well, times have changed and now just a Bachelors' Degree is not enough. I finished BHSc degree, and now going for a professional diploma in HIM. For those who finished a college/university degree and can't find a job, its tough times but eventually you'll get a job or you'll do some more schooling and get a job :smile:
  15. Feb 1, 2011
    im a welder and machinist (been doing it all my life can thank my daddy for teaching me) i am supposed to go on the oil rigs with Diamond offshore drilling in brazile (however you spell it) in a year.
  16. Dec 6, 2010
    I'm currently on the road to my MA in Bio-psychology with a certificate of Neuroscience. Then, eventually my PhD in Complex Brain Systems.

I love school. Even though there is a ton of work, I always feel so accomplished when that 4.0 comes in. I am going to school for something I am beyond passionate about and the mere fact that I learn something new everyday, even if useless in the real world, will keep me in school for probably most of my adult life.

You may not be guaranteed a job with a degree, but you sure as hell grow to become a better person through the process.

Find something you love before you start your degree. I guarantee it will make the useless hours of filler classes seem worth it. Oh, and just because you're good at something..doesn't mean it's something you want to do for the rest of your life.

18. Mar 26, 2011
    I'm becoming a teacher because I always said to myself; "when I retire I want to teach", and then the realization came... Why should I wait until I retire to work my dream career. I've trained hundreds of people over the years and it is so rewarding. :biggrin:
  19. Jul 23, 2010
    I recommend watching "The Last Lecture:Achieving Your Childhood Dreams". It's on YouTube. Very inspiring.

I want my PhD too so I can teach. I might take a break for a bit and do so to save money for Grad School.
  20. Mar 16, 2008
    In this economy, anything below masters won't help much for most jobs. Other people have the same degree if not better with more experience and are willing to work for less just to get some form of income. I'm in school though hoping for the best. I already have a job held for me once I finish thanks to my mother being a networking queen of Northern CA.