Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

My new Diamond HD 6770 Graphics Card

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Brett, Jan 1, 2012

1. Dec 6, 2011
    For those of you who haven't ventured into the amazing forum post of Harvey and company's "Steals and Deals", you're missing out. A short term deal that Harvey found was a Diamond HD 6770 for $69.99 after rebate. I bought this sucker that same night and the next day it jumped back up to $120 + $7 shipping.

At first I had thought, "oh, well ok, a little entry-level card to boost my fps a tiny bit and a couple settings." Well, the day I got the card, my friend allowed me to access a handful of his games to test this thing out.

These are all being run on 1920x1080 Res., with AMD Anthlon II X3 425 @2.7 (stock), 6GB RAM, 500watt PSU, 500GB 5400RPM Seagate HDD
    And I had my GPU clocked at 910/1350 (850/1200 ref.) which it ran surprisingly cool, though I do turn the fan speed up a little bit whenever I go into a game.

Far Cry 2- Maxed settings, ran perfect.
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit- Maxed settings, ran perfect.
    Need for Speed the Run- Maxed settings (sadly is capped at 30fps) ran perfect.
    GRID- Maxed settings, ran perfect.
    Left 4 Dead- Maxed settings, ran perfect.
    Dead Island- Maxed settings, ran perfect.
    CS:S- I can run maxed settings even through Predator/Minas/Mako, but I can dip below 10fps for obvious reasons (napalm grenade thrown, etc.)

I wanted to try new, demanding DX11 games like BF3 and Skyrim, but I had (taken an arrow to the knee) some trouble with downloading so I decided not do them.

This was before I installed it (I love the cover, no stupid looking graphic, but a sleek design and feel.... too bad that faces down :dry: )
    [IMG]

And here's the monster in action. 60% fan speed = not heard over a regular volume game, also = never over 55C, even after 5-6 hours of CS:S intense play.
    [IMG]

I did not realize how well these value cards can perform, it will probably change my 2012 Ivy Bridge, 28nm GPU, build to something more affordable... (or not ^_^ )

Let me know what you think :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    P.S. If you know where to find a 6770 backplate, or somebody who custom makes, let me know please :grin:
  2. Mar 26, 2011
    Very nice Graphics card I have a save thing a little bet different than your I have AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series. :thumbsup:
  3. Feb 18, 2011
    I'm still waiting for the 7000 series :razz:
  4. Mar 19, 2011
    Question: Are the Middle Level Entries for the 600/7000 series cards going to be better than says the Higher End 500/6000 cards? Ex. Will a 650 have better performance than a 590?
  5. Dec 7, 2010
    Hopefully this will answer your question. These are actual real world benchmarks from the high end video cards:

[IMG]
  6. Feb 18, 2011
    Harvey are they factory default or are they overclocked?
  7. Dec 7, 2010
    These are benchmarks from various submitted brands. Some brands sell their cards overclocked, while others keep it at factory specs.
  8. Nov 2, 2011
    Nice! Real life success story that benefited from Harvey's steals and deals lol. :thumbsup:
  9. Jan 10, 2009
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    Same, I'm dying to see what this 7000 series can do, it's supposed to be amazing. The 7990 alone will be over $1k

Well it has been said that the 580 is better than the 590. And I'm not so sure about that but this should help. The 7950 is going to be equal or better than the 6970. and the 7970 will be equal or better than the 6990. So the performance scales somewhat, so the 650 would probably be equal or better than the 560/560 ti. Though, don't be too sure the 7000 series scaling is going to be the same as the 600 series scaling. I think Nvidia is going to best AMD with their 600 series, I'm just pissed it's going to take a while.

I would've instantly if I didn't have a shitty mobo :verymad:
  11. Dec 7, 2010
    If you looked at the real world benchmark tests, the gtx 580 is much faster than the gtx 590. Who knew?
  12. Dec 6, 2011
    How? All of the benchmarks I'm seeing are the 590 way over the 580

580 Vs. 590 Benchmarks
  13. Dec 7, 2010
    The Passmark Benchmark apparently only makes use of a single card resource. This is why any card that combines a dual SLI functionality into a single card suffers significantly in single performance tests. This is why even on your benchmark reference the GTX 590 is lower in a single instance operation than a GTX 580.

The bottom line: If you have 2 GTX 580's using SLI's it will be much faster than the GTX 590 which theoretically incorporates two into a single card.
  14. Nov 24, 2011
  15. Feb 18, 2011
    Immediately after the test some say the cards caught fire.
  16. Dec 6, 2011
    But you also have to remember, people buy graphics cards for fps, not good Passmark Benchmark scores =P But I see what your saying, and I knew what you were going to say. You can't compare 580's in SLI to a 590 because a 590 is around $750. Two 580's are $1000. Also in the 590, each GPU isn't equal to 580's if I'm looking at the shaders/etc. correctly.
  17. Mar 12, 2008
    Def. A double edged sword. If I was looking to save some space and cash I'd do the 590. But with two cards it will be faster. Preference, perhaps?

Both aren't bad though. I'm gonna be one of em waiting for the 7000 series.
  18. Dec 6, 2011
    A pro for getting one good card and not two decent cards is that you won't encounter all of the CFX problems and game glitches that some CFX cards will.
    The only problem getting a double GPU card is that your temps will be extremely higher (590 is 46C at idle compared to 37C for 580)

And definitely wait for the 2012 series, as it will be more energy efficient, less power consumption, and 3GB Memory!!! Holy shit!

The 7990 is heard to be priced at $1000 or more..... (compared to the 6990 it's expected to be about 2.2-2.4 times as good, let's hope this is true) This is generally guaranteeing you max settings for any game on a triple 1900x1200 display for at least a year (but probably more, although who knows? =P) This could also mean your other cards will be knocked down price wise, so you might want to pick up a 580 when they hit $400 or lower.

I'm keeping my eyes on the 7950 in general as CFX. Because I plan for a tri-monitor setup in a year or less.