Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

my new PC

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by 911Trigger, May 7, 2013

1. Feb 9, 2012
    technically i had it for around 3 months now but id like to start off by thanking brett for being the main reason i looked towards upgrading my PC. he gave me a build and i went on from there. we had difference in whether or not the gpu he picked was worth it and i tried a lot to budget lower than what he wanted me to get, but im fairly sure he could be somewhat proud now xD.

CPU: i5 3570k
    Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
    GPU: msi twin frozr GTX 680
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Ram: corsair vengeance 16gb (2x8)
    Storage: Samsung 840 pro + 830 (both 128 gb each.)
    Case: Bitfenix Shinobi /w side window
    PSU: Antec 650w (i wish to change this as it's not modular)
    • Like Like x 2
    • May 14, 2011
      Looks nice. You should look into getting a H220 as a future upgrade.
    • Jan 21, 2011
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Damn son, this is a nice build. For fully modular (remove every single damn plug), there's the AX750 from Corsair. It's a little pricey ($140-150), but it's a top notch PSU and has all of the cabled sleeved/heatshrinked, which looks amazing.

@Ghost I'm not sure if a 240mm would fit in his Shinobi, regardless I'd definitely think about a closed-loop watercooler for your CPU. It could be anything from a $50-60 Corsair H60 to a H100i, or even the Swiftech H220 that Ghost listed.
    • May 14, 2011
      Don't bother with the H60, most air solutions at the same price point will outperform it.
    • May 5, 2012
      That's a sexy build but that psu is weak.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Wattage means nothing, if that's what you're getting at. I can get more out of a good 750W than a cheapo 1000W.
    • Feb 9, 2012
      Honestly the biggest problem at the moment is space, and that's due to the power supply. 2 SSDs because I went for a budget build early and decide to get another one just recently ( the pro) . I'll probably look Ito buying a 500 gb hdd and Ill be done with my storage needs.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Well, I don't even think 500GB HDD's are worth it anymore since they're the same price as a TB. Shit, if you can find a good deal (like the amazing ones they had last week) you can snag a 2TB for $89.99 on Newegg. I think I saw a 3TB for $110-120 on there too, all 64MB cache/7200rpm too.
    • Apr 12, 2012
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Feb 9, 2012
        mm. maybe ill consider 1TB. Also i got my GTX 680 for $420 =D. my manager gave me a 10% discount (which is a lot cuz it's 0 discount normally)
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I mean, it's really just 1TB and up, since 500GB's (if you can still find them) they're probably $70ish and 1TB are about the same lol.
      • Nov 17, 2012

Care to share pictures or anything? It's fine if you don't want to :razz:
      • May 14, 2011
        You can get air get air coolers that perform better for the same price;

A H60 costs $60 Link
        A NH-D14 costs $78 Link

Considering the NH-D14 has two NF-A14s and the H60 has one SP120 the NH-D14 is cheaper, quieter and better at cooling.
      • Mar 19, 2011
        Large aircoolers are a fucking pain the ass to mount though, and trying to run my 8-pin header with my Phanteks heatsink installed was awful as well.
      • Feb 9, 2012
        Inside shot of my case. as u can see it's a cluster

[IMG]
        my Soundblaster Rage Tactics USB, with changeable light prisms =D.
      • Dec 6, 2011

Also, why don't I see a fan on the Hyper 212?
      • Feb 9, 2012
        it's on the right side. camo'd. and yeh, that power supply is a problem.

what im wondering is...should my side window fan be exhaust or intake..?

currently it's intake but having the power supply fan push air up, and gpu fan push air down. seems like im just letting that air trap in that middle area.
        911Trigger, May 8, 2013 Last edited by 911Trigger, May 8, 2013
      • Mar 19, 2011
        If I'm not mistaken isn't the PSU sucking hot air from your GPU and exhausting air out the back rather than blowing air upwards someone correct me... Why don't you flip your PSU the other way and try using the cable management cutouts. I wish i had a camera then i would post my rig but i dont =/
      • May 14, 2011